YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Training Agencies - Lets have ya, do tell......

• BSAC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SAA

• HSE

• OTHERS

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK, who did you first train up with when you first took up diving.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

First proper course was PADI OW prior to that I did resort courses
with what ever organisation the resort had running.

PADI is a great kick start into diveing but all the courses I took with PADI after that were pants. TDI appear to run the more realistic technical courses in terms of depth qualification and cost but I have no comparison fro standard of training at that level.

Still want to do the GUE course but they wont let me

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

My experience of PADI courses is very different from Mark's. I did the old AOW course about a year and 50 dives after OW and thought it was a pretty good course. The Rescue Diver and Divemaster courses were both excellent. I must have had better instructors than Mark. I've also done the Swedish Sportdiving Federation's (CMAS) Basic Nitrox course, which was also very good.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

My experiences of PADI training have been mixed.  My OW and AOW were both pretty poor really (Resort courses on holiday).

The Rescue diver and divemaster course were both excellent.  Both done with the same group of instructors in the UK.

I do believe that regardless of agency it comes down to the intructor(s).  

For technical courses I think there are better agencies than PADI but I think overall for non tech courses the presentation, media and manuals from PADI is very good.

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Started diving with the Uni BSAC Club in '97, no way could I have afforded to do the PADI way on that kind of income, for folk on a budget you can't beat a Uni Club
  pity that it was spoilt by the stereotypical 'club clique' mentality, but never looked back since binning it  

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Started off with an SAA club - SHUG - st helens underwater group.
Left after about eight months cos the DO was one of the biggest tossers i've ever met - scum rises to the top in any broth an all that.
Nowt wrong with the training, just the trainer.
I'm a BSAC nazi now! Down with PADI ;)
Stu.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

Did padi OW and AOW on holiday in Sharm this year.

I'm wanting to join a BSAC club at moment, want to find a good one in Leeds/W Yorks area, if anyone knows one let me know.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Did PADI OW,AOW & RD & some specialities (Nitrox, Wreck, Eqpt) with a great UK instructor. Since then it's been a mix of TDI & IANTD, mostly TDI.  No complaints, but I have had the 'Wanker DO' scenario at a local SAA club.  He wanted to see my logs/quals so I could cross over. No problem.  Went down to pool night, spent an hour in the drink practising stage removal on the RB, then afterwards showed him what logs I had (never been that fastidious). He came out with "Well I've seen this sort of thing before, all those quals you've got we teach in the pool, and the last PADI guy we crossed over had loads of dives, but all in lakes."
He was reminded that neither CCR nor trimix was the sort of thing the SAA taught in pools, nor was a mix&stage loaded RB the sort of thing I would buy to prat about in bloody lakes.
Quickly gave him a run down of the most recent dives stored in me Stinger (eyes widened) then asked him how much he'd done recently.  He went away quietly.  One of the other guys in the club told me to ignore the tosser, nobody pays any attention to him cos he's hardly dived at all in the last couple of years.
Not what keen new members want though is it? Especially as another local BSAC club welcomed me with open arms, 'hideous' PADI training and all.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sprozman @ July 20 2003,01:35)]I'm wanting to join a BSAC club at moment, want to find a good one in Leeds/W Yorks area, if anyone knows one let me know.
We've got a couple of Leeds BSAC guys on the board, Paul Beal who is currently Leed Uni SAC DO, and Richard Greenwood(surname ?) who is in a non-Uni leeds club, not sure if I've seen him post here lately though.

I should have said I'm still in a BSAC club and my membership is still current but I haven't dived with the guys yet as it's a kind of 'virtual club' with no club fees - best of both worlds really

Steve

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

Steve, yes I'm still here - just lurking at the moment, as I haven't had much opportunity to get into the fora for a while (been really busy with work etc.).

Anyway, Sprozman (sp?), I'm a member of Leeds BSAC. Drop me a pm & I'll put you in touch with contacts at the Branch.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

whereas for me it's an escape from doing work, it's no coincidence that most of my posts are in office (ie lab) hours  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Why does this keep comoing up as a new post?

Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Everytime someone casts a vote I think it registers it as a a change to the post and hence shows up.

Daz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imported post

Paid my US$10.00 to the hotel and was diving the reef the next morning.  No-one told me about the mis-match between colds and diving.

PADI and the like appeared about 5 years later, but by then I was 3rd Class with BSAC.

Edward

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey where is CMAS  
 I been trained with Cmas up to 1* inst then to Nitrox inst, Adv. Nitrox Inst and Gas Blender. Also did nitrox and rescue diver with PADI and then move to TDI for trimix courses. So if I voted had to choose CMAS. Also about PADI rescue diver was very good as what was said it's down to Inst. Also OADI has a lot of material to help an inst.

Pierre

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

SSAc trained, usual route, started 1995, finished 3rd class middle back end of 1996.
All winter in the pool 1hr per week, then all summer in the silt bowl of Crummock with sea excursions for some salt.
We are slow, but we sure are thorough!!

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Bsac try dive got me hooked, but I was (and still am!) way to impatient to wait months to qualify.

PADI OW - one to one training with an instructor in Devon over the millennium holiday. Great instructor - I really enjoyed the course.

PADI AOW - again, enjoyed it.

PADI Reacue - Pants course - 20+ students and no more than 4 I'd want to help me if I were in trouble!

PADI DM - excellent fun - my fave course

PADI AI - it was free from the school I was DM'ing for

Then converted to an SAA club and becam an OWI with them

but then I converted to the DARK side and went down the TDI trimix route.

Bottom line - I just don't care about Qualifications, either you'll try to kill me underwater or you wont, either I'll dive with you or I wont.

Juz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Completed my PADI OW bout a year ago and my AOW about 2 months ago thanks to YD and Chardy.

Plan on doing my RD and EANx very soon, again with YD/Chardy, although may look into dales diver training on the Basic & Advanced Nitrox having just read one of Dcrampt's posts.

Have now started looking into the DIR(F) course, but need to have a few test dives with my new kit conf'g and brush up on the new skills I will need.

Diving is a full time sport, even when not diving

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

I started with PADI and have been lucky only to have one bad course (on the drysuit speciality I was with a group who kept loosing their fins, tanks, etc. and lead by a DM who managed to loose half of them). The rest of the instruction was really good and I only realised how much further my instructors beyond the basic sylabus once when I started my TDI training.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts