YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

How many of you lot have had 'keepsakes' from this wreck?. I'm only asking after talking to a mate who has just come back with some nice little trinkets.  I thought you'd have problems getting stuff back like he did when he was in Norway.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Now what would I want with a broken rusty bit of motorbike? I could do that here at a much reduced price and without loads of other getting in my way

Now if only I could get that engineers vice from the Rosie...

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Imported post

I can't wait to get to the Thistlegorm.   Never dived it!   I believe it was on its way to the 8th Army in North Africa?  My dad was an Officer in the 8th army.   Unfortunately he died before I took up scuba diving.   I would loved to have asked him about this wreck, whether he was waiting for supplies and what effect the sinking had.   Hope to get out to it at Christmas and, yes, I am expecting diver soup when I get there
  Hope there's still plenty left to see!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

There's a bit less now Doug's mate has been there.

In all seriousness, it is a fantastic wreck but it is somewhat spoiled by the obvious vandalism that has gone on.  I'm suprised the guy could find anything even vaguely worth thinking baout nicking - it's all pretty much tat there unless he somehow fitted a whole bike into his goody bag.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Just got back from Sharm myself where we made the slog to the thistlegorm...was a very impressive site indeed...

However, our visit was marred by the sheer numbers of divers who were at the site and was somewhat disappointed by the way that some of the divers were behaving. They had no respect for the wreck and were practically bulldozing their way round it. On our penetration dive we were trying to come out of a hatch from a confined space and they were trying to come down on our heads...very dangerous.....

I know that the thistlegorm brings alot of money into Eqypt but I really do think that there should be some kind of restrictions placed upon diving it as it quite literally turning into a 'wreck' due to lack of respect...

I heard that there has been fatal accidents on dives there and after what I saw I am really not that surprised...more are sure to happen if nothing is done...

Anyway, rant over! Get there if you can...it is well worth the time and effort. But respect costs us nothing..........

Scubachick

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I reckon its 50/50 that the train tender will fall on a diver one day.

Thankfully the Rosalie Moller is too deep for many, and only for Liveaboards and day boats from Hurghada (IIRC). Many do the Ulysses at Gorbal, never knowing what is a mile away. It's good to be the only boat there all day...

Adrian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Did both the T'gorme & the Rossie Moller last new year. Took wings & twinning bands so had both wrecks to ourselves as everyone else had to ascend. The Rossie's fantastic. Got some pics on my website if you fancy a look. Let me know what you think.
Good diving
Rob

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

The Rose Le Muller has my vote as the top wreck in the red sea. Its 50m to the bottom but upright so only 35 to the deck so not that bad but she is still the most intact and interesting wreck I have dived and that was over two years ago.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Sorry

I'm just dead against people spoiling dive sites for thier own personnal crusade to see how much scrap they can keep in their garage.

Not the type of person I want to dive with, and I make no appologies for it.

James

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Doug, I hope you are not condonning the removal of items from wrecks such as the Thistlegorm.  I first dived this wreck in 1997 and I have some really nice pictures from the wreck, motorbikes and Ford trucks complete with windscreens, however the last time I was there New Year 2002 I was very dissapointed in what I saw.  In fact I felt very upset when our day on the wreck was over, it didn't seem like the same wreck hardly anything was the same, petrol caps missing windscreens broken, the best dive we did was a night dive.

I understand that it is also an offence to remove anything from it and should be left for other divers to enjoy and learn about.  So when visiting these sites take nothing only memories.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I dived the Thistlegorme barely 2 years after it had been rediscovered. We did  it as an overnight trip from Sharm and were the only boat on the wreck. In those days there were only a couple of boats went there each week but the plundering had already started. The diveguides and instructors from Sharm (sadly mostly Brits) had been systematically removing everything of interest for almost 2 years. Our diveguide proudly told us he had the entire medical kit, complete with surgical instruments, hypodermic syringes, vials of drugs etc etc, in his flat in London. He and a couple of others were caught by the Egyptian Coastguard on their last looting trip and spent 3 nights in jail but he thought it had been worth it. I'm told the BSA badges have now disappeared from all the motorcycles, as have the toolkits from under the saddles. Very sad! The wreck itself is also said to be deteriorating rapidly as a result of all the divers and their air bubbles. It was a major mistake not regulating the number of divers allowed to visit the wreck and policing it right from its rediscovery, in my opinion.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Dec. 27 2003,20:25)]Sorry

I'm just dead against people spoiling dive sites for thier own personnal crusade to see how much scrap they can keep in their garage.

Not the type of person I want to dive with, and I make no appologies for it.

James
<font color='#F52887'>3 cheers! someone after my own heart, I hate all these butch "I can go deeper than you" types that seem to be doing all this deep stuff just to get to a wreck and salvage it.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 28 2003,18:51)]The wreck itself is also said to be deteriorating rapidly as a result of all the divers and their air bubbles.
So it's a bit pointless leaving all these "shiny" things down there, isn't it?

Peter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 29 2003,13:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 28 2003,18:51)]The wreck itself is also said to be deteriorating rapidly as a result of all the divers and their air bubbles.
So it's a bit pointless leaving all these "shiny" things down there, isn't it?

Peter
Well, I suppose you could argue that they should be taken up but in that case properly conserved and displayed in a museum, not left on somebody's mantlepiece to be shown off to his/her circle of friends and relatives. Until such time as the money to conserve and display them is found, they should be left strictly where they are for others to enjoy.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnDuncan @ Dec. 29 2003,12:22)]3 cheers! someone after my own heart, I hate all these butch "I can go deeper than you" types that seem to be doing all this deep stuff just to get to a wreck and salvage it.
Not fair,

I go deep after wrecks to see ones that are NOT torn apart by divers. All the shallow wrecks are plundered to hell so if you want intact you have to go deep, dive unknowns and risk a lot of cash on Tmix on what could be a pile of rocks.

I do take trinkits off of wrecks but I do not now and have never owned a lift bag and I doubt if I ever will. To be honist I look upon the crowbar mob with amazement I mean who the hell wants to get a bloody great hunk of brass and stick it in their living room.

Mind you I dont criticise because the fact that I lift plates cups and trinkits makes me almost as bad but I dont ripp the wreck apart to get them.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Mark, I do understand the incentive to dive deeper to explore virgin wrecks, but I do not understand the salvaging of them. I wasnt critisicing deeper divers, just deep diving scrap merchants.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

Hiya, I'm new to this site but when I saw the text on the Thistlegorm I thought I'd stick my oar in.  No there isn't much left and certainly nothing that anyone would want to take for a sovenir, unless you are into old welly boots. I've just got back from a fantastic week in Sharm, the reefs were fairly quiet and a pleasure to dive, the fish life was good with turtles, dolphins and a few sharks even the Thistlegorm was okay with only three boats moored up when we arrived (still three too many though). I can only shudder at what this site would be like in high season-a bit like the jetty at Stoney on a Saturday in July I should imagine.  The site was an excellent wreck to dive but I'm glad I've done it, I won't do it again simply coz of the sheer number of divers that are always there.  

Tracey

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Topcat @ Jan. 22 2004,13:49)]Hiya, I'm new to this site but when I saw the text on the Thistlegorm I thought I'd stick my oar in.  No there isn't much left and certainly nothing that anyone would want to take for a souvenir, unless you are into old welly boots.
I believe they are in fact all that remains of gas protection suits, not "old welly boots".

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Topcat @ Jan. 22 2004,12:49)]
No there isn't much left and certainly nothing that anyone would want to take for a sovenir,
Tracey
 You wouldn't say that if you saw the photos i got this morning.  5 portholes (1 of them 25 inches across), bottles, Valves.  I'd love to have one of the portholes.  

1 - 20 of 21 Posts