YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I have just been on to Thomas Cook airlines regarding pre-booking some diving equipment allowance. They have confirmed we can have an extra 10kg for dive gear, but the dive gear has to be packed in a seperate dive bag?

Have any of you guys travelled with Thomas Cook airlines to Egypt and if so did you pack all your gear in one bag or have to pack it in two seperate bags?

Cheers

Gazza

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I flew Thomas Cook to Sharm a few weeks back and we were allowed an extra 5Kg each (i.e per diver) if we showed "PADI" certs at check in - they specified PADI so I don't know how you'd get on showing TDI, PSA, GUE, SSI, BSAC etc....

If you think you are going to be over the 25Kg (20Kg + 5kg) then you can buy an extra 15Kg and split it between you for about £60 - otherwise it's £5 per Kg over and they weigh hand luggage as well.

Anyway - no mention of it being in a seperate bag and no problems at check in at all.

·
Optimist
119 Posts
We use Thomas Cook to Corfu, and they give us 10kg each extra which is good as the wife gets 10 kg and she doesn't dive (extra 20kg for me). Never had them ask for certs or dive gear in one bag. Had to ring them 2 weeks before flying though.
TonyG

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys,

Well i've rang em twice now, first a week or so ago and again today just to check they had made a note of the extra 10kg and they have.

I went to Cyprus last year and my bag was just under 30kg and they never batted an eyelid with it, so think we will risk it and see what happens.

We will have our PADI cert cards with us anyway, so if we get 20kg +5kg and have to pay for the remainder at £5 per kg it's not the end of the world and will save messing about with seperate luggage.

Cheers

Gazza

·
Registered
179 Posts
Used them twice for taking dive gear and it was all booked in one case. they didnt ask for Cert cards and didnt even bother asking what was in the case. My tickets did say 20kg on them but when i questioned it with travel agents they'd put a note on system saying we had an extra 10kg allowance.

·
posts occasionally
157 Posts
hi,

I'm just back from sharm. I flew from Glasgow > Sharm with thomas cook.

Called them before to ask how I could get extra luggage allowance. Was told that I could take my dive kit as long as it was in a separate bag with only dive kit (didnt mention any weight limits tho!!!)

In the end I had a dive kit bag of about 25kg and a clothes bag about 10kg.

Nobody asked any questions at Glasgow or Sharm!! Bonus!!

Ally

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what they told me Ally, but from what other people have said and only taking one bag to Cyprus last year I'm reluctant to mess about with two bags.

Suppose worse case we would have to either pay excess or buy another bag from airport.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
I've flown with Thomas Cook a couple of times to Egypt... got a conformation email from them about the baggage allownace... nothing to say it had to be in seperate bag though...

My family (5 of us, plus 2 kids) did get stung by Thomas Cook at Gatwick last year with excess baggage charges though.. we were 25kgs over spread over about 8 bags... think they wanted somewhere in the region a £150... I battered them down to £80, so can't complain really (got away with it coming home)... they always ask for cash... funny that!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i flew with thomas cook - they sent out a confirmation letter which i had to show at check in - meant to show certification cards aswell but they didn't ask for them! got 10kg each qualified diver

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I asked about getting something in writing, but they said they didn't do that and all their chek-in staff are aware of the extra allowance. They confirmed they had made a note of it on their system, which would be picked up by the airport staff.

It sounds like it's pot luck depending on who you get on the day at the airport.

Cheers

Gazza

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just our luck the BBC film crew will be there for the next episode of "Airport" and we'll be the next skit after the bloke that was too pissed to board his flight after missing check-in :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts