YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I just had a chat with Oonas about the cost of hiring a torch for the liveaboard in November and it looks like it'll cost $56 for the week.

So methinks its time to buy, Any reccomendations ?

It would initially just be used for holiday diving but I do want to dive in the Uk and do more wrecks etc, so any opinions would be appreciated. I am considering the UK C8 or C8R. Is it better to bring a rechargable torch on a Live aboard? or just stock up on Batteries at the airport?

Cheers all

Conor

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

The liveaboardwe went on had good facilities for charging torches, but best to check with the operator. Rental torches are usually both useless AND expensive. I really like my kowalski! see www.lighthousediving.co.uk for new and reconditioned ones. Good customer service too.

Jules

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Speaking of torches, I tested a rather interesting torch for a local supplier the other day.  This torch was quite unusual as it had no batteries and no way of actually opening it up, its a totally sealed unit.
Well less chance of flooding then, also not much chance of the batteries running out since there arent any, then the bulb is a diode so not much chance of that blowing.
I also tested it for construction sturdyness, I bounced it off a rock on entry (oops not used to having a torch on that wrist!) then it also got bitten by a very big wolf eel and survived with only minor scratches.

So you may be thinking that it is all good so far but unfortunately since it is powered by a magnet it does have a few drawbacks....
Not very bright, its the bare bones of what you expect from a torch, it illuminates big black holes but not for very far, you get about the same amount of light as you would from a match, thats if you managed to light one underwater.
Since its powered by movement you have to shake it to make it work (3 mins of shaking before a dive will make it last 20 mins) but to keep it bright enough to see by you have to give it the odd shake.
It has a nasty habit of making my compass point towards it.
Its buoyant, some might say this is good but I reckon its darn annoying, if you let it go it pops up and whacks you in the face, if it isnt lashed it goes to the surface!
So I reckon this torch failed as a dive torch but would make a very nice emergency torch for in your car or maybe in the kitchen drawer for when the lights go out, you know its going to work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys,

I was considering the whole torch arguement about 2months ago. In the end i brought a Greenforce Arrow 12. The umbilical option was brilliant because all you have on your front is a small head unit, and not a great big heavy hand unit.

It might look a tad expensive, i got mine for £260. Its rechargeable and comes with the 4hr fast charger. The advantage is the whole system is modular, so when i want a HID torch all i got to do is buy the HID head unit and put it on my battery back, same with manifolded batteries etc.

I dive in the UK and i've found it a great performer in all situations. I'd cetainly recommend it.  

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the advice, I am tempted to go for a more expensive and better quality torch. But the liveaboard holiday and wanting to buy a drysuit have blown my budget for the year. I think I can justify £50-150.

Is it really worth buying a rechargable light at £80 more ? Do many people use the none rechargable lights?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Yes but after not very many dives the rechargable has paid for itself in costs of batteries, and then theres the enviromental issue too.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Unless you put rechargeable batteries in it... you can quite often get rechargeable batteries and charger for less than the difference in lamp costs.

Plus they have an unfortunate tendency to put Nicads in the torches, when NiMHs would give a much longer life..

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DanG @ Oct. 15 2003,04:33)]and then theres the enviromental issue too.
off topic, but I assume you mean disposal issues here?

However the electricity to still has to be generated to charge it. Figure in power stations (Nuke, Oil or Coal pollution), tranmission cables (visual environment) and their cost, I do wonder if rechargeable cells are environmentally sound. Even more so when it comes to battery cars. Would a small wind turbine on each house do the job better?

Back on topic. I use a rechargeble, more for convenience. Standard batteries weigh almost as much and run down quickly. Factor in the weight of spare batteries against a charger on a flight, and rechargeables make a lot of sense.

Adrian

PS I use a UK600R, no longer made, but it has given 16 years service. I am just having to get a second replacement battery.

·
"That's NOT my avatar! It's film of me AFTER I was
528 Posts
Imported post

I have UKD4R. It has a 5W & 8W bulb, gives a good beam, especially in wrecks. The 8W is bright enough for me (but will eat the batteries quicker. It comes with a trickle charge and you do need to keep your torch charged up. I can get two dives on one charge if I use it sparingly, but it does need charging every night. I'd go for the UKD4 and buy rechargable batteries, then if you forget your charger (like I did one weekend) you can buy regular batteries instead, the D4R doesn't take regular batteries (not sure if you can get a housing for regulars to use in the D4R).
Whatever you go for, don't forget a backup light!

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the thoughts.

The environmental issue is something I consider, but as posted before the actual impact of disposable over rechargable is difficult to judge and in fact is a case study that they use on environmental Life Cycle Analysis courses to show the difficulty of such assessments. Simply put, you are seldom comparing like with like, i.e. the impact of the recurring energy supply + impact of charger production/disposal + impact of battery manufacture/disposal compared to manufacture and disposal of the ordinary batteries. It should reach a point where the rechargable outweighs the disposables but where that point is can vary. Sorry, pet subject....back to torches.

Having said all that I think if I can get the C8R for £100 (as one company is advertising it) then I should go for it, other wise I look into getting a charger that'll fast charge 8 NiMH and then buy the base model.

Thanks again

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 15 2003,08:25)]Unless you put rechargeable batteries in it... you can quite often get rechargeable batteries and charger for less than the difference in lamp costs.

Plus they have an unfortunate tendency to put Nicads in the torches, when NiMHs would give a much longer life..
I tend to get my rechargable batteries for everything that needs high performance batteries from www.overlander.co.uk they are mainly suppliers for the model electric flight market, but they also supply cells and will custom make battery packs to order. They cary NiCad, NiMh and Lithium Ion batteries.

Simon A

====Doh, Edited for spelling.=====

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Simon Thankyou

I was just looking for womewhere to get a suitable charger, so will have a look

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Just my 2p worth.

I bought the UK Light Cannon - nonrechargable, then went straight out and bought 16 rechargable C-cells and a charger - all for less than the cost of a rechargable Light Cannon.  I have one set of eight on charge whilst using the other set.  With fresh batteries this unit has a beam equal to far more expensive units and they can last over 2 hours in it.

You can also get cheap batteries and chargers at 7dayshop.co.uk (Uniross fast charge £14) and of course ebay (last week I bought 12 Uniross 2300mAh AA's for £27 - no P&P charge, arrived next day).

And, you can use the batteries when needed in other devices.

Course I now want an umbilical to stop the danglies and am looking longingly at a CD HID jobbie.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Are you bringing the light Cannon with you on the liveaboard? If those things are as bright as I have heard maybe the rest of us don't need torches at all

But seriously, where did you get the 8 C cell charger ? and how long does it take to charge ?

If it is possible to get an 8 cell fast charger I may be tempted to upgrade to a light cannon myself.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Timing,
Yes If I just want cells i get them from 7dayshop.co.uk (they are the cheapest we've found)
But Overlander will make you up proper Battery Packs from tagged cells.
As long as you dont want to draw more than 3Amps or charge at more than 3 Amps they also make some really high amp/hour Lithium Iom packs.
Simon A

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

UK Light Cannon

Best torch I ever bought. You can take it away on hols and just buy duracells at your destination. Back home I use the rechargable 8 cell battery that I bought with the camera.

It has to be the whitest light in the water and my buddies say they can see me from further away too. It uses an HID bulb with no element and produces a brighter light without using as much power.

You are supposed to get 3.5 - 4 hours on a single charge but I don't usually risk more than 3 hours.

Highly recommended!

Chris

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

I have made some progress, i.e. I have narrowed it down.

I can get the C8 for £49, the C8R for £90, or the light Cannon for £149. It all comes down to whether I can get a charger and batteries for less than the £40 difference for the C8's and whether I want to splash out and get the HID. Sorry...never been good at decisions.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

OK maybe I was a little unclear.  My charger only take 4 batteries at a time.  But, for the diving I've done thats not proven to be a problem.

If the right offer came along (hint, hint) then I might be tempted to sell the light cannon and batteries and charger.  You see, I want an umbilical.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I lost my old Princetown this season after about 8 years of use. Bought a Greenforce Arrow 14 for £260, good light but constant problems. Umbilical is great, and i have the torch head on an elastic loop around one wrist, very comfertable.

But constant bulb and battery/connection problems - guess what aint covered by the warrenty

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts