YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi Guys

I should have my up-dated Meridian Tide Trak on the PC working by next week, so anyone wanting to know the tide times/size, etc., around the country just has to ask. For wrecks off-shore, you will have to work that bit out yourself from the nearest port/town, because it varies from area to area.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Great, Ron! Please don't forget me.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Ron, that's good to know.
I used to use "wxtide32" which is a freeby program but now it's not allowed to carry UK data (see below) which is a bit of a bummer!  

Chee-az
Steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WXTide32
May 2001: I was notified by the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) that the Crown claimed copyright ownership of all tidal products for Great Britain, Ireland and Scotland. To avoid being sued, my options were to stop distributing tidal data for those areas or purchase a license (with a recurring fee) for use of the official UKHO data. WXTide32 has never been a commercial endeavor so I declined their offer of buying a license. It appears that when the International Hydrographic Office (IHO) disbanded in 1999, tidal data ownership reverted to individual countries and the blanket approval IHO gave for non-commercial use of world-wide tidal data was rescinded. Since Great Britain has now claimed copyright ownership, other countries may follow suit. This means that only tidal data for countries that have explicitly released their data to public domain may be used free of risk of copyright infringement. Data for the U.S. is not a problem. That data was gathered using public (taxpayer) funds so no copyright is or can be attached to NOS or NOA tidal data. That still leaves lots of world though, and the database now distributed with WXTide32 version 2.7 shows that new greatly reduced area of coverage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
224 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts