YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,

After spending more than I thought possible on new Diving kit (didnt realise how expensive this could be) I am looking for a bag to store it all in.

I was just wondering what you guys use, either for the UK or traveling abroad, I was looking at the

Oceanic Cargo http://www.simplyscuba.com/cgi-bin....oduct=1
or
Oceanic Excursion Plus Bag http://www.simplyscuba.com/cgi-bin....oduct=1

I dont know if these will be big enough to hold a BCD, Fins, Wetsuit and regs, I guess they are strong enough to survive the plane journey.

Any advice welcome

Cheers
Adam

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Adam

Get yourself one of the NDB 12 type from Northern Diver. ND

I have two and are the best bags I've used. They do a larger one but this is quite a lift on it's own.

James

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I use a lomg wheelbase ford Transit and at times it seems a bit on the small side. As for planetravel I do have a Bag from Posidon. But I can`t fit the tanks and stuff in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Imported post

Hi Adam

I have got an Oceanic Cargo bag andf it will take a full set of gear (fins,regs,BCD,reels etc) but it's marginal. I just use it for all my bits and peices now for my techie gear. I would go with Narkedat50's suggestion of the ND bags. A mate of mine got one at the dive show and it's pretty good.

Matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

Well Ive got a beaver ambassador bag for my kit and its the mutts nuts.  You know those transformer toys yeh? Well this thing is like one of them, one minute your wheeling it along the floor and then when that aint possible, you can bring out some straps from hidden compartments and wear it like a hikers backpack, great for weight distribution.  Its also got a mini back pack zipped to the front which you can stick your regs in and also take it off for hand luggage; can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adamsh @ Jan. 01 2004,21:18)]Hi,

After spending more than I thought possible on new Diving kit (didnt realise how expensive this could be) I am looking for a bag to store it all in.

I was just wondering what you guys use, either for the UK or traveling abroad, I was looking at the

Oceanic Cargo http://www.simplyscuba.com/cgi-bin....oduct=1
or
Oceanic Excursion Plus Bag http://www.simplyscuba.com/cgi-bin....oduct=1

I dont know if these will be big enough to hold a BCD, Fins, Wetsuit and regs, I guess they are strong enough to survive the plane journey.

Any advice welcome

Cheers
Adam
When I purchased my diving gear I was also looking for a dive bag , but when I joined a club I realised the other divers didn't seem to use them !
When diving on a rib we assemble tank BCD regulator and the rest gets put into a large goodly bag.
When diving a hard boat most of us just use large plastic containers purchased from diy shops, mine has wheels at one end and can hold all my diving gear (not bad for £10)
For my upcoming red Sea trip I intend to buy a £20 large holdall from Argos!
I looked at the bags you mentioned and they both look very nice although the second one is very expensive in my opinion!
Also  a expensive looking bag is more likely to be stolen, so I never buy expensive luggage

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

Go to your nearest military supply shop and get a large kit bag thats what i use for all my sport kit one with wheels is an added bonus. don't realy look expensive you can't tell whats in them and will hold anything.

just my  2p worth

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I initially got a large Aquallung wheelie bag thing, and realised it was a pain in the ass to move when fully loaded and added a couple of kg to the weight.

So now I have a north face 110L expedition bag, its perfect cos
doesn't look expensive/like dive gear
very lightweight
Very easy to carry
Tarpaulin material means it can either keep your dry gear dry or prevent your wet gear from soaking everything around it.

Cheers

Conor

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I went to my local debenhams and bought a great large hard case with wheels on it. - It carries all my gear and clothes and doesn't look like a dive bag - it was in a sale so got it real cheap too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

If you are going to do alot of plane travel, I'd suggest getting some hard luggage.  On my last trip to the UK in September, when I arrived there were rips in my bags, etc.  I had to tape them up in order to get back home.  So, I just purchased some hard luggage which is made of ABS plastic and I'll just put it all in there.  Also, like others have mentioned, it is just luggage and doesn't give away that there is expensive dive gear inside.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>For daily storage of my dive kit I use one of those large plastic boxes with a hinged lid as it is easy to load into the car and also waterproof so the boot doesn't get wet.  As for holidays I used bought one of the ND large wheelie bags in 1999, after a couple of trips one of the wheels went then the small plastic handle on the top broke (first thing the guys grab when loading on to the top of an Egyptian minibus) which I managed to fix a couple of times, as they are simply not constructed to hold the weight.  It had its final flight last year when somehow the airline managed to brake the zipped off bag.  

The disadvantge with one of the ND type bags is they have rigid sides and therefore if you are on a liveaboard then they are difficult to store, the bag itself also weighted nearly 8kg which with a 20kg weight limited gets difficult.  

I have since bought a bag from a company called Tatanka, which is similar in construction to Conor's North face.  It has an expandable handle and wheels.  The dive bags which convert to rucksacks may seem like a good idea but carying a bag of 20kg plus is too heavy.  

Fiona

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

I use a soft bag (not diving branded) for going abroard. I kind of think branded bags (a bit like Dive stickers on cars) invite attention from the light fingered brethern.

Also when you are on aliveaboard it can be stashed out of the way easily.

To keep things from breaking is a matter of packing correctly ie using fins and scab jacket to protect more fragile things ie DVs etc.

Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts