YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are a third of the way through 2010 people!
cant believe it!

anyway, how has the diving gone so far? i am on about 35 this year, so a good start (helped by some time in the red sea :D)

best dive so far?

red sea, seeing a manta ray

worst:

night dive in January, bottom time 3 minutes. green as grass, and black as yer hat!
waste of a boat trip, and time!

how about you? is 2010 shaping up as a corker of a year?

·
Official Wax-Mistress
555 Posts
Not Enough! :(

only 12 so far, actually, and only one of those out of the country (and in a pool at that!) and another 3 in the sea. Not helped by a layoff over Easter for illness either or my current work schedule which is pretty unforgiving.

On the plus side I have quite a few O/S trips planned this year: holidays to Sipadan & 2 weeks in Malta (I blame PeeBee and Sue :D), and in conjunction with work trips, possibly the Perhentian Islands in July, the Slovenian coast during summer and Greece in October -- so can't complain about work stopping me diving really :) And in terms of UK trips, I'm booked for at least two weekends in the Farnes, two 3-day trips to Eyemouth, two to Plymouth, several to Wales... so here's hoping!

Worst dive so far: not even a proper dive, first and only attempt to get in over Easter, spent 7 minutes bobbing about on surface and rest of weekend coughing and clutching my ribs.

Best so far: I had a cracking time last weekend even though it was 'only' Capers, got a real buzz from assisting on my first proper course! Good student, great company, two lovely dives and even some sunshine at the end of the day.

·
Juvenile member of Team Grey....
992 Posts
About 20. Most of them being training dives (cant wait to get these adv. nitrox and extended range courses finished.) But it's a real buzz when the skills you have spent several dives practising, all come together on your first pleasure dive. Shutdowns, mask off swims, air shares etc. it only seems like 5 minutes ago that these were real task loaders. Now they are what you do at the end of a dive, jut for fun. Cracking day at Capers today, but someone has to explain to me how 6 people can kick up so much crap as to make the new plane almost invisible. Crystal clear on the first dive. like diving through mud on the second.....

·
Registered
847 Posts
how's the writing going then? good luck for the final leg...
Having major problems with word limits at the moment. Limited to 10-12k of analysis. Dissertation is currently at 19000 words with 7-7.5k in the appendices and still have my conclusions chapter to write. Just finished writing a piece on using draft of ship, historic marine maps, time of wrecking and tidal data from 1803 to work out the approximation location of one of my wrecks. Not sure if its pseudo-science or is actually useful but it looks good on paper.

EDIT: Suffering from caffeine overdose at the moment - sitting here twitching whilst looking at my dissertation.. oops :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Having major problems with word limits at the moment. Limited to 10-12k of analysis. Dissertation is currently at 19000 words with 7-7.5k in the appendices and still have my conclusions chapter to write. Just finished writing a piece on using draft of ship, historic marine maps, time of wrecking and tidal data from 1803 to work out the approximation location of one of my wrecks. Not sure if its pseudo-science or is actually useful but it looks good on paper.

EDIT: Suffering from caffeine overdose at the moment - sitting here twitching whilst looking at my dissertation.. oops :D
just cross out every third word - it'll be fine!

·
Account Deleted
750 Posts
iv done 50+ cant say exactly,as i dont log my dives but working on 2 days diving a week, 2 dives a day, somtimes 3 dives a day

some weeks iv dived 3 days a week

i wouldnt say im addicted but i do like it :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Me too. Sent off grant proposal; now too wired to go home, too tired to do any more proper work... Hence hijacking threads on YD ;)
;)

I got funding for my MLitt from the AHRC last week. Only 16 given out in the country so bloody happy. Good luck!

just cross out every third word - it'll be fine!
Heh, I did this just to see what would happen to my dissertation. Results are below:

Original:

Using information from the ships Muster Roll (Table 6 and BT98/36.30), an average of 48 days for the journey between the Americas and Liverpool in 1775 (Table E) and a newspaper report from the 26th June 1757 (The London Advertiser) which lists ‘At Dominica, Traffick, Blower, from Africa’ it seems likely that the Traffick arrived in Dominica during late April or early May of 1775. This would have meant the Traffick spent between 9-12 months trading on the coast of Africa, considerably longer than the average 150 days for Liverpool ships from the same period (Table H) but it does match closely the 9 months taken by the Sandown (Mouser 2002: xii-xvi). The exact reason for the extended period the Traffick spent trading in Africa is unknown but it seems likely that disease amongst the crew played a part.

New:

Using information the ships Roll (Table 6 BT98/36.30), an of 48 for the between the and Liverpool in (Table E) a newspaper from the June 1757 (The London ) which lists ‘ Dominica, Traffick, , from Africa’ it seems that the Traffick arrived Dominica during April or May of. This would meant Traffick spent 9-12 months on the of Africa, considerably than the 150 days Liverpool ships the same (Table H) does match the 9 months by the (Mouser 2002: xii-xvi). The exact for the extended the Traffick trading in is unknown it seems that disease amongst crew played part.

It does actually work for a few sections, think it might lower my mark though :p

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
A big fat 0 :frown:
Working in Dubai for January and had no time to dive :frown:
Have had a really bad kidney infection since Feb (best part of 6 weeks on antibiotics), and spoke to the Dive Doc at the Midlands Chamber (who are really helpful!!) who said until it's gone no diving :frown:
And to top it off during investigations they found I've got a kidney stone - due for treatment next week, and guess what no diving for a minimum of 4 weeks after that :frown: So by mid June I should be able to dive (or re-do my Ocean Diver lol) which gives me a few weeks to get dived up for Egypt in September!!!! :teeth:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
4. The weather hasn't helped at all and also been really busy work wise. I usually go the to Azores but as this year we are hoping to build our house we may not go. Still I'm hoping to do many weekend dives but these are usually 1 dive per day. The rota is - get up, dive, have tapas for lunch then go back home to work in the garden in the afternoon so I can not complain!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Only 4, all in the Channel out of Dover, 2 with OK viz and 2 with cracking viz :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.