YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

i have deleted the desperation topic.  i'm sick of the arguments and name calling.  If you were kids I would bang your heads together.  As it is, I can't, so any more and all participants, instigator and answerers will be banned for good.  Go to Dnet if you wanna bawl each other out, not here.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Dam.

I herd about this thread on my way back from another edge of the envalope adventure dive today (8m at Wraysbury lake)
and I was looking forward to reading it.

No seriously, this is a good forum and we get cut a lot of slack, if the thread was so bad that it had to be cut it must have been bad.

I came on to YD after getting riped to peices rightly or wrongly on D-net by Vic the #### (insert expleative here)
and found a bunch of openminded and comuncitave divers who were generaly willing to rip the piss out of any one and have a pint and a laugh with them later.

Any one who is not in that mould should be encouraged to leave.

Top stuff moderators.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mark,
totally agree.

Do you ever do any damn work, or are you a proffesional diver?

Top site Wraysbury he m8, I went once, lost my arm in the silt, and I mean my ARM, not just a few fingers. And my compass went beserk.

Mind you I'd go again if I could go anywhere else, oh the bug!

Matt

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andy2tanx @ Sep. 03 2003,18:38)]i have deleted the desperation topic.  i'm sick of the arguments and name calling.  If you were kids I would bang your heads together.  As it is, I can't, so any more and all participants, instigator and answerers will be banned for good.  Go to Dnet if you wanna bawl each other out, not here.
Why ALL answerers? I put a few replies on that thread, none of which were offensive in any shape or form.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

So, how long can we make a thread that has no purpose other than to tell us that the thread no longer exists

Andrew

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Finless...

because if the numpties weren't spoke to at all then perhaps they would go away.

So if theres a bit of stirring then nobody rise to it and it'll soon stop.

Getting more like school here every day.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Does that also mean that anyone who answers a question which some might consider a troll, now runs the risk of being banned? (some of the best threads have been started that way!!
)

Hmmm, now where was that thread about Nanny States....  

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andy2tanx @ Sep. 04 2003,10:37)]Finless...

because if the numpties weren't spoke to at all then perhaps they would go away.

So if theres a bit of stirring then nobody rise to it and it'll soon stop.

Getting more like school here every day.
Andy,

I can understand your thoughts on this matter and your desire to maintain YD's standards, but, I have my doubts abt requesting people not to rise to "stirring". Don't forget a lot of people on this forum also post on Divernet and I have personally rcv'd a good old flaming from one YD member because I did not agree to his thoughts on the BCD or wing v dry suit for buoyancy debate.

Also, don't forget that despite the descent into name calling that was a well read and well replied to thread which engendered a lot of interest. Whether that was only because of the arguement or not I don't know.

What I'm trying to say is, it WILL happen again at some time and I'm afraid that on the few occassions it does, you will need to step into your Big Brother boots and be Judge and Jury and delete the offending post. I don't think barring ALL contributors is right or fair.

For whay it's worth, despite looking forward to some more posts on that thread, I think you did the right thing in deleting it.

Happy censorship.

Rgds
Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren A @ Sep. 04 2003,11:43)]Hmmm, now where was that thread about Nanny States....  
STIRRER, STIRRER !!!

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Use your brain.  Don't insult people and don't rise to insults!!!

How hard is that?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You're asking divers to use brains?

If we did that we'd find a less expensive hobby!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andy (2 tanks)
I have to agree with Finless here that the thread started off OK and then degenerated into the abyss, are you saying that if we post condemantion of the degeneration we will get a warning/ban from YD. That would be a shame as generally the place is very tolerant. Surely condemnation of the postings so long as its done without also degenerating to gutter language should be welcomed by the moderator(s) on here?

I am confused also if the risk is confined to posting after the plunge or even if you joined at the beginning of a well thought out and tolerant debate.

I am not stirring but do feel that if this is a new YD policy it will be difficult to add to any postings for fear of a ban should some idiot cause the thread to degenerate.

Matt
Regards
Matt

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Hi Mattbin larden

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you ever do any damn work, or are you a proffesional diver.
Whats this mean
?
  hope ya not referring that i'm a lazy bas*** as well..... lol

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

matt, may i refer you to my last post...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

GO on Go on GO on GO on

you know you want to!

So if I put here say 16% It wont get a rise out of some one?

nigel

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Use your brain.  Don't insult people and don't rise to insults!!!
I didn't - I'm a good boy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How hard is that?
Very (apparently) - it usually starts off with friendly and spirited banter and then before you know it SOME people are at DEFCON 1 and launching vitriolic assaults at each other which inevitably  results in falling back on some of our more colourful Anglo Saxon terminology.

Anyway, I'm hurt now and I'm going to sulk. Mutter mutter mumble...telling me off...mutter mutter....din do nuffin...sniff...treating me like that....sob....mean old Andy...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

Andy

I spent time putting extremely important technical information about risks associated with rebreather diving on that thread.

I did not flame, abuse or get involved in other people's baggage.

I genuinely gave up my time (of which I have precious little) to make a potential new user aware of some critical issues not covered in the training.  

I do not find it acceptable that the whole thread has been deleted when clearly there is vital information there that is not released in the public domain and only exists on the closed user list.  

There is a negative impact to potential new users who cannot seek out this kind of information elsewhere.  Perhaps you need to look at banning members, not removing whole threads containing information which could potentially save a rebreather diver's life - it saved mine.

EDIT = APD have taken preventative steps to make sure that certain information is not available to potential Inspiration buyers.  I don't believe it is acceptable to with hold information about life support equipment.  I find it even less acceptable that a neutral dive forum should deem it acceptable to remove this information when published by an experienced Inspiration diver.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:

How hard is that?
hmm at some point we are only human and can only take so much

the thread was deleted because of my post, and rightley so
im amased i am still here, so the moderators are not all bad

i wont go into my post, as it reasoning should br burried with the thread, + i dont want to ding the bell for round 2,
i did apologise after my post, and explane my reasoning behind it

and i apologise to you all for causing a topic to be deleted (although i cant take all the credit)

[b said:
if somebody is insulted in a personal way several times, you are going to get a responce, then a slanging match, or worse, if you dont want these slanging matches taking place then you have to intervean in the insulting stage, this is your job as a forum moderator, its not just a badge

i posted my responce because you refused to intervean, and was willing to accept the consequences of my actions
i will not be bullied bagered threatened or insulted at home at work or out with my mates, and i dont see that i should be here,
i can have a laugh take the piss, have the banter with anybody, and it is actually verry hard to get my rag up, but numerous pms with threats of violance is just to much
yes i could of just left, but i have gained a lot of knowlage on this forum and would like to continue to do so
i aproched the moderators and i tried the (ignore them and they will go away) but this didnt work

so i forced the situation, wright or wrong i put you in a situation where you had to respond, only time will tell if it works

sorry again if my post offended anybody

and thx for not barring me

steve-k

1 - 20 of 52 Posts