YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>here's the schedule

Thursday March 13th, 8pm The Mystery Wreck of Alum Bay (Isle of Wright)

Thursday March 20th, 8pm The Earl of Abergavenny (Weymouth)

Thursday March 27th, 8pm Mingary Castle Wreck (Mull)

Thursday April 3rd, 8pm HMS Lawford (Normandy)

Thursday April 10th, 8pm Stirling Castle (Kent)

Thursday April 17th, 8pm Medieval Wrecks of St Peter Port (Guernsey)

Thursday April 24th, 8pm The Swan (Mull)

Thursday May 1st, 8pm HMS Hazardous (English Channel)

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

What a bag of shite, bit like crossroads, why do tv companies always mess up diving stuff!

Is the site not protected then... anyone fancy raising an anchor for my garden.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Imported post

Just watched and, well I'll go first then shall I?

All I can say is...........'She'd 'ave it'

Sorry.

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Imported post

ok I'll go second then.

That was a bit quick Ben. spoilt me post. lol

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Its not worth the license fee. I know archeologists hate time team but this was miles worse. Like trisha, mixed with a cheap daytime version of a home lift DIY show, mixed with neighbours or worse sons and daughters, with a couple of idiots that should present a kids saturday morning show on BBC, all badly edited together and probably should of been shown on an obscure digital channel at 4am.

rant over.  If were lucky their boat will sink by the end of the series with all hands and give us a proper wreck, at least the programme will of added something to the world then!!

What a let down. Good job im considerably drunk or else I might of got upset!!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ben @ Mar. 13 2003,21:15)]If were lucky their boat will sink by the end of the series with all hands and give us a proper wreck, at least the programme will of added something to the world then!!
Don't hold back mate - let your true feelings out!  

·
Registered
147 Posts
Imported post

Hang on..........

I didn't see them filling out a droit and delaring that bit of timber they lifted.....

The ROW is not gonna be happy...Tut tut...

Cheers

Mark

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Ben's right - it was pish but nae license fee was spent on it.

It was a channel 4 prog (commercial tv) made by the same muppets that do equally awful tv above water.

Not much money was spent and it showed. However it could have been better with a decent writer.

"After the break we see if the water is wet and salty."

However, if it encourages a few folk to give diving a go then it won't all be in vain.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Hmmm, I got the impression the wreck detectives were trying to make a drama out of it all. A few mentions of divers in dangerous waters and all that!!!!!. talk about sensationalized.  

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>OK got to go along with you guys on this one.

Ben do you work for the BBC by any chance?

Must admit it was a bit tame and lifeless.
Jeremy Seal approached me last year about doing an episode on the Halsewell wreck site.
He gave up the idea saying our wreck wasn’t interesting enough and had no mystery so he went on to the Abergavenny. Can’t see what the mystery there is either its been sitting in Weymouth bay for 200 years and had its masts sticking out of the water at one point. I think Willie Wordsworth’s brother[John] was captain he blamed the pilot for loosing his ship.
Well if that was the best they could do then I’m glad he left us alone.
Mind you the diving on the Halsewell would not have been as easy as the Pomone, perhaps that’s what put him off as well.  To see anything on our site you have to think about moving ten-ton boulders.
As for the anchor if anyone tried to lift it, it would most probably fall to pieces, it would only be the crud that is holding it together.
Perhaps it gets better?

Or as Ben said perhaps their boat sinks now that would be interesting.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Watched it.  Will probably watch it once more to give it another chance.

My opinions?  Well, the introduction of "pretty lady-keen diver" and "Mr earring-vastly experienced dive master" made my heart sink.

The "ooh, look at the bad visibility" when you could see 3-4 metres dropped it further.

I nearly cried when the dendochronologist got out his Stanley Jetsaw and attempted to attack the middle of a huge lump of wood that was embedded in the bottom anyway.  There was no way in a million years he was going to get a sample like that - it looked so amateurish and seeing as he got a perfectly good sample 5 minutes later without damaging anything it was thotorughly premature.

The historical stuff was dull, dull, dull.  That Jeremy Seal (I thought his name was a joke!) really needed to work up some enthusiasm - at least TIme Team have that by the bucket load.

Nice to see they were obviously sponsored by O'three though!

The programme that followed it on the Titanic was better....I wouldn't have seen that if I hadn't been tuned in to Wreck Detectives so it did have some use  

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

And who wrote the script - was it just me or did they repeat everything about 3 or 4 times!
Should have known it was going to be pantswhen my buddy and I burst out laughing in the opening sequence when Mr. Super-DiveMaster said "Yes, it's a bit choppy today!" - looked totally calm!
Heigh ho, can only get better!

R

·
0 Posts
Imported post

The programme was very amateurish, I don't know if it is worthwhile watching again.
It was a combination of the usual "My god, diving is soooo dangerous" and some very poor writing and acting.
The diving is dangerous gets me hassle from parents when they watch as they think what they are told is true. The added sound effects when he was sawing, how bad was that? I was rolling about laughing. They had obviously recorded someone with a saw on the surface and inserted it.
 It is a pity, when they were setting up last year for the Swan and the Loch sunart wrecks I gave them some contacts for boats and kit and was looking forward to seeing the finished programme, pity it was so lame

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Robert have to agree with that one, I'm sitting there thinking, choppy er where, it gets worse in Stoney!
Lou you are right the prog. on Titanic was really moving. So sad that there were no happy endings, especially when they tried to open the graves, nothing left, true life rather than Hollywood - great stuff.
I expect you thought the viz stunning in IOW after last week.
The shingle bay looks good for a dive though - if I recall they were told not to kick up the silt, er where?
Matt

·
Registered
154 Posts
Imported post

what was all the...i think this was the only wreck of that time + or - 28 years crap..... 4 other wrecks hit the needles around about then, its a good job they had that "special " beams between the decks to save that 1st show.......it was clear on the needles with the cannon balls though...some nice underwater work looking at "19TH CENTURY" WRECKS.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Imported post

i think time team would have been better suited to the"lets get our saw out on this bit of timber" id only wish the bloody thing had snapped.. it may have made it even more laughable.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yes, me and Mrs abucksdiver watched it last night. Now Mrs abuckdiver will openly admit that she is a bit put off by big waves when she is diving... but she nearly deafened me with her cry of "WHAT!" when they said how choppy it was.

Also, was it me, or where they complaining about having to end the dive after 30 minutes at 9m due to running "dangerously low on air"... in water warm enough to not worry abut gloves... and some of their cylinders looked like 15s to me!

As to the presenter, I can only say that Baldrick would have improved the show, not made it worse!

Having said that, I'll probably try to watch the others int eh series, even if only because, however bad you think it was, it was probably still the best thing on at that time!

Regards
abucksdiver

1 - 20 of 61 Posts