YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the large pieces or ordinance located on the Thistlegrom on the port side of the vessel in the debris field just at the base of the stern section are. Are they bombs or shells? The reason I am asking is that they seem too big to be 18in shells but have percussion caps at the ends. I do know that bombs are often transported with out the fins attached as these can be damaged and with out the fins attached you can gat more in any given space. So anybody know what they are. Sorry no photos as not carrying camera.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gogs
Thanks yes that what I was talking about. It just seemed that they were so big in diameter and I thought there were no RN ships in that theatre of operation in 1941 that had guns that big. I was also told no mobile land guns come any where near that bore so thats why I was puzzled.

·
Facetious,knob git!How many more insults can I get
158 Posts
I think they are 15 inch shells for the Queen Elizabeth class battleships of the Mediterranean fleet. They had seperate shells and cordite propellent, 1 shell to 4 bags of cordite rings a bell.

When I dived her about '97 there was one teetering over the bomb crater high up on the wreck, and I could have pushed it off.... not too be recommended! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts