YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm thinking of buggering off to Tobago in late April for a week for a bit of R and R, and at the mo., am looking at staying in the Pigeon Point area.

Diving looks great ( that's the easy part).

Anyone got any recommendations (or "steer clears" for that matter) on dive centres and/or accommodation?  If you've been there and have anyhting you can chuck my way I'd be obliged.

Any info. gladly received.

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Imported post

Went to Tobago in February stayed at the Grafton Beach Resort and dived with “Adventure Eco-Divers”:
http://adventureecodivers.com/home/home.htm

They are a nice friendly bunch, relaxed and easy going like most Caribbean dive operations. The resort was fine, pretty much what you would expect for the price. Overall I wouldn’t say that the diving in Tobago was the best I’ve experienced but it does have a nice variety of things to see; from large schools of reef fish around the “Maverick” (a roll-on roll-off ferry sunk as an artificial reef) to Hammerhead sharks around the Sisters rocks.

Above water is Island is quiet and restful (boring) we spent an hour and a half wandering around the capital Scarborough and it was an hour too much.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Went to Tobago in November, stayed at the Blue Waters Inn in Speyside (amazing diving).  Dived with on-site dive centre, Aquamarine diving who were very good indeed.  My dive report is on this site, if you can't find it, let me know!

We had a great time and I would recommend it.  If you stay in Pigeon Point, make sure you go out to Speyside on one of the days and try the Bookends dive site at least.  

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Thanks guys for the info and also to Bren for offering to send through his trip report.

I've booked up to stay at the Pigeon Point end, but I'll make sure I get a day trip round to Speyside.

Keeping the fingers crossed that I'll see the stuff that everyone else says is up round there.

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Courtesy of Bren Tierney, I've read up on his trip report from 2002.

Thanks mate - very informative and am looking forward to the trip and the dives!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I stayed at the other end of the island but if I went back, I would definitely stay at Blue Waters Inn. It's a nice place to stay and Speyside undoubtedly has the best diving on the island.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Imported post

Also thinking of Tobago later in the year, mainly as a result of reading reports on YD!

Any thoughts on travel agents etc, or is it easier to organise flights, accom, diving etc myself?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Geoff,

We went with Dive Sportif:

Dive Sportif

but you'll find a ruck of agents and operators doing Tobago, like Regal Dive:

Regal Dive

HTH,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts