YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
How much money do you have to spend?

The problem is that the sort of torch you want for video work isn't necessarily the sort of torch you need for diving. You need something to spread the light out and illuminate the area.

Kowalskis make pretty good video lights and there were a couple up for sale on here last week, UK Light cannons HID 100s also make pretty good lights.

Or spend a fortune and get a 21W HID with salvo reflector!

I am sure Justin Owens used a couple of Light Cannons with his setup.

·
Registered
351 Posts
video and photography lights

hello debs have a look at the greenforce flexi-digipack available in 10 watt hid or led and it made for the job you want it for.you can use it also as a hand lantern torch.
it is on the lumb brothers web site if you need to know anything else let me know.

rob

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
Hi Debs,

I use a pair of 24w Halcyon Video lights. These are quite good for reasonably clear water and don't cause too much back scatter in less clear water.

I've found that with Video, you really can't have too much light.

HTH

John

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to get one with a wide beam angle and am willing to pay £300-£400 which, contrary to what my husband thinks, isn't a lot for that sort of torch. I was looking at a Greenforce, however, the more I look into it the more confused I get as to which one I go for (+ the cost is creeping up). I can see me still using my trusty DR4 in scapa in August!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
You know my Greenforce works fine the amount of times i've blinded you with it :)

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
It can fully illuminate the Dude from about 10m so that a damn wide spread :)

I don't know, but i suspect you probably want something a bit wider.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use a Light Cannon for video work - they come with 2 diffuser filters and I use both. The great thing about buying a light cannon is that you can justify it - when you're not using video equipment, they are great for diving in this country.

In fact, you can justify them so much I've just bought my second one, for a dual video light set up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.