YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have finally given in and brought twin 12's with the intention of going doewn the nitrox / adv. nitrox route.  I usually dive a single 15 with a dive rite rec wing on a transpac II harness.  I know that the wing bladder will happily take the 12's, but does anyone have any experience of using twins on a transpac ?  I know all of the dive rite literature  claim that it can be used with anything up to twin 20's, but I still have concerns about trusting all of that weight to a bit of material.  What think you ?

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

If their literature says twin 20's I'm sure you'll be fine with it, my OMS says 2x20s limit too.

Just a point of curiousity, you've associated nitrox diving with needing a twinset, is that what most people tend to think? If so why

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

May seem like a daft question but are you using the cambands or the stabilising plate ?

Diverite say you can use Cambands but I'm not sure I would want to try with twins. The stabilising plate supposedly makes the harness more stable but by all accounts I have heard not as stable as a backplate, but no problems for smaller sets.

BTW I am a TPII user but have no experience myself of using it with twins, this is just what I have heard said when considering buying a TPII knowing that twins probably lie somewhere in my future.

Hope this helps

Conor

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Nitrox & twins tend to go together because of the longer bottom times they both give... why use a gas that gives you an hours no-deco if you only have 30mins of gas?

And then there's the whole "getting into safer diving" - by using the optimal gas AND getting a redundant rig..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Camdiver,

Definately the  stabilising plates as the camband sounds just a bit too suspect ! Even so, the stabilising plates only really appear to act as an oversize washer.  I will eventually end up biting the bullet and buying  a backplate, but the credit card is still reeling from the twinset shock . . . . . I only went into the shop for a pair of gloves !

Steve W,

The descision to go down the twin path is partly brought on by the Nitrox, but also down to redundancy.  I did look into a pony set up, but with the price of the extra reg, cylinder and bracket, it was as cheap to buy the twins an an extra pseiodon 1st stage.   As far as the Nitrox = twins, I don't believe for a second that I NEED twins to do the nitrox, but with the prospect of longer bottom times without running into deco, the extra gas wouldn't go a miss.  And as  I plan to do the advanced notrox and deco procedures, then it seems a reasonable investment to make.

Having said all of that, and if I am totally honest, the twins do look much more macho than the single . . . .  they go really well with my 48" dive knife, 415V HID torch and and the miriad of other parephenalia adorning all of the 42 D rings

Cheers ,

John

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Thought the same, keep us posted on how it goes with the TPII as I'll probably go down the same path in the future.

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

i have TP2 but only use it for singles.. to my mind the plastic clips just dont look strong enough....

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I had one for a while, in the end I pulled an eyelet through but that was my own fault. I inserted a stainless backplate between the harness and the wing, it was fine so go ahead

Andrew

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

John - dont worry at all mate. I have used a TII harness with my 12l twinset and the kit is as strong as hell !!

Only one tip though - get the stabilising plates that make the set more rigid. If you need a set you can have mine for a fiver !! - I converted to harness just to see what the fuss is all abbout and to be honest there is no difference.

Go for it

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I'm looking at doing exactly the same thing. I did a test and borrowed a couple of 12's, and used them as independendents on my TP (more to see how easy it was to get in / out of the rib then anything else. I got some SS bands 2nd hand for £30 on ukdiving, and everything worked  treat. I'm now saving up for a proper set and another 1st stage.

Kirky, do you need stablising plates if you're using SS bands? If so, (and if john doesn't want them) I'll happily take them off your hands.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (craigh @ Oct. 16 2003,16:16)]i have TP2 but only use it for singles.. to my mind the plastic clips just dont look strong enough....
Which plastic clips do you mean? The shoulder clips? I use a 300 bar 10 L cylinder and 300 bar 3 Litre pony, weighing 25 kilos full, which surely must be about the same as twin 10 litre 232 bar cylinders, and have never had any problems with the plastic pinch clips. They seem very strong. The cambands on the TP II now come with ss buckles, of course.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I am surprised Andrew was not a bit more damming about the failure on the Transpac. I was there when it happened. He picked up the twin set by the sholder straps but in the horizontal position not the vertical position and the bolt pulled through the islett. Personaly I thaught that was prety crap as I pick my rig up like that all the time.

That said Add a back plate to it and it works fine.

The harnes with the trans pac was also a bit debious IMHO the adjustment is a but fussey and I used to watch Andrew kitting up and thaught it was a bit of kit I definatly wouldent be up grading too.

Again you can change the harnes so it can be overcome. Andrew now has the back plate and a Custom Divers harnes and it all seems to work well.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Just to add my 2 pennies worth.

I love my transpac, I really do.  It is great for singles and holiday diving but I would not use it for twins (Well maybe 7's).

A harness and backplate could be knocked up for £50 and it will take a lot more abuse than the transpac will.

I am sure there are many people who have used a TP2 with twins quite happily but a backplate and harness will definitely be more rugged, stable and secure.

Daz

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Cheers for all the advice.

I finally got everything set up and went for a test dive Friday.  The  whole rig seems to be pretty stable, but then I was possibly being over delicate following the warnings on the eyelets pulling out.  I suppose the test will come when it gets chucked around a RIB !  The only problem I had was being far too top heavy....a severe re-distribution of weight is in order before the next outing !

I did get hold of a set of stabilising plates, but to be honest, they don't work particularly well with the custim divers twinning bands that I have.  Looking at the Dive Rite info, they suggest that the wing and harness is sandwiched between the plates and the bands, but the profiles do not match up so I am left with a large gap.  Am I missing something ?

Somewhat bizzarely the TP is actually more comfortable with the twins than with the single 15.

I will eventually try it with a harness, but all surplus cash is being directed at the Notrox course for the moment.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Janos

The stabilising plates are used on any twinset with SS bands. Basically they fit between the wing and tanks and offer something to tighten on to. This makes the set a bit more stable.

PM me if you want them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts