YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

In the course of the topic "Hands up all the English", it was stated that a pod of dolphin had been spotted around St. Abbs and Eyemouth.

Great news, however the comments of one poster have caused some ill feeling with me. Why you may ask? Because my father, my brother, me and the majority of the St. Abbs Community have been branded as B*ST*RDS!

Well this B*ST*RD would like a grovelling apology.

So, I await a reply.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

OK grovelling apology given.

I hope you appreciate I was wrong in assuming you fish for everything and that I jumped to a conclusion, which was ill founded and wrong.

I wasnt aware of the situation re no fishing, I did know its a marine reserve but forgot that it included commercial guys so this is an un-reserved apology. If you are at Stoney on the 21st I hope we meet, if not I am coming up to the Farnes in May and I am more than happy to meet face-to-face and apologise.

Matt

ps I have advised HeadUp of the situation I have caused and advised him that if he wishes to ban me from the site I will understand as I do not wish YD to be home of punch-ups.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Matt,
       St Abbs is too small a harbour for large fishing trawlers. The fishing done out is there is from pots and creels. No big nets!

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>ok, this could get very nasty

perhaps matt spoke a little heatedly when discussing the subject of dolphins as by-catch. understandable, but probably was not meant, and should not be taken, as a personal attack.

if, as stabbs said in another post, the claim that st abbs fishermen catch dolphins in their nets is untrue, then there is no argument, surely?

and surely stabbs can understand that some people do regard dolphin bycatch as abhorrent, and perhaps can understand some heated feelings?

just trying to avoid a fight!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 02 2004,16:49)]ps I have advised HeadUp of the situation I have caused and advised him that if he wishes to ban me from the site I will understand as I do not wish YD to be home of punch-ups.
Come on lets be realistic,  ok you made a comment that caused offence and apologised unreservedly.

Can't say fairer than that.  Shite if Heads banned everyone who wrote a post that caused offence to someone especially when they have apologised the boards would be a quieter place and the likes of Doug, Chasey, nitrox and numerous others would have plenty more time on their hands for diving  

Daz

Bugger, have I just caused offence to Doug, Chasey and nitrox  

If so I apologise unreservedly.  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Accepted no probelm

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 02 2004,19:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Matt has offered a very gracious apology, which I readily accept. Thank you.
very generous.
Matt
So stabbs, exactly "who" has he apologised to? Out of politeness if you expect someone with 1500 posts to give you a "grovelling apology" you should at least let him, and us, know who he's apologising to. Much as MATTBIN was wrong in what he said, and I'm sure MATTBIN admits it, it's not exactly right someone with 8 or so posts, and a funny nickname, opening up a thread and demanding a "grovelling apology", is it?

Also, IIRC, your first five posts were having a pop at someone as well.

In future instead of whinging at folk because they say something you disagree with, and we all do it, ain't that right AndyTC, put something productive in. There's a gig going to St Abbs, and an entire thread, in October; Have you added any usefull tips for the troops in it yet? Or are you happier just having a go when you disagree with someone?

Peter
PS-Must be a blue moon if I'm sticking up for you MATTBIN

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

There is nothing funny about the Nickname! I am a regular reader of the discussions on this website and I post replies when I feel the need. While I do not contribute posts regularity to this group, I have undertook a lot of voluntary work providing information, relating to St. Abbs, to the diving community.

I was instrumental in getting the BBC to site a web camera at St. Abbs.

I took exception with Matt's post, as the statement was incorrect and the sentiment offensive.

Oh, Pete Gibson was telling me tonight that the dolphin was playing in the bow wave of his boat, the other day.  

Alison and Billy Heather are excellent hosts, so I am sure you'll enjoy your trip in October.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hey Stabbs,

Matt might be an ugly misserable old git but almost everyone reading Matts post would have realised that it was a lighthearted 'off the cuff' remark and obviously not meant to offend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Stabbs,

Matt might be an ugly misserable old git but almost everyone reading Matts post would have realised that it was a lighthearted 'off the cuff' remark and obviously not meant to offend.
Offence may have been unintended, however it was still taken. Matt has apologised, therefore I consider the matter closed.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I personally think you were too quick to take offence.  There is no doubt that in some areas dolphins are bycatch, and there is a threat to dolphins from some fishing methods.  

Matt's language may have been strong, but the sentiment surely only applied to those guilty of the offence stated, not fishermen who could never do the harm?

Matt has been extremely gracious in apologising.  I doubt that I would have done the same given the tone of your demands adn the way you have gone about it.

Regards

Lou

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

In the context of previous posts the term "bastard" was obviously applied to the fishermen of St. Abbs, not the bass fishermen off the south west coast of England. I took offense with the term "BASTARD" as it is a personal insult, to me, my family, friends and community.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Might it be a good idea to just drop this thread? Neither of the 'principal parties' seem to want to prolong it.

Just an idea...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Tom,  

The problem is that Peter hit the nail on the head.  Matt is a longtime poster, known to many of us and a friend of ours, who made a comment that whilst harsh was not unfounded and was publicly pilloried for it in a most unfitting way.

Now Matt may have the decency to take it no further but that doesn't mean that I won't show my support for him.  This is an open forum.  It runs well without the "shaming" tactics used here and I would rather that it stayed that way.

When I have taken serious offence at a statement made by another user I dealt with it through the very useful PM system.  I suggest that others might do the same.

Lou

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stabbs @ Feb. 04 2004,11:15)]In the context of previous posts the term "bastard" was obviously applied to the fishermen of St. Abbs, not the bass fishermen off the south west coast of England. I took offense with the term "BASTARD" as it is a personal insult, to me, my family, friends and community.
To be honest, if you're going to take personal offence from things said in places like this, it's probably best if you limit your web access to a Tweenies discussion forum or something similar.

Personally speaking I don't think Matt had anything he specifically needed to apologise for.

Remember, this is the Internet. It's not real life.

GAFGM
Rob.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts