YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Guys

Today off Dover Tom joined the ranks of the Dover Wreck Divers haveing had the experience now of diving on the Pomerania a very large (360' long by 40' wide) sailing ship that sunk following a collision just before midnight on Mon 25 Nov 1878. The wreck is fairly broken up and stands 6m proud in 28m.

Yet again we failed to find the $7.5k of gold, ho hum next time maybe. We did however raise the captains bedstead.

We had about 3-4m of cloudy but light vis, which increased a bit to 5m ish as slack progressed. The wreck was teaming in sea life and we had a good swim along her length with Tom coping well with the vis and progression below 20m in UK waters.

Meanwhile Diving Dude Howard had been providing the entertainment on the boat. Setting aside his suit which is always good for a laugh, he produced the muver of all hoods with a pair of devil horns on it. This was top stuff and looked pure quality as he swam away from the rhib towards the shot, with the two horns showing over his twin set.

However prior to this at the end of the kitting up bit, he let YD down big style by remembering just after he had struggled into his twin set that he had forgotten that key bit of kit HIS WEIGHTBELT

Doh, and i said i would not mention that
Sorry M8 it just slipped out

So as we had a boat with 7 divers, 4 YD and 4 Canterbury divers (yes, i count for both), it was a fun trip out with no egoes on show. Debrief in the pub was entertaining and we look forward to the next one - maybe next weekend.

Tom M8, welcome to Channel Wreck Diving, this is where the bug bites big style.

Dive Safe and Progress

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Nice to say hello, even if it was cross decking ........

Does this mean more of the 'ard bunch from up north may decend upon us during the winter months , when the great lakes have ice on them

Paul we did have 7 bacon butties left for you lot.... but as we were back on pontoon at 13:40. and the dreaded callout came in ....

My 2 boys ate them , so maybe next time we would have to meet up in mid channel.

Put 6 novices down on the loanda today for thier first wreck dives,,,,,,,,, funny how they stay down longer with good breathing rates when there is something to see........ i told the coastguard that dive time would be 20 minutes ,,, and at 40 minutes still wondering where they are.

Excellent day down here today, SUN, CALM SEA.........is it really September, nearly October

Andy

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Andy

We had the call of the pub as well

19Deg in mid Sept, good vis and calm sea's, whats going on?

Xmas Day dive in a shorty maybe?
and how long was that slack? good 2 hours:D  And Van Nistelroyd missed a PENALTY. Yesss

Roll on next weekend:D

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Whos that who left his weight belt back on the boat..

You spoke about my DO...... well the last two dives whilst taking in newbies.

dive 1 . Drybag zip wide open as he stands to roll in over the side ,
dive 2 , Weight belt on boat as he tries to pull himself down the shot.

i'm just glad i pulled out of BSAC........:D

Andy

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Paul, you weren't kidding about rushing home and getting on the net, were you? Think I was somewhere on the M25 when you posted that.

OK, here's the newbie's perspective - first Dover dive, deepest UK dive, first UK wreck (unless you count the Far Mulberry & the Wraysbury speedboat), first dive with YD'ers, first time I'd seen Howard's legendary drysuit. So all in all, lots of firsts and a brilliant day, cheers guys.

Pretty much the last wreck I'd dived on before this was the SS Stavronikita off Barbados. That's essentially complete, sitting upright, masts encrusted in coral and colourful sponges, teeming with reef fish. In bath-temperature water, with 50m viz. And turtles. The Pomerania was a somewhat different experience.

I think what struck me most was the way your view of the wreck is restricted by the small circle of viz - you're moving over things that look vaguely like they were part of a ship, but can't (or at least I couldn't) get a picture of the whole thing. All the other wrecks I've seen have either been in sufficiently good viz, or sufficiently small, that they were still "ship shape". This was more like crawling round a scrapyard at night, with a a very small field of vision, and shoals of fish hovering round at the edge of visibility, no idea what you were going to come across next. Really quite exciting stuff.

All in all, I had a great time - really enjoyed the dive, hopefully learned from it, and it was great meeting up with everyone. Has certainly whetted my appetite for more.

And no lobsters died

Tom

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Tom

And there's me thinking my Greenforce was lighting it up like Blackpool illuminations.

Andy

What vis on the Loanda?

Any more on that Bent diver who went off in the chopper?

Some DO's ai

Dive Safe

Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Since l had nothing better to do, there wasn't anything good on TV and Paul was feeling lonely since most of his club were diving somewhere in Wales, l decided to join him for a dive out of Dover.

This time l actually dived instead of just seeing the carpark.

Had a great day, thanks Paul, l even nearly managed to get back into the RIB by myself.

Had a chance to show off my new devils head hood, which adds to my cool well 'ard macho diver look.  

The only fly in the ointment was that cheating scumbag dutch striker Van Dickhead who upset gentle Martin Keown and the game ended 0-0

So l'll be in Kent next weekend as well so what are we doing Paul? by the way who was the fourth YDer?

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

DD

Alan is also YD, though he don't say much. I thought you were going to mention my floundering attempt to get back in the Rhib when i forgot Animal don't have a rope on the inside like our Vallient.

It was certainly a good laugh, and the boat breaking down on the way out was pure Canterbury Divers.

Next weekend i have several thoughts subject to who wants to go out. If i have any inexperienced divers then probably The Empress of Fort William or The Pullborough.

We are looking at some big spring tides 7m+ next weekend. My rough timings are:-

Sat Meet Dover Slip @ 1400 Shot in by 1600.
Sun Meet Dover Slip @ 1445 Shot in by 1645.

I still want to do 'The New Comet' even though thats not her name. Don't have too rich a mix as she is Bow at 30m stern at 40m. Which is quite unusual for a Dover wreck. Limited Deco time as well as she is right on the edge of the shipping lanes.

Can i have the name of the company who made your hood? I'm thinking about talking my kids into getting me one for Xmas.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Paul.
Chnage of plan can't come ou to play this weekend  

l don't want to push my luck wiv' da bitch becausev she's still simmering over the fact that l'm going with Andy P to the red sea.  

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Wimp,

Tell her who's boss

Your actually going to spend a week in the red sea when you could have done a Dover wreck or 2
 Some people just don't know how to make the right choice. High Spring Tides as well - Deep joy.

Well at least i can stop pumping iron in anticipation of having to drag you back into the Rhib.

I'll save you a seat for when you get back.

Dive Safe U lucky git,

Paul

PS We gonna see some shots of da hood in da red sea

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Paul

This Southern Red Sea trip is April 2004.

l'm still thinking about sat, seeing that its later in the day.
l'll ring you tomorrow.

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

DD

Sun is later, Sat don't look good at the moment as my car is being MOT'd and i expect to spend the afternoon getting it fixed. I'm trying to get a Dive Marshall sorted.

Sun is far more likely. Not the New Comet as i want a Neaps tide in anticipation of some deco time next to the lanes. So a 32% mix would be good.

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>mumbers numbers numberssssssssssss  i love it when you find a new wreck,,,

Andy

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

Andy

I'll text them to you when i get onto the Valient next as i dropped a shot on her on spec.

Roughly take a line from Western to the North Varn LS, as you get to the lanes hang a right, first wreck charted, about 1/2 NM down the lane line. The lanes boundry runs along her Starboard side. Bit of a dip on the seabed there.

She's charted but an Unknown. 30m to Bow, 40m to stern. Gen Cargo, .5m vis when we did her last, but hey that can only get better.

You and Terry mates now?

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>yeah , best dive buds,,,,, just like you and me ,,,,,,,

Ho Hummmmmmmmm which one of your lot did i threathen to stab with me dive knife when a shot came whistling past my ear whislt on the loanda,,,,,,,,,,,

May see ya about tomorrow

ANdy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts