YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right then guys - treat me like the numpty I am and explain all.

How do i go about topping up my twinset from 15l? Is it possible? What equipment do I need? How practical is it? Does it take ages?

All thoughts appreciated ..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Hi Gavin,
right to top up your twins from another cylinder you need a decanting whip. thats it.
i got one from the last dive show for just under £30.
all you do is screw on on to a pilar valve of your twins & one onto your full 15l, then close the isolating manifold (if you have) once the manifold is closed just open both the 15l valve and the twin valve. when the presure has equalised (youll be able to tell when the noise stops)only takes a min, shut both valves and repeat the process on the other side of your twins.its done that way so you get thebest fill possible from the 15, you dont get quite the same presure if you just fill with the isolator open.
there thats it - and theres a dive show comming up so you should get lucky

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks lads - that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I shall be looking for a whip at the Scottish show then!

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

That`s what I do, ecept I have to borrow the skippers decanting whip.
It works out (based on tank fills to 230 bar) that if there is 90 bar left in the 2x12s, after decanting from a 15ltr = all tanks =144 bar = same as 15ltr at 230 bar.
Or if 40 bar left, after decanting all tanks =113 bar = same as 12 ltrs @230 bar (aprox give or take a couple of bar).
When is the Scottish show? is it before Mull trip? if so and you can get whips (not s & m)for about £30 please get me one.
Thanks

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Dive Scotland is after Mull at the end of March.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Wheres the DS, in Edinburgh or Glasgow??

Sounds like a good excuse for a piss up anyway!!!

gav, Why u after filling up a twinset from a 15l?
Sounds a bit dodgy, misconnect it and you will probably whip your arm off.

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

The DS is in Glasgow. The whip is for when I wanna top up for a second dive rather than the redundancy method of diving with twins with 100 bar in both!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Do you remember who you got your whip off at the show?  I'm going up there to buy one myself, hopefully will find one with a good accurate guage on it - cheapest quote has been £80. Howard, if I see them at a reasonable price do you want me to get one for you & sort out the details on the Mull trip?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

I though £30 seemed really cheap, my local dive shop was £90 ish. when I asked about six months ago.
Thats why I been using Steve`s (Channel diving)
So if you find one at the dive show please buy for me.
Thanks.
Also try on a dui dry suit for me, this is next on my shopping list.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I believe, if you do the math, you'll find that the best way of decanting into a twin is to close the manifold first, then decant into both cylinders individually.

As I've just come back from an over-large free Italian meal, I can't face doing the working out myself ;)

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Howard - You dive with Steve??  I'm out on Nauticat loads (5 day Fecamp trip this year booked & raring to go).  We must've met at some point - any particular group you dive with?
I'll phone you from the show with the prices & you can decide then.

Cheers
Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts