YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

All,

I have been approached by one of our dept technicians who is heading out to Aus for 3 weeks at the end of march. He has just decided he would like to dive while he is out there. Because of the short time scale involved I suggested he do a PADI open water course. He is very short of time (and cash) before he goes so I suggested doing a course once over there rather than doing it here first (my first suggestion).

Does anyone know any good schools (or ones to avoid - PM me if necessary!!) in Townsville or Cairns? Also, how long does it take to get to OW? There seems to be options to do 4 or 5 day courses, do fast track courses still exist? - any experiences here? Is it better to get the theory done and then do a referral? Has anyone got an idea of cost too - is it cheaper to book onto a course once over there?

Any advice very gratefully received.

Paul

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi

There are several shops/schools in both these towns, just do a search, but get it booked before he goes just in case the start times clash with his arrival. Cost should only be £250/£300 for OW and I think 4 days is a minimum unless he pays lots and does a 1to1.

James  

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Cost should only be £250/£300 for OW
Only!! Jeez I am glad I learn and train through BSAC

Thanks for the info, and the school suggestion. I will pass on the hint about getting it booked first. I think he is keen to get the OW nailed and then try to get some dives on the Great BR. Will OW be enough to get him onto these sorts of dives?

Paul

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Most of the opperators I met there were pretty lax about quals and if you could put the gear together tended to look the other way regarding the dives. I had PADI OWs doing 40m dives on a liveaboard I was on! I also had to pull three of them off a reef during a night shark dive as they froze when they seen the size of the sharks between us and the boat on the way back! As you may suspect, I was not impressed.

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts