YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok electrical wiz kids

I flooded my CD torch today (thanks to a dodgy 0 ring) and it went bang. It has blown the resistor on the internal mag switch. Does any one know what value the resistors are on the CD 50W halogen unit? Can I get one from Maplins? Will flooding the unit do any other damage?

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello Mark,

Have you tried to rinse it in warm fresh water, or you was diving in fresh water? Try to contact CD of which I found very helpful every time even when out of warrenty.

Mark, this is not a trick of yours , so that your wife will see you cry about your torch, and to show you her love will get you a new 18watt HID  
for xmas !

regards

Pierre

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Fat chance of that M8

Mark Chase

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Did a similar thing myself in August. Am still waiting for custom Divers to ship me a switch. Apparently it's gotta come from the states! As far os cost goes I'm not sure, told my local dive shop to order a replacement. I assume it's the ST1 - you may have a long wait.

gareth  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Mark, how do you know it is a resistor that's gone bang, and if there is a component that looks knackered, how do you know it's a resistor?  

If it is a resistor, it will have a code made up of bands on it and you can get a replacement easily.

Try alcohol or similar to get the water out?

Hope you get to fix it...  Not cheap, are they.  Making a Mk 2 of my torch now - just getting my head around the reed switch/relay thing - that's why I was wondering which bit of yours was really bust...

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

MDemon, nice try but it is a wire wound so no colour code, it is there to decouple the switch.

Mark, spoke to Alex, the production starts next week, suhould be ready two to three weeks. Nice choice of bulbs, 75, 50 and 35W, apparently we are using a hydralic seal instead of O rings, whatever that might be.

Andrew

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Nov. 16 2003,16:41)]Mark, how do you know it is a resistor that's gone bang, and if there is a component that looks knackered, how do you know it's a resistor?  

If it is a resistor, it will have a code made up of bands on it and you can get a replacement easily.
I have had the head apart before and there is a risistor from the black cable to the mag switch. Yes it had colour bands but the whole thing has disintigrated when the torch flooded.

The white bit is the bulb holder. The black bit the mag switch and the black cable is normaly soldered to a resistor that goes through the middle of the mag switch and attaches via the littl screw and washer on the end. Note total lack of risistor. It went to resistor heaven  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Tricky.  If it was a resistor, and you're going to cough up for a new switch anyway, why not buy a selection and try them?  What have you got to lose?  I'm not sure if you should start with a very high or a very low resistance - high would be my guess. Bear in mind I'm no electrician, I just bodge every now and then...

Thanks for posting the picture - amazing how simple these things are.  

AndyP - can you help further?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,

Can't see what purpose a resistor would serve?,  If the battery supplies 12v and the lamps are 12v lamps then a straight relay and reed switch would suffice.

Is the reed switch encased in the black bit in between the wires?

Are you up on reed switchs and relays?  If not I can try to explain in more detail.

The reed switch would not carry any current as it would switch the relay and the relay is what takes the current.  Both my Fa-Mi torchs use this switch arrangement and my own little torch pet project used the same switch arrangement.

Daz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts