YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Tralee Caravan Park Oban

569 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dave Crampton 
#1 ·
Imported post

I'm aware that theres a couple of posters on here that have Tralee Caravan park on their doorsteps.  Browsing the SAA site I came across this report seems like divers aren't very popular there at the moment!!!! Bad show that it gets to that stage don't ya think???

Diver Pollution:

Like all Sportsmen and women I am passionate about my sport and I can talk the hind legs of a donkey given the right conditions and the correct lubrication for my throat. However I fully understand that not everyone out there has the same interest in what I do. This has become much more apparent this year when I tried to book my normal weeks diving on the west coast of Scotland. My base for the last seven years has been Tralee Bay Holiday Park. The accommodation is excellent, the staff brilliant and the park has its own slip from which we can launch our boat and moorings on which it can be left overnight with some of the best diving in the UK right on the doorstep. However when talking to the owners they informed me that they are considering a ban on divers using this excellent facility. The reason. Diver Pollution!!! They are fed up with disturbance that divers cause for their other guests and not paying attention to the booking information supplied. The problems they have are as follows
1 Group members turning up early for their accommodation and giving park staff verbal abuse because it is not available.
2 Group members turning up in the small hours of the morning and not knowing which is their accommodation.
3 The number of cars that are parked outside a single caravan.
4 Boats and trailers left obstructing access to others.
5 The noise created by early starts
6 Equipment left all over outside to dry.
7 Late departure from accommodation due to having that last morning dive.
8 The dirty state of the accommodation when the divers eventually depart.

Is this an isolated case? After talking to Trallee Bay I then tried to book at South Coast Parks for the Easter period and have found that around the frequented diving areas (Weymouth and Portland) some parks will not accept group booking from divers any more. Is this problem widespread? You the divers will know. Please let your dive organization know if you have the same problem in your diving locations. If it is we as a group must address the problems along with the Park owners. As divers if we want to continue with our sport and have access to diving around the coast then we must start to pay more attention to the Divers Code of Practice and be more aware of the impact we as a group are having on the general public around us. Back in the early eighties we lost easy access to sites like Lulworth Cove because of this same problem. Have we learnt the lesson? I do not think so. Like most problems with diving it is the few unthinking divers that can ruin the sport for the majority. Please when you organize a trip make sure that all participants are fully aware of the arrangements and pay attention to the impact your sport is having on the other people around you. If not we will lose easy access to some of the best dive sites in the UK. The Park owners can also help by asking for Club/Branch numbers on their booking forms and if problems arise then let the diving organization know the details so that the culprits can be bought to task. We have had some bad publicity about wreck diving and have now cleaned up this area. We do not need any more.

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well said Tony. I'm greatfull to you for pointing this out and will take appropriate action when I get round to booking a campsite for the Anglessey Trip. Thsi reminds me, we can't book the Valley of the Rocks site as they do not take bookings and only operate a turn up and pitch system. This will prevent us from getting all the YD divers in one handy area and being able to police our own team (stand up Inspector Teirney). I'm going to have a look round again to see if there is anywhere with isolated fields which we can all get in together. This prompts the question is anyone living on or very near Anglessey who we could ask to help coordinate this, as its a 6+ hour drive for me to reccy the sites. I know Kate R lives there at present but I believe she is off line? I'll perhaps post another thread instead of hijacking this one.

Dave C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.