YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm looking into getting something string to replace my PC Lite torch. Although it is OK I want something stronger. My normal diving is daylight, average viz (2-6m) and I'm not the kindest of persons for my equipment, I'm not a brute but the torch has to expect the rough handling of a RIB. I suppose my main use will be to look under crevices. Coulour temp is not much of a problem as I'm colour blind. I wouldn't want to spend much over £250 (ouch)

Now, I've actually been researching into torches looking at Gear Tests from Diver net and past YD forums. Well, the simple thought of getting a better torch has blown my poor brain cells, I think I'll do some quantom physics instead! I think I half understand the different batteries, burn time, HMI and HID. and colour temp, and so on. StpehM's posting in May was also very helpfull. Yet I am more confused than ever!

I'm beginning to think of the Kowalski 620 or the scubalux 200HP. Now what is the difference between the 620 and 1250.  On top of this there is a choice of the dimmer switch (is it worth it?). Another question is can I turn these on and off as I wish or must I keep them on for most of the dive. If so the burn time does seem rather short indeed.The UK cannon is a possibility but I would be getting it through the UK, although the £pound is favourable the shipping expenses are not, with the other two I can get them relatively localy (Spain or Portugal.) On the other hand if it is well worth it I'll get it, if so where is the best place? (would have to be on-line).

Many many thanks for any help. I realise that this topic often comes up, unfortunately with Divernet I can only chase up to 30 days of topics, whilst with YD well it seems to go on back quite a bit.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ June 04 2003,11:42)]I'm beginning to think of the Kowalski 620 or the scubalux 200HP. Now what is the difference between the 620 and 1250.  On top of this there is a choice of the dimmer switch (is it worth it?). Another question is can I turn these on and off as I wish or must I keep them on for most of the dive. If so the burn time does seem rather short indeed.
I have got a kowalski 620 speed, bright purple.
I turn it on and off at will and you can use it out of the water (some overheat apparently but not these). It has 50% or 100% settings.

I love it . It is light, Easy to charge ,seems to last ages, it also has it's own likkle neoprene wetsuit also in purple.

what can you say, its a really nice torch.
The bulb went a few months back and I got in touch with the distributor (Jack Bird Lighthouse diving), He took about £6 off my credit card, sent me a bulb by return of post and hand written detailed instructions on how to change it. That's worth a lot.
he is at
http://www.gratton.co.uk/lighthouse/ldl001.htm
happy to recommend him. I also notice on his web site now he is selling 2nd hand and reconditioned ones, probably worth a look.

Jules

1 - 2 of 2 Posts