YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I completed a Divemaster Internship at Scapa Scuba in Orkney with Ben Wade and Sara Turner who I'm sure some of you know.

By the time I'd completed my internship and racked up 80 odd dives I decided it was time to buy myself some more time on the wrecks in Scapa Flow. So I did an Advanced Nitrox Course with Kieran Hatton.

As it stands I have absolutely no kit of my own. I would like to persue twinset diving but I would also like to continue single tank diving for travelling. I have looked into a harness and backplate which I can use for a single and twin wing. I know I'll probably get my self some Apeks regs but I'm not sure if I should buy 2 entire sets or just have 1 octopus and 2 primary regs (1 long 1 short) with the appropriate number of first stages.

Does anyone have any advise and/or kit that might be what I'm looking for?

Cheers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would just buy two sets of DS4/ATX 40's,with one on the long hose for the twin set and then just combine the 2nd stages onto one DS4 for holiday diving.

so what if everyone else abroad has a conventional length octo.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i would just buy two sets of DS4/ATX 40's,with one on the long hose for the twin set and then just combine the 2nd stages onto one DS4 for holiday diving.

so what if everyone else abroad has a conventional length octo.
Good Idea.
Tim Digger

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
get 2 ds4 and either 2 atx/xtx 40 or a 40 and a 50 depending how much money you have.
if you send just apeks a pm he may be able to get you some good prices i paid 60 quid for a atx 40 on its own.

I wouldn't bother with a dst as its a bit bigger than the ds4 and it has a swivel that only turns a little bit with a din connecter i would happily swap my dst`s for ds4`s as i find them too big on a twinset

and dont bother with any apeks regs above 50 they all perform the same but have more shiny bits of plastic so cost more

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Pretty much all of the above, apart from i'd get a cheapo BC off ebay and leave my
wing setup for twins and buy a spare yellow standard length hose + faceplate for
hols and teaching.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I have a completely different single setup as I got a bit bored of switching hoses round. Then again I am a bit if a kit tart.
I dont need to switch hoses or have spare regs :teeth:

I dive indie twins and my left post is a bog standard as is warm-water singles rig.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
im with TerryH,

you need to have a 2nd reg on the cylinder/gas your going to pass off ..

i used to have/use a air2 not the best reg but worked all the same ,,

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
yep pony of o2 in the crack of me twinset ,, lol

ps
no pony of o2 on this dive

i went with the air2 /3rd reg ,, after one of my buddys ran out of air on a 42m dive ,, (blowing his swag bag :teeth:twat)

so off we go asap i do the bag on the fly
no problem comming up with him on one cylinder and me on the other ,, we get to 6m and my buddy smiles and shows me my gauge 80 bar (twin300 bar7s),, then i get shown the gauge from the cylinder he is using , his still Smiling At Me but the gauge says his sucking rust ,, we have 15/20mins ? deco still .. (it was 20 years ago )
iv got the gas in my cylinder put only got the one reg ,, so deco was done on one reg two dives ,,( had to slide to 3m to make the gas last , )

not what you want to be planning for ,,

note to buddy that is a member of yd ,, DO NOT POST THE PHOTO OF SAID SWAG ,, LOL im sick of seeing that v nice lamp ,,

ps this isnt a blow by blow Account of the dive ,, its just a ball park story ,

·
Charlie Dont Dive!
363 Posts
I use an apeks wtx4 wing with twin 12's plus 2 or 3 stages but also used to use it for single 12/15 with an sta worked fine when on holiday. I later got a wtx3 for single cylinder holiday diving.

2 x xtx 40 and 2 x ds4 for regs one on a long hose just remove 1 first stage when going single cylinder on holiday but keep with the long hose.

I like to change my setup as little as possible so keep with the harness and wing so all my kit stays in the same place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts