YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

We got up early and drove all the way to Thurlestone. Slight wind blowing from the shore but not bad enough to affect the sea state. We got in easy enough, looked into the water and couldn't see our fins. We decided to swim out a bit to see if the viz got any better, but it got even worse, so if nothing else we got to play with our compasses. Less than 1/2 a metre viz.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Where's Thurlestone Doug?

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

South Hams, South Devon, between Salcombe and Bigbury. Get it right and it's a cracking little dive, Wreck (Louis shied) to the left and a lovely reef (Leasfoot) off to the right. 12 metres maximum. Reef is covered in snakelocks anenomes, sandy bottom.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I was joking about driving all the way there, it only takes me half an hour including picking my mate and his kit up from Ivybridge.  

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Hi Doug
By the looks of your report I did the right thing in cancelling this weekends diving at Swanage.
Vis rubbish and wind seems to be getting up.
Salcombe!! Is that where that Northampton bunch found all that gold treasure?
The cannon site I think it was called.
Have you dived it?
I just stick to the Halsewell site for my diving these days.
Cheers
Bob

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Yes, your'e correct about the gold at Salcombe. You have to get permission to dive it, and you can't sneak a look because the coastguard station overlooks it and they always check the boats out, i know a couple of the chaps who found it but setting up a dive with them is nearly impossible, you know what divers are like (always late, no memory, full of s**t) ,but it might happen one day. Can't say what the weather was doing further along the coast. The good thing about diving near Plymouth is you can (nearly) always get a shore dive depending on the wind.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Doug

Bad luck on the viz thing at Thurlestone.  Still, spare a thought for those who ended out at the various inland sites around these fair isles!!

Haven't dived at Thurlestone for a couple of years but I agree with you, a cracking dive site.  I also enjoy the Hope Cove dive with the hope of finding some Spanish dubloons!!!!

Safe diving, all

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

We are going to try again this weekend because i've managed to ponce a camera off a mate.  It's a lovely picturesque dive and i might even get some photos if i can work out how the camera works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts