YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have experience of Top Dawg video housings?

I'm very tempted as I have an old Sony Camcorder (6 yr old but great and expensive at the time) which will fit and by the looks of things the housings are pretty much generic so I should also be able to buy a new camera for the housing if I decide u/w videography is for me!

·
DIY not DIR
284 Posts
I had one a few years back, I had an old sony 8mm cam at the time and when I swapped to digital 8 I had to extend the Lanc cable. Other than that the housing was spot on. Double o ring seal in the barrell never failed, however I experienced some intermittent control problems, i.e sometimes couldnt start/stop the recording. I was told by the importers that this was a common fault and they could replace the electronics for about £200.

Check how old the housing is and when the coin cell batteries in the lid were changed and wait for the reply "what batteries ?". They are used to power the lanc controller and I only found mine after 2 years of owning it:embarassed: .

Regards
Karl

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Gloc had one for a while - give him a shout - good piece of kit from what I could see of it - but I am a video chimp

·
Registered
63 Posts
if your buying a top dawg, check which model you are getting there is a mark 1 and mark 2. I have used a mark 1 and it was pretty good. My friend used a top dawg mark 2 with a HDR-HC1 (to film surfing) so it shows the versatility it can be used with 8mm or HDV. the people who are the importers are fish eye productions: Welcome to Fish Eye Productions LTD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts