YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>seeing the thread title "Ill while diving" reminded me of something one of my instructors said during my club diver course.  They reckoned that the regulator second stage (club regs are Apeks Tx40) could cope with you puking through them with no problems; in fact, he reckoned, it would be good for your buddy as the, ahem, detritus would then encourage fishies to feed close to you.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this (either as the puker or as the buddy of a submerged spewer?  Could you puke through a DV?  I guess you would have to clean it before giving it back to the club in the case of club kit though!

Andy

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yup one of my mates can vouch for that, I shall ask her for the finer details and report back

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

vomiting through regs is possible but even more unpleasant than out of the water.
if you got to "it happens" make sure you keep the reg "in" and throw up through the reg (not high on my list of things to do)when you are done give the reg a good blow through to try and clear it.
keep an eye on it for the rest of the deco/dive and give it a good going over asap after the dive.
as for entertaining any other divers i dont think you would need any fish,you would be a one man show.
cheers,enjoy
barrie

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

My advice is if you think your going to throw up, switch to your pony ,octo or back up reg and throw up through that then switch back to the primary once your finished. This is a plesentness issue and also as the back up reg is usualy detuned and less likley to free flow due to bits of puke in the reg. On a twin set or pony reg it can be isolated if it does.

Also hold the reg in your mouth as if your like me you take a big gasp of air after throwing up so if you have spat the reg your in trouble.

It can be done with most regs but  I here Jetstreems are a bit problematic.  The diced carrots cant get through the grill  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I have thrown up underwater.  It wasn't nice, but it did indeed attract the fish.  

I did it first through my reg but took my reg out the second time - that is much nicer....

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>A guy in our club threw up and crapped himself simultaineously on a dive in St Abbs the reg [TX50]was fine but the drysuit was never the same again

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A guy in our club threw up and crapped himself simultaineously on a dive in St Abbs the reg [TX50]was fine but the drysuit was never the same again
I've just woken the entire house up laughing at that - you got me in trouble but thanks for that little diversion

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It's perfectly possible to throw up through a reg. But it's actually quite difficult - I recall one dive where the order of the day was: *heave* *retrieve DV* *breathe* *heave* *retrieve DV* *breathe* etc...

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A few years ago we went on a club trip and one of out guys was having trouble with his regs, so someone took a look at them at the end of the day, he had a some time clearly trown up in his reg it was clogged up with whatever he had tried to chuck.

Moral of the story take your reg out first.  

FB

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Removal is definitely the key. Trying to force any sizeable chunks through the exhaust is going to cause problems, you've only got to get a bit of carrot stuck and you're going to get a mouthful of water. Not what you need when you're busy hurling.

You do need to be careful, as the urge to breathe in hard after vomming could cause problems. Get a reg in there quick!

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Yes, you can throw up through a reg, both myself and wife have done this on a very rough dive, we should never have been there but the guide reconed he had been out in worse.

I cringe at people saying take the reg out though. After spewing your guts up, and yes, attracting lots of fish life, your bodies immediate reaction is to take a deep breath. (Remembering I've done it.) As this is not an excercise most people practice to the point of becoming instinctive, you will probably take a large gulp of water and drown. But then, when your feeling ill, this might be a welcome scenario!

James

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Jan. 15 2004,14:43)]As this is not an excercise most people practice to the point of becoming instinctive
<font color='#810541'>I can't imagine it being the most popular of skills development courses.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>I've never thrown up through my reg...but for a bet, while I was in the TA, I threw up through my nose!!!! I got an extra magazine full of ammunition for that!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hurt though!!!!!!!!

x x x

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

You should have got a medal.

Could you imagine doing that during a dive....seeing the level increase in your mask? Nasty

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Was helping out with some new Scandanavian divers in Gran Canaria last year. I was asked to buddy one diver who got really seasick but insisted he wanted to finish his course and do his open water dives. He was also complaining bitterly that on his skill sets (on a 2m platform in the marina) that he saw very few fish (like we can just magic them out of nowehere!). Anyway, we set off and within 2 mins of being in the RIB he was looking particularly dodgy. 5 mins out and we have reached the drop off point (5m max depth). He looked a little white but insisted he was alright and "had better see some fish to make it worthwhile" - anyone see whats coming yet??

Dropped down to the sand and he starts to retch - reached over ready to take him back up and before I can do anything, I realise he's about to throw! Quickly put my hand on his reg to keep it in place (brave man that I am) and up it comes!! Talk about fish!! Must have seen every yellow snapper off the west coast of Africa after about a minute!! Once he'd settled down, I took him back up and onto the boat. Not content with the experience, he insisted on lying on the RIB at the FRONT OF THE BOAT as we headed back to the marina. Well, we just HAD to open up the engines and attack each wave as if it was our last

Got him back in and gave him his money back and told him to f**k off as he obviously wasn't worth any more effort and definitely wouldn't listen to any advice from anyone else.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've done the old puking thing twice through my reg. First was post chocolate binge on boat  it came out as a stream of brown gue, it didn't attract the fish but would have been a great camera shot. The second time was during a hardboat trip on the manicles, a particully fough day and surface with no boat in sight, so told my buddy on surfacing to dold the DSMB & I was going back to 6mtrs & to pull when the boat came, however puked a thick vile concoption that had earlier been a cooked breckie, not such a pleasent experience. It did flow but I still felt like shit.

g.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts