YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I will shortly be doing adv. nitrox and deco procedures with trimix to follow sometime later.  Inevitably I will end up with at least one stage, possibly two in the future.

Rather than buying new regs for stages, I am thinking about taking my current cyclon regs off my twins and buying a new main reg and octo for the twins.

I admit that I do like the look of the Xstreams though they seem a little on the pricey side.  But then everyone else appears to rave on about Apeks.  Obviously I am looking for a reliable reg that will perform well at depth, preferably side venting but not essential.

Anyone have any recommendations on either the Xstreams, Apeks or others ?

Cheers,

John

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Also like my scubapros (Mk25 with r380 2nd stage). 120 or so dives, no probs, easy to breathe etc.

Don't really have axe to grind here, just fancied seeing 2 scubapro votes in first, makes a change from the usual (and surely soon to follow  
) "Apex!" deluge  

·
Registered
82 Posts
Imported post

I have just got rid of my cyclons and got some ATX 200s and must say that Im very impressed with them. Used them down to 60 a few times:)

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

The scubapro dave mentions are nice to use and mine have weathered well. Apeks are good, I have several, but stay away from the ATX 40s, if you have got the cash get 100s instead.

James

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Here you go,

If you limit your self to the big three you can't really go wrong, by this I meant Poseidon, Scubapro and Apex, I have had Apex TX100, which are fantastic and Poseidon X-Steams, which I run now and are, in my opinion, even more fantastic, the added advantage of also being ambidextrous. The only bad thing about the Poseidons is the blast of air that comes out when you turn them on. You find yourself making some inane remark to all the other divers who have now stopped to stare at you.

Andrew

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

There is absolutly nothing wrong with the Extreems except the price. Oh and the gasing up thing Andrew mentioned

I have Apex TX 50s as main regs TX40's as backup and I must say they are grerat regs. I have dived the extreem and they are very good but not so good that I would pay the aditional cost of upgrading. Any reg is only as good as its tuning level. My TX50's are tuned to perfection and are just on the freeflow level. My neckles reg TX40 is detuned and breathes like an asmatic with a head cold but it never free flows.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I had my scubapro MK20`s and S600 for some time now and in over 2000 dives no probs with them. Had to sell the old Cyclones as the spare part situation here is no good but loved the as well. But the S600 is a bit easyer to breathe from.
Michael

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'd say keep going with Cyklons. They're good reg, and then all your gear will be compatible. If you ever need to swap a reg or hose, or if you've had a problem in a remote location, you've got a complete set of spares in the form of another reg.

I love my cyklon, and given the chance now I'd buy another instead of the Apeks I use on the other pillar. Then again the Apeks cost me very little.

Not dived with an Xstream, only got a couple of breaths off one, but I'd give one a try if you can afford it. I'm yet to meet an unhappy customer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I must admit when i get my twinset i'm going to be buying cyklons for it. But at the moment i have the good old reliable TX50 & TX40 setup.

If your looking at buying the new Apeks range i seriously suggest having a go on one, i hate the new ATX range, the exhaust block is too short, and the bubbles got up your hood, up your face and everywhere but out of the way!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

I'll be honest and admit that I do really like my cyclons and have considered buying a second set, giving me full interchangability.  But they are starting to look a bit dated and the fashion junkie in me wants something shiny  

There is also the niggle about the suceptibility to freeflows that tends to haunt both the cyclons and jetstreams, but that I understand has been improved upon with the X's.

O.K. so at my current level of diving, the X's may be a bit overkill, but I also want something reasonably future proof if / when I might move on to the deeper stuff / trimix.

It seems to be a choice between the ATX 100/200's,
Mk25 s600's, Xstreams or another set of cyclons.  Perhaps I should put this to the vote

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Just a thaught but both my deco regs have omny swivels on them as it can be uncomfortable running a reg from a stage they tend to pull on the jaw a bit. Posidens have the advantage of being able to work upside down but you wont be able to put omny swivels on them as the hose is a diferent size to standard.

Whilst I fulley endorse the Apex TX range I am not such a great fan of the more expensive ATX. I found the path of the bubbles to be irritating and I also found it a bit of a hassel to inflate an SMB with the short exaust ports. I was on a ATX100 for about 45mins during deco in Egypt last week and it dosent breath any better than my TX50.  Only down side with the DST TX ist stage is hose routing on single tank usage. It is brilient for twin sets but sticking an additional reg and suit and wing inflator on it it can get to be a bit of a mess.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i bought my xstreme off e bay £215 brand new
take a look and maybe bid on one you wont be dissapointed
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws....rows=50
i actually bought one for me and one for my buddy over a month period and service was very good and both work briliantly

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>As I stated earlyer, fi the spares sitation was not as bad as it is down here for Poseidon I would have stuck to all 12 old metal Cyclones I had. But I am at the moment thinking about getting a Poseidon import contract for the Canary Islands then i have that sorted out
and then Michael will go back to the old bullitproof things.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I recently sold off all of my Poseidon regs, Jetstreams for back gas and Cyclons for deco.  I replaced them with Apeks TX 50's and TX 40's, I use a TX 50 as my main reg and a TX 40 as a necklaced back up and a TX 40 and TX 50 for deco with the 50 on my rich mix.  I personally think they are a more user friendly reg than the Poseidons and for some weird reason I seem to get less narcosis on the Apeks.  The Poseidons were very good in cold water but a bit crap in warm water, the Apeks seem to be good in both.

Anyone know why there seems to be a lot of nearly new X-Streams for sale?

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

have to say apeks tx50,dive with six of em "no problems".
no real experience with any other manufacturer so cant really give a comparison  but like to be able to adjust the interstage pressure which is simple with the tx.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I've got a Scuba Pro Mk25 with an upgraded 500 2nd stage I like it, I wish I had another one but I don't want to part with the money. I've got an ATX 40 that breathes good and costs less. I think the Apex ATX 40 package out performs my Scuba Pro Mk16 with the R190.
Recently I put the Scuba Pro 500 2nd stage on the Apex 1st stage and the breathing is as good or better than anything I've ever tried.  If I was buying regs again I think I would buy  Apex ATX 40's though there are a few things I don't like about the ergonomics of of the first stage.  I wouldn't buy an Apex100 or 200 or a top of the range Scuba Pro, because I don't think they out perform enough to justify the difference in price.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I had a scubapro regulator one of the piston 1st stage anti freeze models, it performed certainly as well as my current diaphram TX50. A personal experience with scubapro is that I've had problems getting a competent dealer to source parts and service the regulator.  Have to say I've  found the cost of parts and servicing rather steep, and its certainly warned me off Scubapro for the time being.

Not come across such a problem with Apeks, plenty of dealers, plus in my case their factorys only a couple of miles away. As seen on the past postings theres also scope for DIY maintenance if youre so inclined.

Agree with the comment on the air delivery with the Posidons, a crackin reg, but am led to believe the Jetstreams can be a little fierce.

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sandman @ Jan. 12 2004,20:58)]Anyone know why there seems to be a lot of nearly new X-Streams for sale?

Cheers

Simon
Yes,

A certen chap in Egypt who was planning somthing a little deep was sponsered by Posiden. He aparently had an absolute shead load of them and is gettting rid on EBAY

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 22 Posts