YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of quick questions about TBS liveaboards and the red sea.

1. Will I need a converter socket for the electricity supply on the boat / and on land for charging my UK 240V kit such as torches and camera's. If so which one??

2. The sinai - what is the currency?? I assume Egyptian Pounds????

Thanks

Nick

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
You will need an adapter for the plugs - think they are the same as the European ones.

in terms of payment on the boat you can pay with a credit card for your extras etc. Otherwise they generally use US$ but they do accept Egyptian pounds. For your final night in Sharm, you can add most stuff at the hotel onto your room and settle with a CC. I only had Egyptian pounds so not sure about Sharm in general.

Hope that helps

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
you need a 2 pin adapter and some Euros/dollars or Egyptian pounds. If you are on a liveaboard you may have to pay for drinks n stuff or pay for visas etc in Dollars/euros.....its just easier......but on a liveaboard you are not going to need much cash.

For a liveaboard you need;
Visa/checkin money $15 + $5
Possibly softdrinks money $10
Tips for crew and guide $20 ish
Beers for a week if bought there in crate form for the boat $15 ish
Then some Egyptian walking around money for the last day if you are hanging around in Sharm.

$ and Euro are pretty much interchangeable. If you are hiring kit or getting extras such as training, nitrox etc then you'll probably have to pay for that in Dollars/Euros. There are ATMs around the place that give you Egyptian.

Personally I'd take $100 + any hiring or other costs and then get Egyptian as required from an ATM.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Check with Tony Backhurst but I think the soft drinks are free.

If you pay TB £10 he will sort the visa out in advance, too.

Nitrox is usually £5 per fill or £60 all you can eat for the week.

HTH
Mal

P.S. You'll also need money for a ubiquitous T-shirt :D

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Check with Tony Backhurst but I think the soft drinks are free.

If you pay TB £10 he will sort the visa out in advance, too.

Nitrox is usually £5 per fill or £60 all you can eat for the week.

HTH
Mal

P.S. You'll also need money for a ubiquitous T-shirt :D
Yeah, sorted the nitrox out already £60 for the week as you say - not bad really as we intend to use it for most dives on four dives a day. We have pre-produced red sea tour 2007 t-shirts etc. Soft drinks I'll look into.

Edit - Visa sorted out by TB too

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts