YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Too young to dive

939 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Roy Curwen 
#1 ·
Imported post

I know that this subject raises it's head from time to time on various sites but as I've just been able to persuade the other half to allow our 12 year old daughter to start diving I was looking for some opinions.I'm obviously planning to go down all the correct routes with the bottom line being that next year if she wants to carry on I will take her to Sharm for a week.This week (in the very early planning stages at the moment) will involve a weeks diving mainly on the reefs to a depth of no more than 10 metres or within Junior Open Water guidelines  ( I love all the small stuff anyway - and to boot my pleasure is going to come out of seeing the look on my daughters face the first time see dips below the water on the check out dive). If the dive plan involves anything deeper than that - well We'll just snorkel or sunbathe.Do you think I'm pushing things a bit or going about a propsed trip it in the right way.

Cheers

Steve Flint

#2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there Steve,

I personally don't think that you are pushing things at all, it is a fantastic plan and that your daughter will thank you for the amazing gift you will be giving her.  My son learnt to dive when he was 10 and 2 years later is still loving it, and I must admit I really don't mind the shallow dips under swanage pier with him.  

The only thing I would consider is whether you want to be in the classroom whilst on holiday, will it be better for her to do a referal course or even the whole course in this country.  Luke completed all of his training in this country in a neoprene drysuit to boot and when we went to Florida he said that the diving experience was a whole lot better as he had a comparison to make between the two environment and also when he got back to Britian he knew what to expect from the diving as he had dived in it before.  Obviously this will make no difference what so ever if you intend to be holiday divers, but hey, I am sure you and your family have a great time.

HTH

Ian Daly

#3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Steve,

In Turkey last year I accompanied a try scuba dive with my 9 and 11 year old's it was the best and worst dive I have ever had, I was cra**ing my self the whole dive and used twice as much air as normal, the kids loved it and wanted more the only thing that stopped us was as Fee said not wanting to spend a holiday in the classroom.

When we go to Sharm in november we will probably do the same IMO its a way of just enjoying dives without any lesson pressure.

Enjoy

Safe diving,
Steve.

#5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>my daughter is 12 and 3/4 of thw way through a padi course, we are going to sharm next year and i indend for her to dive wite me

but although i am keen for her to dive in the uk, she is just too small and not physically strong enough to walk arround with all the uk kit required, plus being only a small build she gets cold easaly, so she would require lots of thermals under the drysute=more weight, i have stoped her on her ow course for this reason, we will be doing a refairal for sharm
bsac have a minimum age of 14 and although i disagreed with this initially it is probabley correct for uk diving

#7 ·
Imported post

my kids learned at 11 and 12  and love it in the warm water. Neither is that bothered about uk diving, too much cold and heavy kit.
It's a gift for them to do something different and exciting and as long as they dive within their ability and understand the risks then go for it. Would recommend doing the training abroad but getting the books ahead of time so that the reading can be done before you go. or doing a referral.

#8 ·
Imported post

My boy is 8, we go in the pool, we've even had a sneeky dip in Stoney, it is the most wonderful, fantastic thing I have done. The look on his face was a picture in itself. I simply can not wait (and for that matter nor can he) for him to be able to go in the sea.

Andrew

#9 ·
Imported post

Steve
I took my son into the water at 14, even then he was a big strong lad, BUT he struggled sometimes with the kit, especially the weight belt post dive, I usually ended up carrying it for him. Now he's 16 he has no problems at all. He was a very sensible lad and I realised that I was effectively solo diving plus the extra duty I had to look after him. It does 'spoil' the dive to some extent but its also wonderful to have him with me as my buddy. He has exactly the same rights as me once we are diving, including pre-dive and I think that really helps to develop our relationship onto the next level after parent/child to become mates. You may have problems in a club environment unless you recognise you are on your own, something the Bsac club I was in werent too happy about, so we dived under our Padi badges.

All in all though, so long as you stay shallow I see nothing wrong with it.

Matt

#10 ·
Imported post

Thanks for your input - I should have pointed out in the original thread that we are planning to do the the classroom work and reviews over here and the dives in Sharm. I can definately understand the anxiety - if we didn't have that for our kids then we shouldn't be parents.The only thing that does concern me is the getting back on the boat. She isn't the strongest around - I can see me with her weight belt round my neck trying to manhandle her gear back on the boat - any advice . UK diving - well I know she would enjoy the 7Mtr shelf at Stoney but I've no intention of taken it further than that for the time being - she's growing so quick I don't think I could afford the constant changes of too small equipment.

Thanks again  

Steve Flint

#12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>I too am going to start my boy diving this year he has already had a couple of try dives with my local bsac club but as he isn't 14 till next March I am thinking of starting him off through the padi system. Untill he is old enough to cross over to bsac.

Unfortunately I think that some of the bsac rules are unrealistic, As he is as big and strong as most of our club members thinks nothing of swimming 40 lengths of the pool and the bugering of to play. when most of our lot are blody nackerd.

My only reservation with children diving is the carrying of the equipment but if either their frame is strong enough or the parent prepaird to sholder the burden I don't see any problem.  

#13 ·
Imported post

Best of luck with the youngsters diving, and for what its worth, if getting back on board is the problem, please use this tip we have for our RIB. Where the weight belt goes through the weight, many of our crew put in a twist, to stop it slipping. We now put a Karrabener (spelt right ?) in the twist and have a rope attached to the RIBs lines with a Krab on either end. When you get by the boat, clip the bottom Krab to the weight belt Krab and get your stabbie off and recover your weight belt at leisure ! Maybe this would work for you. best of luck
Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.