YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The three fingered diving gloves are reputed (per an article in an old 9>90 I was reading) to be comparable to dry gloves for warmth when diving in cold water.

Have any of you lovely people used them. What is your opinion. Who makes them.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Have got some, but haven't tried them in cold water yet - they're a newish buy. A tad awkward for a few tasks - like holding the wing inflate unit - but nothing that can't be dealt with with a bit of practice.

I believe John Gulliver uses them fairly extensively..

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Dec. 11 2003,11:16)]Have got some, but haven't tried them in cold water yet - they're a newish buy. A tad awkward for a few tasks - like holding the wing inflate unit - but nothing that can't be dealt with with a bit of practice.

I believe John Gulliver uses them fairly extensively..
Dominic,

Please go and have an ice cold bath immediately, whilst wearing the gloves of course, and let me know your comments on the gloves

If you don't mind my being nosey - what make, where from and how much?

I only really need them (I think) for pond diving - I can cope in the sea with my normal gloves.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Bought some mitts (Three fingured gloves) recently , made by O3, 5.5mm thick and seem like they will do the job (havent tried mine yet - let you know after the weekend) think they cost around £30

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

I haven't used them myself but a mate of mine swears they are (I quote) "...100 times better than the best normal glove - dog's nuts..."

I think he likes them  

Dave.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've sung the praises of three-finger mittens on these boards and Divernet several times. In the water, they are just as warm as drygloves, in my opinion, and far more convenient. I've stopped using my drygloves. My three-finger mittens are 6 mm, made by Mares. Unfortunately, Blandfords (Mares' UK agent) do not import them into the UK, which is a pity because they are far better than any other make I've tried. They are supple, easy to put on and take off, long enough to cover the whole of my wrist seals and warm. They do take a little getting used to but once you have dived with them a few times you can do anything with them that you can do when wearing ordinary 5-finger gloves. The only time my hands are cold is when I take them (the mittens  
) off, but that's easily solved by having a towel at the ready and lined plastic workman's gloves to put on while stripping your gear.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 11 2003,14:21)]I've sung the praises of three-finger mittens on these boards and Divernet several times. In the water, they are just as warm as drygloves, in my opinion, and far more convenient. I've stopped using my drygloves. My three-finger mittens are 6 mm, made by Mares. Unfortunately, Blandfords (Mares' UK agent) do not import them into the UK, which is a pity because they are far better than any other make I've tried. They are supple, easy to put on and take off, long enough to cover the whole of my wrist seals and warm. They do take a little getting used to but once you have dived with them a few times you can do anything with them that you can do when wearing ordinary 5-finger gloves. The only time my hands are cold is when I take them (the mittens  
) off, but that's easily solved by having a towel at the ready and lined plastic workman's gloves to put on while stripping your gear.
John,

I am guessing you have a neoprene dry suit.

My suit ends in a "baggy sleeve" so pulling the gloves on beyond the wrist bone (ish) is no go.

Would the gloves still be OK or do you think I would not be able to do them up properly.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Wotcher Braahn,
just ordered a pair from those nice people at O'Three, £29.95 inc carriage & they're in the post.
Will be trying them on the Mol dive this w/e assuming the weather behaves.  Keep yer posted bud.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Dec. 11 2003,14:45)]Wotcher Braahn,
just ordered a pair from those nice people at O'Three, £29.95 inc carriage & they're in the post.
Will be trying them on the Mol dive this w/e assuming the weather behaves.  Keep yer posted bud.
Nice one - you little sea monkey, you.

What thickness are they?

I am trying to ensure I have some surprise presents under the tree so I might order some anyway.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Dec. 11 2003,15:42)]John,

I am guessing you have a neoprene dry suit.

My suit ends in a "baggy sleeve" so pulling the gloves on beyond the wrist bone (ish) is no go.

Would the gloves still be OK or do you think I would not be able to do them up properly.

Rgds
Bryan
Wrong guess, Bryan! I have a menbrane drysuit. The mittens are of the gauntlet type with a Velcro strap at the top and very flexible, so they're easy to pull over your wrist seal.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Do three fingered mitts enable you to signal "no I won't give you any air" to a  wildly thrashing blue faced buddy?
This is an important consideration.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

As long as the fingers have enough mobility to curl around to the thumb enabling you to give the universal 'Onanist' signal you'll be fine.
If buddy's slow on the uptake - using the same grip, circle your hand round the top of your head a couple of times and jerk it upwards suddenly in the manner of a tightening noose and they should get the message.

The amount of stuff PADI left out of the OW manual....Tsk tsk.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Mine are Poseidon 5mm, from Runneymede dive. They sell them at Wraysbury too, but they didn't have my size..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie(2) @ Dec. 11 2003,22:45)]Do three fingered mitts enable you to signal "no I won't give you any air" to a  wildly thrashing blue faced buddy?
This is an important consideration.
Richie,

As long as you can make a fist in the mitts,  just punch your buddy until they get the message...  

Hey I'm sure that making a fist signifies danger in some of the PADI literature,  it's just taking it one stage further  

Daz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Dec. 12 2003,13:41)]Mine are Poseidon 5mm, from Runneymede dive. They sell them at Wraysbury too, but they didn't have my size..
The Poseidon ones are warm and well made but not as supple as Mares', making them a bit harder to put on and take off and not as easy to work with, for example operate camera controls.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Imported post

Look closely....

If you look very closely at Mickey Mouse he has a nice white pair on...

Chris

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 12 2003,14:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Dec. 12 2003,13:41)]Mine are Poseidon 5mm, from Runneymede dive. They sell them at Wraysbury too, but they didn't have my size..
The Poseidon ones are warm and well made but not as supple as Mares', making them a bit harder to put on and take off and not as easy to work with, for example operate camera controls.
John,

Your recommendations for the Mares mitts have me impressed. I looked on the Mares web site and found gloves but no mitts.

Do you happen to know if they are viewable on line.

Maybe I can get some from France.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Bryan, As I said, Blandfords (Mares' agent) do not import them into the UK, for some reason. I e-mailed them about 6 months ago suggesting they do so and pointing out that there must be a market for them but they didn't even bother to reply. I believe the mittens are available in all the Scandinavian countries but I don't know about elsewhere in Europe, though Kinetic wasn't able to get them in Luxembourg. Anyway, if you let me know your size – small, medium or large (I take medium, have smallish hands) – and address, I'll be pleased to get you some and post them to you. They don't weigh much, so the postage won't ruin you  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>oh, John you may have opened the flood gates, I was just thinking how good they sound and how cold my fingers get

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Mine have just arrived! Happy Birthday to me....
They're 5mm, very supple neoprene but a bit of a bugger to get on cos of the inner lining and my big & manly hands, though once on they're the right size & comfy.  Some squirty spray for the inside pre-donning may be of help here - could be the start of a new thread.....  Best method to ensure easy donning of wet & recalcitrant gloves?
They don't have the gauntlet/strap arrangement that John's have but look like they'll sit on my neo seals a treat.
Off to find a pond to test them in...

EDIT: The 'you should of brought enough gas cos now you're gonna die, muppet' signal works quite well.  Also the way they group yer fingers together, you can do a passable 'live long & prosper' in case Spock gets the buttons wrong and drops The Be-girdled One next to me at 60m. Oh the delicious irony..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts