YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a set of regs soon (possibly at the Brum show), but am unsure whether to have standard length hoses or go for a long hose setup. I like the long hose/donate primary/necklaced backup idea but have never used one (or even dived with any-one who has one). Would I need some formal training before diving with it or just practice in a pool first ?

I was thinking of getting a 5' hose, for open-water, no over-head environment diving, any comments ?

I am looking at Apeks regs primarily, probably a DS4 first stage (don't like turrets) and either ATX40s or ATX50s, any recommendations ?

Thanks

Andy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

No, you don't need formal training to use long hoses.

I would def get a long hose.

I would try it in the pool first - not because you really need to practise donating a reg BUT because you should always try new equipment in the pool/safe environment before taking it on a dive.

Happy shopping + hope you get a good bargain.

TIP - it is best if you know makes and models of your favourite regs/first stages + how much you can buy them for before you go to the show. I have not necessarily found show prices to be the best, especially if you are after a specific item.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have a 1.5m long hose and for open water it works great. |I would go for the longer one if I cave dived but I dont. I regularly practice deployment and usage with my  inexperianced diver wife and find it easy and relaxing. We just swim allong side by side.

TX40 / 50 are great regs I use them and have no complaints at all.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

Where did you get the long hose for your Apex, and did you use the wide bore port, or swap it to a standard port?

Cheers

Lou

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Kent diving and i dont know

Mark Chase

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Recently fitted a 2m hose and well worth the effort. No particular skills needed as its simplicity and ease of use is rather the point in the first place. You just need to make sure that all your other gear is in place first before you wrap it around.

It is a bit bloody awkward when kitting up though; I haven't quite worked out the best way of keeping the reg off the floor when putting the harness on and taking it off. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

Mark I bunge my hose but it still flops around when kitting up, I just clip it of to my bcd at the moment.

I think each reg should have a means of clipping it of when not in use so you can easily find it when you are looking for it.

Either attach a piston clip thing to your hose to clip of to a d-ring or have a reg holder on you d rings

also when de kitting clip it of as ive put my tank on my reg before now. no damage though thank God

Jamie

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Put a clip right next to the 2nd stage. I've used cable ties before, but know of people who use an O-ring looped through a bolt-snap and over the hose (hard to describe, but you need to take one end of the hose from either the reg or the 1st stage to get it on)

You can then just clip it to a shoulder D-ring. Either that or I've wound the hose around the necks of tanks in transit, but found this a bit PITA from time to time.

I hate to say this Lou, but Go-Dive do 1.5m and 2m hoses for the Apeks regs. Wide bore unless they order it in at the moment. A mate paid about £32 for it last week. Seems a bit steep, but they do have them in stock.

By the way, anyone got a really good cheapish source of 6-8" HP hoses? So far I'm on £15 a hose for Apeks 8". Any better anyone know of?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

Digger

I have seen the o ring method but can never strech one enough to work! are they special o rings and were do i get one/

silly question i know. I would rather use one of these though as in theory if the piston clip jammed you could just break the o ring as oposed to trying to break a cable tie.

jamie

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

You get o-rings in any size.  We use ones at work up to about 1m diameter - haven't figured out a diving use for those yet!

Try your local "bolts & bearings" type place.  They should be able to give you a selection of sizes for a nominal fee.

Cheers for the advice on stockists chaps, I shall investigate.

Lou

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Oct. 23 2003,12:24)]It is a bit bloody awkward when kitting up though; I haven't quite worked out the best way of keeping the reg off the floor when putting the harness on and taking it off. Anyone got any suggestions?
Two bits of car inner tube on the top of the cylinder (below the neck) and bottom (above the cylinder boot). Ideal for stowing excess hoses and surface flags and .....

What a great stroke of luck that the diameter of a car inner tube is perfect to fit on a scuba cylinder with just the right amount of tension.

Or was it luck
?  Were Henry Ford or Messrs Daimler and Benz into scuba diving?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crisspy Fiver @ Oct. 23 2003,12:38)]Digger

I have seen the o ring method but can never strech one enough to work! are they special o rings and were do i get one/

silly question i know. I would rather use one of these though as in theory if the piston clip jammed you could just break the o ring as oposed to trying to break a cable tie.

jamie
The ones that are used for fitting a valves to a cylinders are big enough.

Although I would not rely on being able to break it in an emergency.

Daz

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy C @ Oct. 23 2003,12:01)]Hi,

I'm planning on buying a set of regs soon (possibly at the Brum show), but am unsure whether to have standard length hoses or go for a long hose setup. I like the long hose/donate primary/necklaced backup idea but have never used one (or even dived with any-one who has one). Would I need some formal training before diving with it or just practice in a pool first ?

I was thinking of getting a 5' hose, for open-water, no over-head environment diving, any comments ?

I am looking at Apeks regs primarily, probably a DS4 first stage (don't like turrets) and either ATX40s or ATX50s, any recommendations ?

Thanks

Andy
Andy,

go for a 2m long hose as that length works best but get it with a 3/8 thread (standard port size). A lot of people find that the 5 foot hose is too short and is uncomfortable to use.  Forget about 'for open-water use' as 2m works best in 'all' environments and situations.

Get a 24" backup hose with a half inch thread (so you can still use it if you progress to twins).

Don't bungee the long hose! Breath it as your primary and donate from the mouth. If you have any excess hose just tuck it into your belt. If you are not sure about rigging the hose take a look here - Single tank setup.

Also take a look here for some more info - Long hose etc...

I would go for ATX50s with a DS4 1st stage. You don't need a turret.

As for formal training...have you heard of GUE's DIR-Fundamentals course???
You should practice a lot with the long hose, both as a donor and receiver (if your buddy hasn't got one you should insist that they get one or get a new buddy).

HTH

Mark.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

Daz hi,

Thanks for the reply, i take it you mean the o rings on the cylinder?

if so the way I have seen them used is impossible to use this size. I have tried a million times and cannot get them to work in the method i have seen.

Ive seen the o-ring doubled over so that the metal part of the clip is inside, imagine a c shape if you can C < this arrow thing points to were the piston clip sits          ^ then the rest is were the hose goes through

Ive just well confused myself so dont expect anyone to understand what im on about.

Im going to go back to sleep now!

jamie

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crisspy Fiver @ Oct. 23 2003,13:34)]Daz hi,

Thanks for the reply, i take it you mean the o rings on the cylinder?

if so the way I have seen them used is impossible to use this size. I have tried a million times and cannot get them to work in the method i have seen.

Ive seen the o-ring doubled over so that the metal part of the clip is inside, imagine a c shape if you can C < this arrow thing points to were the piston clip sits          ^ then the rest is were the hose goes through

Ive just well confused myself so dont expect anyone to understand what im on about.

Im going to go back to sleep now!

jamie
Well I think I understand what you mean, folded in half so it looks like half an O ring.  slid through the end of the bolt snap and then the two loops (one each side of the bolt snap) the hose goes through.

As regards the 'O' ring,  I don't mean any of the ones you can get at easily on the cylinder, there is a large one in the neck of the cylinder that the valve screws down on.

I have used one of these successfully, but even that needed to be stretched over the hose.

Alternatively,  you can fold the 'o' ring in half (crescent shape again),  loop through the bolt snap, now you have 2 loops either side.  Bring one loop through the inside of the other and pull tight.
You now have the bolt snap held captive on the 'O' ring and a single loop for the hose to go through.  This will work on smaller 'O' rings.

(and if you understood that, good on you
)

Failing that you can tie it on with string (cave line  
) or fishing line.

Daz

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Oct. 23 2003,13:44)]Failing that you can tie it on with string (cave line  
) or fishing line.
<font color='#000080'>Hi,

the best way is to use cave line and a cave knot. If the bolt snap is tied to the hose about 5" from the 2nd stage it can be breathed while stowed on the/a right shoulder d-ring and can help when getting out of a harness.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ Oct. 23 2003,13:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Oct. 23 2003,13:44)]Failing that you can tie it on with string (cave line  
) or fishing line.
Hi,

the best way is to use cave line and a cave knot. If the bolt snap is tied to the hose about 5" from the 2nd stage it can be breathed while stowed on the/a right shoulder d-ring and can help when getting out of a harness.

Regards,

Mark.
I have got to ask WTF is a cave knot !!!

I have only just mastered granny knots.

Daz

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Oct. 23 2003,14:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ Oct. 23 2003,13:59)]
[b said:
) or fishing line.
Hi,

Regards,

Mark.
I have got to ask WTF is a cave knot !!!

I have only just mastered granny knots.

Daz
LOL  

If someone can tell me how to post images I'll takes some pics and show you. It would be easier than trying to explain how to do it. It's a very easy knot to tie and very handy.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I went for ATX40's and love them, I got a deal just before the last show at £280 for ATX40/DST, ATX40 Octo, Dual guage and reg bag from Kent diving, all with standard hoses.

I had talked to them about making up a DS4/ATX40 set, they said it would be just over £300, then they said....we have this package deal thats the same for £280....so I got it. It turned out it was a DST not a DS4, but as I was about to go on Holiday with it I kept it, but no complaints so far. It was annoying but an honest mistake.

Cheers

Conor

1 - 20 of 64 Posts