YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i partly purchased, with a mate a 4 meter "Quicksilver" inflatbale, with a 1993 3hp:D!!!! evinrude outboard. (sorry no picture yet).

And i was desperately hoping i could pick someone's brains with regards to this older boat engine

I cant seem to find out anything else about it other than the numbers 093. Is there usually a plate some place with its details on?

Also we coul do with a new plastic proppeller and a general check over, clean, and tune up etc,some where in Gloucestershire, ideas please chaps?

Also finally i have no idea what oil/fuel mix we should be running?

As you may have gathered i know absolutely NOTHING about outboards, so Many thanks in advanced for your time, your opinion would be highly appreciated.

·
I'll have one of everything......please.
454 Posts
Fuel mix probably 50-1 maybe 100-1, but if you go with 50-1 and clean the plug a bit more often.
A service involves changing the oil in the gearbox, changing the spark plug and a quick wipe over with an oily rag!!!!!
If it doesn't start, clean/change the plug and empty out the old fuel and replace with new.
If it still doesn't start then your into serious mechanics, whip the carb off and give it a clean with some carb cleaner.
If you haven't got a spark, chuck the engine over the side and get another one, they really aren't economical to repair.

3hp will be just enough to play on a river or a very very calm day on the sea i.e no wind or tide.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Dont worry we are not going far in it, just what i call extnded range shore diving, (Cove hoping etc).

Plan is to upgrade engine next year if we like the boat and the whole experience.

I have just found out it is a "E3RETB 1993"

The guy we got if from said 5 to 1 !!! ~I knew that couldn't be right.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Think im making an executive decision to run at 45:1 then.

So just so i have this clear that is 4.5L of fuel with 100ml of 2 stroke oil added, correct?
Correct.

What about a splash of Redex or some other cleaner or booster type additive for de carbonising?
We never bothered. That's not to say it's not worthwhile, BUT, I vaguely rememebr that Redex has warning plastered all over it, along the lines of "not for 2 strokes". I could be wrong, but something is trying to claw it's way out through the alcohol processing unit I call a brain.

2 Strokes love to be run fairly hard (as do diesels - allegedly) and they really coke up badly when they are run on a just open throttle, like when you are tootling through the marina/mooring up. It's why you see quite a few outboards having the nuts revved off them just before the kill switch is hit. again, this could have just been a very dodgy Spanish practice, but we did a fair few hours with ours that way before it neeeded a new plug. Plugs and re-bores are generally a fact of life with most 2 stroke engines:)

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Very inportant.
stand the prop and side flukes in a large bucket of water to run the engine in neuteral. runing the engine (dry) will kill the inpeller. also when and if you get it running check for a steady spurt of water coming out from the underside L/H side of engine with the pull starter faceing you..(Inpeller OK)
Going by the numbers and letters i would have a very good guess that it is an Evenrude engine.
I hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In I think you are at most answers to your questions but the 093 is all ways the year i.e. zero 10 would mean 2010 as you have already found that it is 1993 anyway when I say to you 5 to 1 it is common word with engine minded people that would relate to 50 to 1. i am interested in a question for you . a guy as already said it will be only good up a river with no tie flat calm day if you go in this boat with the size of 3hp engine with two people as well as diving equipment equalises to 4 people you would struggle to get their unstable and I would thought highly dangerous and I am sorry for being very critical but look at me as your horrible dad for you and your friends safety

safe diving and safe boating ps.I hope you have got the handling license radio licence etc etc etc

·
454 Posts
. a guy as already said it will be only good up a river with no tie flat calm day if you go in this boat with the size of 3hp engine with two people as well as diving equipment equalises to 4 people you would struggle to get their unstable and I would thought highly dangerous
A 4m inflatable is quite often rated for up to 8 people, I have loaded them far higher without a problem (on flat water). They are very stable.

We often used a 4hp on our 4m zodiac and it would struggle against a spring tide and a bit of wind, with a 30hp though it was a great fun boat, we used to go all around the Solent in it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
A 4m inflatable is quite often rated for up to 8 people, I have loaded them far higher without a problem (on flat water). They are very stable.

We often used a 4hp on our 4m zodiac and it would struggle against a spring tide and a bit of wind, with a 30hp though it was a great fun boat, we used to go all around the Solent in it.
I agree but it is the 3hp engine.I particularly have a problem with how many flat calm no tie days have you seen this year sorry if it sounds like I'm being pedantic safety should be the first the engine I would've thought is incapable of doing what he wants this is only my opinion.
most boats that are produced after 1999 recommend that size boat no more than four people and no more engine size of 15 HP,
because safety have realised a 30hp engine makes the boat and stable and this is based on people not diving equipment

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
ps.I hope you have got the handling license radio licence etc etc etc
In the UK, you don't technically need any qualification, to take any boat out, as long as it is not for commercial purpose (i.e. fare payers/reward). It is a good idea, however, to do something along the lines of RYA powerboat Level 2. This will cover things such as pilotage, a bit of chart work, IRPCS (Int. Regs for the prevention of collisions at Sea) which apply to EVERYTHING on the water.
And you don't need a radio licence unless you intend to use a VHF radio. Again, if you are close to shore, a mobile should do the trick, but cannot be relied upon.

Boats are great fun, but they get expensive quickly when things start to go wrong

·
454 Posts
most boats that are produced after 1999 recommend that size boat no more than four people and no more engine size of 15 HP,
because safety have realised a 30hp engine makes the boat and stable and this is based on people not diving equipment
Quicksilver 415xs sport rated for 8 people and 30hp max
Quicksilver 365xs sports rated for 6 people and 25hp max

·
Registered
526 Posts
In the UK, you don't technically need any qualification, to take any boat out, as long as it is not for commercial purpose (i.e. fare payers/reward). It is a good idea, however, to do something along the lines of RYA powerboat Level 2. This will cover things such as pilotage, a bit of chart work, IRPCS (Int. Regs for the prevention of collisions at Sea) which apply to EVERYTHING on the water.
And you don't need a radio licence unless you intend to use a VHF radio. Again, if you are close to shore, a mobile should do the trick, but cannot be relied upon.

Boats are great fun, but they get expensive quickly when things start to go wrong
I know what you are saying is true 100% but the issue though I have got with all this safety safety safety.
I am not a safety/freak far far from it I live by the sea work near the harbour to spend many hours on boats,
but common problem for accidents deaths etc etc that no one nearly has any of these basic qualifications I might add,
having all the qualifications does not make you an expert but clubs do basic boat handling radio licence is not applicable but,
at least someone should have one four more of the ease. if you suddenly get loads of rain mobile phones are unreliable for bad signal getting wet battery running out VHF radio 90% of them are water resistant or proof but even if you've got one you need to know the basic four use coastguard do not penalise or chastise people for using them regardless of licence or not but if you just had one and no basic workings it. I am getting out my pram again so on that note I'm going now on our RIB to try all the electronics and possibly fishing with a bit of searching and hopefully a dive if there is any replies while I am enjoying myself in the sun on a flat calm day in the Dover Straits when I get home I will reply to them sorry lads and lasses you've got what a man has got to do.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Of course safety first, RYA + Vhf are being sorted.

Boat is rated for 6 adults, but will only be 2 in kit plus 1 no diver to drive and provide surface cover.

We are already looking for a 10hp engine for sensible money, dont want to go ant heavier! than that.

The idea is to mainly beach launch and sometimes its a fair walk in to the sites, we have only bought it for what is basically shore diving, we have no intention's of travelling more than about a mile at a time in it.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I buy 2-stroke oil from my industrial lubricant supplier. Have just got 25 litres for £100 of super 2 stroke marine outboard stuff. It's blue! Waaaaay cheaper than little bottles from the garage.

That lasts us about 5 years, running 3 boats, 2 with 40hp pre-mix (50:1) and one with oil injection. Shows you how much the boats get used :(
Apart from that, gearbox and impeller changes occasionally, and an annual set of plugs (eye-wateringly expensive).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.