YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi,

For anybody on their way out to Sharm I've just received an email from Emperor Divers advising that as from yesterday the Egyptian Goverment has banned diving on the above. The boat operators are trying to get this overturned but Emperor doesn't hold out much hope that they will.They have given no reason as to why they have done this.

Cheers

Steve

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

They do this all the time, the last major ban was that only twin engined boats can go there, that lasted two weeks.

Bet you a pound to a penny it lasts a week or so.

Andrew

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I thought the Thistlegorm had a ban on it already?
I went out there in y2000 and the dive operator told us we weren't officially suppose to dive it then. The boat operators simply put on their "where they're going" sheet, that they're going to dive the nearby reef (Ras something or other). Not sure about the Dunraven.
Jen S

·
Registered
72 Posts
Imported post

Hope it's not true. Went to Egypt in 2002 and didn't dive it as my mate had only just done his OW. Going again in June and was hoping to do it this time

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>bugger  not that bothered about the thistlgorm but please not on the dunraven

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Seems AndyP's half right so far - received a further mail from them this afternoon to say that the Dunravens's now open.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daveking @ Feb. 17 2004,18:43)]bugger  not that bothered about the thistlgorm but please not on the dunraven
hmm haven't you got that the wrong way round ? the Thistlegorm is a superb wreck whereas the Dunraven is mediocre !
I was out of their recently and was told officially the Thistlegorm is not meant to be dived but everyone still does !
Steve

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>nope i prefere the dunraven
thats a lie  rosalie moller is better than both

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

As far as I am aware diving the Thistlegorm has always been banned because its a war grave. This is why there are no perminant mooring stations on her. The Egyption govt regularly slap rules on dive boats in a feeble effort to protect the wreck but they are just ignored. The Thistlegorm makes millions of pounds for them and they are lothed to give it up.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

AndyP was right - received a mail from Emperor this afternoon to say diving to now back on on the Thistlegorm.

Cheers

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts