YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all
The only torch i own is a ikalite pca which is a small thing but very bright for its size but now i want something with a bit more oomph.I have been looking at so many different makes i am now worse off than i started i have about £300-£400 pound to spend but if can get something decent for less all the better .i like the idea of umbilical but i am sure i would have to spend more. fa&mi make some umbilical for around £400 but never seen or heard of any one using them!.i was also looking at UK HID light cannon oh and at kowalski .Now they all look nice!
It will mainly be used on wrecks and the uk waters so if any one can give any recomendations or advice i would be grateful.

Regards

MAL..

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Kent Diving are doing the Custom Divers umbilical 50W Halogen in the long thin canister for £395.00. If not then you can buy my 50W custom Divers in the short housing with a spare batery and two spare bulbs for £250.00 as I want to upgrade to a HID

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've not long had a Kowalski 1250 speed, and it seems a vey nice bit af gear, can't say much more as I have only used it 5 times. What I will say is that it blows anything that I have dived with or anything of anyone I have dived with rite out of the water.
But then I would say that as I paid nearly £300 for it in a sale (just trying to justify it to myself (and the wife
))
Dave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Imported post

I recently bought a UK light cannon. Well impressed with the beam as were other divers who have asked me after the dive what I was using in the water.
Although the battery use is +3 hours even on non rechargeables, the major downside is having to open the casing to recharge the battery.
2 Things though really pissed me off. One is the unit doesn't come complete. The recharger and rechargeable battery are not part of the price of the torch. OK not everyone wants rechargeable batteries, but I would guess most people do.
The second is that the micro switch went on mine within 4 weeks of purchase and it is currently back with the suppliers. Maybe I was unlucky!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I`ll stick withe the Kowalski had 2 (600 speed and 1250 speed) for years and the are top. Will be getting some for the divecenter in January as well bacause they take some abuse to.

Regards
Michael

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I really like my kowalski too. Good aftersales service from the uk agent jack bird of lighthouse diving too. when my bulb went he posted me another first class and gave hand written instructions on changing it.

http://www.lighthousediving.co.uk/

They also have some second hand / reconditioned ones on sale with a warrenty etc.

jules

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys and girls for your advice .i have convinced myself on an umbilical purely for the "ooopps" didn't want to drop that factor.
Mdemon my hat comes off to ya i have not the skills nor patience to begin what you have done i still have problems making the bed.
Mark c is there a real big difference between 50w hal and 10w HID .why do you not just buy a CD Hid head and put on your excisting canister.I may be interested in your offer let me know more details.thanks.
Has anyone had any experience with greenforce as these look cheap and cheerful but read they are prone to flooding the head due to on/off mech.
anybody owned a JMD these look ok (focusable head)but the battery looks as big and heavy as my cars!.
I have been considering a kowalski one of my buddies has a 620 but it always seemed tame ,ther other products seem better but get heavier so increases the ooppps factor.there umbilical look nice but are truely HIDeously priced

Thanks again for your time and knowledge,

Regards,

MAL..

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GUV.. @ Aug. 18 2003,17:49)]Has anyone had any experience with greenforce as these look cheap and cheerful but read they are prone to flooding the head due to on/off mech.
Hi Guv,
        Greenforce were talked about not that long ago.
Nitrox's diplomatic thoughts on Greenforce

Peter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks peter for pointing out i have the memory of a goldfish.
As soon as i saw the link i remembered the thread  

Cheers anyway

MAL..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GUV.. @ Aug. 18 2003,17:49)]Thanks guys and girls for your advice .i have convinced myself on an umbilical purely for the "ooopps" didn't want to drop that factor.
Mdemon my hat comes off to ya i have not the skills nor patience to begin what you have done i still have problems making the bed.
Mark c is there a real big difference between 50w hal and 10w HID .why do you not just buy a CD Hid head and put on your excisting canister.I may be interested in your offer let me know more details.thanks.
Has anyone had any experience with greenforce as these look cheap and cheerful but read they are prone to flooding the head due to on/off mech.
anybody owned a JMD these look ok (focusable head)but the battery looks as big and heavy as my cars!.
I have been considering a kowalski one of my buddies has a 620 but it always seemed tame ,ther other products seem better but get heavier so increases the ooppps factor.there umbilical look nice but are truely HIDeously priced

Thanks again for your time and knowledge,

Regards,

MAL..
The main difference between the halogen and HID is the light temperature,  The HID beam appears much cleaner and  whiter compared to halogen,  also many people claim that the light beam from HID seems to penetrate better.

EDIT :- Oops almost forgot, the other big advantage is the burn time on HID compared to halogen on like for like battery packs.

Other names to consider are :-

FA-Mi and Sartek

HTH

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

If you're gonna buy Sartek, don't do it in a shop - Phi Le (the guy who wrote Decoweenie) can get them for you VAT free, which makes a bit of a price difference.. See here

I'm very tempted by a Sartek, just can't justify the cash right now..

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Has anyone had any experience with greenforce as these look cheap and cheerful but read they are prone to flooding the head due to on/off mech.
See Nitrox Green force post. I have seen one flood but it was one of the old type not the LED ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mark c is there a real big difference between 50w hal and 10w HID .why do you not just buy a CD Hid head and put on your excisting canister.I may be interested in your offer let me know more details.thanks.
Sorry for slow reply I have been away:

The light on the HID is a blue white and the light on the Haligon is yellow white but apart from that I havent noticed a big diference.

The HID unit has a smaller baterery housing than my Haligen unit and If I sell the CD unit as is I can get a new HID for the same price as converting my Haligon.

Main reasion for getting the HID is burn time. I am doing some UK livaboards and finding it hard to get a recharge on my Halagon tourch every night. Never had a problem overseas but in the UK it has been an issue. I get about 80min burn with a 35W bulb and 60min burn with a 50 W bulb. Recharge is about two hours.

If you want pics and more infor let me know.

Mark Chase

1 - 13 of 13 Posts