YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks in the beginning of October either in Tobago or Barbados.

Wanna gather more advice/recommendation/experience before picking the final one.

Weather in October, I know, it's still the wet hurricane season... just hoping will be lucky for 2 weeks. Which one I might have better luck in weather wise?!

Diving - which's better? dive sites, vis..

Apart from diving - which island is better to sightsee and explore?

Beaches - where's more/better beaches?

Costs - both similar or which's more pricey?!

Anything else I've missed out and should know about, please advice too!

Many Thanksssss

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Tobago is mainly lots of drift diving whereas Barbados has wrecks too. I've not been to Tobago but have done Barbados however, just to confuse, I'd prefer Grenada mainly because I like wrecks. That said from the two choices I'd suggest Tobago as my preferred option.

I suspect Barbados (being the more developed and less dependant on tourism) is more expensive. We certainly found it was the most expensive of the Caribbean islands we've been to (although to be correct Barbados is not technically a Caribbean island but an Atlantic one).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have been to Tobago :D

They don't have hurricanes on Tobago, it is a very small pretty island, the best diving it at the North of the island in Speyside which is the Atlantic rather then the Caribbean - you get currents so drift dives are great :D Speyside and the north is very undeveloped the main tourist resorts/hotels are in the South around Crown Point and that is the Caribbean Sea. I was there a week and just dived in the north - and had a great time. I was the only diver for 2 of the days I was there. I was surprised at how cheap it was BUT there is just local restaurants and bars. The Dive master and his friends took me out partying with them to some of the local bars :D - I had a great time but I literally dived, sunbathed and slept apart from a couple of nights out. If you get a hire car you can dive in the morning and then drive to the other side of the island from Speyside to beautiful beaches to sunbath/hang out on. The hotel I stayed was clean and comfortable and I was well looked after but if you are after more luxury and touristy things stay at Crown Point especially if you have a non diver. You could of course do a week in the north at Speyside and a week in the South and do both.

Not been to Barbados so can't comment. Happy answer more about Tobago though :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sounds bad. How did you know they were dive centre staff ?

Had my room turned over in Mozambique once and next morning one of the luggage porters was wearing my extremely distinctive sunglasses. None of the other hotel staff wore sunglasses. When I pointed this out to the duty manager he just stared at me. We got the hell out of Maputo as fast a possible and up to the relatively safe paradise of Tofo / Inhambane.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tobago. Room robbed there by dive centre staff when they knew we were out diving .
that's terrible! where did you stay? and do you remember the name of the dive centre? will stay away from there if I go!

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Weather in October, I know, it's still the wet hurricane season... just hoping will be lucky for 2 weeks. Which one I might have better luck in weather wise?!" - I'm in Barbados now and it is HOT and humid. The odd rain cloud and brief shower but they're actually quite welcome and only very short.

"Diving - which's better? dive sites, vis.." - Can't compare as not been to Tobago but Barbados all seems to be about the reefs. Off to do the Stav tomorrow which appears to be the only decent wreck but I had to ask to get to it. Colourful reefs, turtles and lots of life. 29 degree water and probably 25/30m of vis.

"Apart from diving - which island is better to sightsee and explore?" - not really managed to get out and explore much as it's so hot and sticky. Local buses are good, cheap and entertaining so easy enough to get about.

"Beaches - where's more/better beaches?" - West coast of Barbados is the hotel side and just seems to be beach from top to bottom. You wouldn't have any trouble finding a beach here!

"Costs - both similar or which's more pricey?!" - its not cheap in Barbados but then I never expected it to be. A couple of dives from a hard boat will set you back about $100 US.

"Anything else" - Did I say it's hot?!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Sounds bad. How did you know they were dive centre staff ?
From our perspective, whoever it was had all the time in the world. They unlocked the door with a key, searched hard in our baggage, going neatly through 3 zips, each inside the other, to reach cash, which they didn't take all of, then put it back exactly as they left it and then left the room without disturbing anything else. They knew they were not in a hurry.

The hotel were very helpful - the owner drove us to the west side to see the police, and to the south to get more cash, plus dropped our bar bill. I can't fault that.

We later got message it was a young guy from the dive centre we had got semi-friendly with - but frankly, he was not working alone if it was him. They also can't have been that bothered about being caught as the hotel was nearly empty at the time. It was not a random thing.

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
Never been to Barbados so anything I say is tempered by that. Went to Tobago in April to celebrate my birthday. Really enjoyed the island life. Costs weren't exorbitant for the area. I stayed in a great villa as I was with all my Family but used R and Sea Divers for diving. The diving company has it's office at the Toucan Inn which looked clean and friendly.

Company was great. English run but with local boat staff and divemaster. Attitude is very laid back. Boat was an open skiff so no shade whatsoever. Surface interval was spent bobbing around in the lee of a small cove near to the next site. Water was provided. NB Looks like the boat has some shade now which is a huge bonus

See here for the dive sites. Tobago Dive Sites - the definitive myTobago guide to diving on Tobago. This site is also very useful for general information on Tobago

Enduring memories are of all or nothing. It was gentle bimbling along a reef checking out the various species or a massive blast over a reef clutching at massive barrel sponges and flipping over into the shelter of the down-current side in an attempt to slow and see something. One particular dive was jumping in to see a squadron of eagle rays pass below us and then a hand to hand crawl along a plateau to get to the edge of a reef to 'see the big animals', there was nothing there, before letting go and spending sometime bobbing around before being picked up. Another, at the North end, was a magnificent blast along a colourful wall before hanging off in the blue and being buzzed by huge tarpon coming out of nowhere at speed. A real buzz.

Overall I really enjoyed the range of diving. No wrecks to speak of, you'd not call the Maverick a wreck, but I'm glad I've done it. I'd not rush back though when there is so many other places to look at.

Weather and water temperatures in April were wonderful although viz could have been better. I wore a Fourth Element thermocline and was toasty.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great time

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Just come back from 10 days in barbados. did a couple of days diving, which was awesome. Few nice wrecks around and lots of lively reef. Loads of turtles, rays, barracudas, moray eels and fish of every colour (and taste :D). Hotel was superb (crystal cove).

Thank god for air conditioning though, it was bloody hot night and day.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Would go back to North end of Tobago without hesitation. I would not stay at the Manta Inn again but would go to the Blue Waters inn. Was a touch of heaven in comparison. I would do the Tarpon bowl, book ends and loved the corals and sponges I think I published a trip report on here. I have not done Barbados, so cant compare, but can reccoment the diving at Speyside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts