YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, is there a website with tide times for different places which run up to a fair way in advance? It's just for planning purposes really, to get an idea of which days are better and worse for a bunch of students that struggle to get up before lunchtime!

I'm sure there must be a hard and fast way of working out based on the tides elsewhere, but I can't get to my trusty BSAC textbooks to show me the chosen path!

Cheers guys.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for the link, but it only does 6 days in advance. What I'm really looking for is something that can give me a guess at tide times for a month ahead or more. Is this possible? Surely the formula must be pretty much the same for the next however long?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

The UKHO website will do upto 6 days in advance. They are VERY protective of their Intellectual Property of the values used to calculates tides, to the extent of getting many sites closed, or the UK info removed from software.

I have some old s/w I am willing to pass on, but take no reposibility for accuracy. I have not compared to the UKHO site.

edit, posted same time. The variable are not simple. Places like Poole can get a double high due to the way the water is trapped in the Harbour. Hence why the UKHO value their research.

Adrian

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Any chance of a gander at it?

All I really want is the high and low tide times (roughly) for any given date in the next 6 weeks. Can't this be roughly calculated? It's just to work out which days would be better for night dives, or which days to go out on the (sensible) larry the night before, if we've got a lunchtime dive.

Thanks for your help so far guys, we're nearly there!!!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

PM me your email Digger. I have 3 differnet ones 6meg total. You'll have to work out how to use em.

I'll try to do tonight, but pool night beckons.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Digger,
        My Uncles got a programme that predicts any port in the world(I think, it's maybe just Europe) at any point in the future. I've asked him a few times for so I'd pester him again if you wanted. I wouldn't expect it soon though, I've tried for two years now for him to get his finger out! It's a damn fine programme as well, easy to use/understand! Even you could probably figure it out!

Peter

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Digger ,,,

I have tide tables for DOVER  up to 2008

OR the magic laptop can give you

ANY port for ANy day  up to  2500   which of course by then ya be dead or the oldest NOVICE diver.

Tell me what you want     ports   months and year . i'll do the rest for ya

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Diggs, Ill mail you a copy of one I have if you like. Its one of the popular ones and works until 2005.

Stu.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I used one called neptune to plan a shore dive but then just phoned the nearest dive shop who told me something completeley different. Decided neptune must be wrong but then at the dive shops appointed time the tide was definitley running so maybe neptune is alright. No link, search for neptune tides.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 14 2004,19:03)]Digger ,,,

I have tide tables for DOVER  up to 2008

OR the magic laptop can give you

ANY port for ANy day  up to  2500   which of course by then ya be dead or the oldest NOVICE diver.

Tell me what you want     ports   months and year . i'll do the rest for ya
Andy,

Hamonic constants change all the time

Because of this UKHO will only issue tide times 2 years in advance.

your software will need constant updates  to remain accurate

regards

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ April 15 2004,05:51)]Hamonic constants change all the time
What are hamonic constants?

Peter

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

It's the little whistle skipper does when people ask him awkward questions.

Andrew

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ April 15 2004,11:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ April 15 2004,05:51)]Hamonic constants change all the time
What are hamonic constants?

Peter
god only knows..... but fromwhat the UKHO told me the reason that you get tide tables with slightly different details is because the freebies and cheepos dont apply the damm things  

we need a astro physisist to answer this one

·
Registered
124 Posts
Imported post

I found this on the web

Harmonic Constants

In analysis and prediction of tides, the actual tide is compared with the equilibrium tide at Greenwich, a tide occurring under idealised conditions at the meridian of Greenwich and depending only on the astronomical data. In this comparison we need to know the amplitude of each constituent, or the maximum height to which the constituent rises above the mean or falls below the mean and the phase lag of the constituent behind the phase of the same constituent in the equilibrium tide at Greenwich. The amplitude and phase lag are found to be constants for a port, but as they depend upon local topography and the path taken by the tidal stream, they must be obtained from observation.

Analysis is the process of finding mean sea level for the port and the amplitude and phase lag of each constituent from the record of the past. Prediction is the process of using known values of these constants to find the height of the tide at any time in the future, or specifically to find the times of maxima and minima and the heights at those times.

That explains it all then  

For a bit more look here
Tides

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Skipper - Dave

Next time we bump into each other, i'll show ya all the setting on the magic laptop,,,,,,,,,

Now all the tidal setting boxes on the lappy, think 28 boxes to adjust is a night mare , all like   HE1-2  Sp4   etc etc ,,,, I just ask them at Dover in our Hydroggy office, and they do the calc's for me  

But since thaat bast*** dredger has taken away sand off our Famous Goodwin Sands , not only has it altered the tidal flow , but all little bits of wood has been floating to the surface
  some has belay pins still attached etc etc .....

Must stop him some how , don't want to hit wood in the dark at speeed now do I   ,,
   s'pose it will give sticky knickers and super diver some dives to do from the famous WRECK DETECTIVES

1 - 19 of 19 Posts