YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>We met up with Alan Grey at the dive show on Sunday, Alan runs a boat Wales, he asked a Jenny and me if we wanted to do a liveaboard in May, but we are already booked for on in April.

Alan is going on Tiger Lily, as we want to do another one later in the year around September, this could be an option.  Does anyone know anything about her, or been on her.  Whats the accommodation like, food, dive guide etc.

Tiger Lily is on RedSeadivers website and I think they did the boat which sunk.  They don't seem to be atol or abta bonded.  Does anyone know who else runs trips on this boat?

Any info would be welcome.  

Cheers

Fiona

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>are you sure they are not bonded, thought you had to be by law?? (might be wrong). Seem to remember that they booked via Tony Backhurst Scuba. TBS had the boats and RSD sold the spaces as an agent. Guess that is how they were legit. Anyway try (TBS) www.scubadiving.co.uk or com as they seem to run alot of the liveaboards.

Ben

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

I've been on tiger lily in Nov 2001 to the Brothers. it's a safe boat: about 34m steel hull, twin engines, fairly silent compressors including nitrox, water making etc. the rooms were ok, although the water didn't drain well enough from the showers, and during the crossing from the brothers back, things got a bit wet given the state of the sea. The food was ok, about 7 out of 10 but difficult to judge as that was ramadan. The diving itself at the brothers was amasing, it was done off the boats two 5 meter RIBs. The DMs were unobtrusive and let you get on with your stuff. By now it's a couple of years older, but I would say it's fundamentally a good solid steel hull. You may find more up to date luxury liveaboards, but i suspect you're getting a good price on T Lily.

HTH

Frogkick

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (frogkick @ Nov. 20 2003,14:03)]By now it's a couple of years older, but I would say it's fundamentally a good solid steel hull. You may find more up to date luxury liveaboards, but i suspect you're getting a good price on T Lily.

HTH

Frogkick
<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Froggy,

Are you suggesting that the boat is getting a bit tired.  Also who did you actually book with.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Three friends and I were booked to go on the Tiger Lilly in June to go to the Brothers, Elphinstone and Daedalus. Because of the Iraq war, we were the only people booked for that week, so they cancelled the trip and transferred us to the "Deep south" itinerary (Elphinstone, Daedalus, Zabargad, St Johns and Fury Shoals) on the Excel instead, without telling us until we arrived at Marsa Alam airport. The Excel and the whole trip were first class. The Tiger Lily was in Marsa Alam harbour when we got back. She is quite a bit smaller and older than the Excel but probably OK. Considering the price is the same, I would definitely choose the Excel given a choice though. Red Sea Divers are good. They evidently sell for other agents. Our tickets were issued by Goldenjoy, although Tony Backhurst is the UK agent for the Excel.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers John

Have to say it is Redsea Divers which is putting me off.  Been with Tony B a three times and found him OK.

Cheers for the comments.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I found David (the owner) and the girls at Red Sea Divers very helpful. They were in no way responsible for the fact that we were transferred without being asked whether we agreed to this or wished to cancel. In fact, David, who had been on the same Excel trip as we did 2 weeks earlier, was only told about it the day the trip started, when we were already on our way to Marsa Alam! He managed to negotiate £70 refund from Goldenjoy for each of us as a gesture of goodwill and apology for the way we were treated. I don't think you need worry about Red Sea Divers. They have a lot of liveaboards in their programme and seem to be a very serious operation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fiona, I booked Tiger Lily through Goldenjoy. What I am saying is that the boat is excellent for the fundamental stuff you need to go diving: steel hull (it's not about to sink in any hurry), twin screws and good engines (it'll get you to sites that much quicker), Nitrox (a bonus for the red sea) and it's big (8m beam?) and as stable as they get. The dive platform is excellent. So for me that's top marks. The cabins are ok, and they're not the most luxurious I've been on. If you can go for the couple of cabins on the upper deck. You'll get a good view and will not hear the desalination engines when they quick in. So if you are all diving, it's a top boat. On a scale of 1-10 for diving I give it an 8, for food a 6-7, for cabins a 6-7. The proof of the pudding basically is that I wouldn't hesitate to book myself back for a week on it. I guess that says it all..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.