• British Sub Aqua club

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish Sub Aqua club

• Sub Aqua Association

• NAUI

• None, never been officially qualified.

• IANTD

• Other not listed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just out of curiousity and listed in no particular order what organisation were people trained with or consider to be their main training organisation?
No arguments about who is best or similiar, just curiosity about just what proportion are trained where.
If trained by multiple organisations then only the one considered to be the main one. If I have missed any out it is only because I couldn't think of any more likely candidates.
 Enjoy!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Sorry RB,

But didn't this topic come up a month or so ago. I can vaguely remember voting for on a similar post for which Dive Organisation we trained / were affiliated with? Or am I wrong and thinking of something else entirely?

.. away trawling the YD Boards ...

Yes found it. Andy the Comie 2 did a similar thing on 19th July.

Anyway, I'm quite new to diving and have only experienced diving training with BSAC. I did go to Menorca and dived with a PADI resort. They seemed quite sensible, although 95% of their instructors were British and so was the owner.

Dave C (BSAC Edin)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

A difficult decision to choose which agency. I started and went up to RD with PADI.

Last 2 courses were with TDI so I put them down as my choice as they are particularly relevant to my "current" diving (adv EANx/deco).

Just wanted to say I thought my PADI training was excellent.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Fin,

Very similar profile to myself there mate. I began my DM course with the 'Machine' and then binned it and went TDI, and like you am just about to do my Deco Procedures course.

Dive safe mate.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

BSAC all the way up to advanced diver - apart from IANTD adv nitrox (they let me do deco on 50% as a sports diver).

Just for the record, I never carry a crowbar...  

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

PADI then TDI but voted TDI coz all the diving I do now is TDI training related IE nitrox or Trimix deco stuff.

OH yes and I wasn't oficialy qualified to dive untill 2000 so I dived with resort tickets or no ticket at all for 12 years :0

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
 Why my training agency is never mentioned, I am CMAS 1* Instructer, Nitrox, Adv. Nitrox and Gas Blender. Also Padi as Nitrox diver, Rescue Diver and then TDI up to Adv. Trimix. Does anyone here is from CMAS as well.

Regards

Pierre

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

PADI, IANTD, TDI, member of an SAA club.  Bit of an old slapper really.
PADI instruction was excellent -all down to the instructor - as for the TDI/IANTD...the same instructor, different courses, pick yer own cert. All boils down to the instructor really.
SAA - instruction very good, similar outlook to BSAC as far as I can see. They haven't trained me in the water though, I just go for the boat courses and to piss the  DO off cos he's an utter [email protected] and doesn't dive, just relives old heroics.
Shades of BSAC again from what I've read.  

See that smilie? It means I was joking by the way

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Oct. 28 2003,12:50)]I did go to Menorca and dived with a PADI resort. They seemed quite sensible, although 95% of their instructors were British and so was the owner.

Dave C (BSAC Edin)
Are you suggesting that only British PADI instructors and divecentre owners are sensible?  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

John,

Of course not.
I have a very limited experience of diving full stop. I did dive with UK and Spanish instructors/guides and found that independent of which nationality the 'guide' was there was a difference in how the guide looked after their customers. This ranged from the lead guide who made sure everyone was back on the boat with >= 50 Bar through the young guide who 'funnily enough always seemed to end up buddied with that georgous Blond Air hostess from Slovinia with the large lung padding' (and who wore a 7mm semidry 'in the med' for flip sake) to (and this is not slur on the Spanish) the Spanish guide who finned off ahead and didn't surface for over an hour on one 12lt at depths of 20 - 25 mtrs, leaving us to find and ascend the anchor rope. This proved no problem how ever as the vis in Menorca was >20m vertically and >30 horizontally. I was told to avoid buddying with some nationalities (no names no pack drill) by some of the dive leaders in my club prior to departure, but non of these folk dived whilst I was there.

But hey I had a great time out there and can't wait to get back

Dave C

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Oct. 28 2003,23:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]PADI, IANTD, TDI, member of an SAA club.  Bit of an old slapper really.
No arguements from me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]See that smilie? It means I was joking by the way
You little liar - you are just trying to start a fight.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Oct. 28 2003,13:16)]Hey Fin,

Very similar profile to myself there mate. I began my DM course with the 'Machine' and then binned it and went TDI, and like you am just about to do my Deco Procedures course.

Dive safe mate.
Bren,

I really enjoyed the Adv EANx (b/all to it really) and the deco procedures which we did at the same time. The instructor was v/good and gave us some good pointers on kit config etc.

Now, virtually every dive is planned as a deco + looking forward to trimix early next year.

If you haven't already, get someone to do you a normoxic helium mix and do a 40 or 50 mtr dive - what a difference! If I had not done it myself I would never have believed that the difference could be so noticeable.

Anyway - have fun, it is a good course.

Rgds
Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Oct. 29 2003,15:32)]Where are you going to get yours from now, smartarse?
I couldn't possibly say - in case they get into trouble.

I do know that that person is not the type of person that would refuse another person a bit of mix just because a person had made some humerous comment abt that person - especially when a person mentions the word please and grovel in the same sentence to that person.

Rgds
A Person.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Started with the BSAC whilst in the queen's flying club, got up to advanced diver & advanced instructor. Then crossed over to PADI to be go & work in the sun, which was nice. Along the way became a TDI instructor, and would love to teach it, and an instructor with the IAHD, for those that have different abilites.

To be really honest, I will dive when and where-ever and with anyone and enjoy passing my knowledge of diving to those that want to learn.

You are a diver if you breath underwater!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

BSAC for the reason that most divers who learn in a club enviroment do; i.e. I went along to the local swimming pool 'cos I fancied learning to dive and heard there was a club there. The fact they were BSAC or there are other training organisations wasn't a consideration. If they'd been SSAC, SAA or Big Joe's Scuba Felons, I wouldn't have known because, as a potential diver, I knew nothing. Of course there wasn't the choice of trainers there are nowadays (and I remember when this were all just fields
)

I've done PADI and ANDI courses as well, they all have their ups and downs, but thankfully the numbers of ups has thus far kept pace with number of downs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts