YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Hi, I know the travel insurance thing has been done so to speak but I'm trying to arrange insurance for Malta.

I've been looking at lots and I'm really confused as to what i need having never actually got travel insurance before (my dad used to add me on to his work family one).

Now correct me if I'm wrong but most want to sell the IDEc thingummy. But if I'm in malta I'm covered for health care cost under a reciprocal arrangement with the UK so please explain why i need to shell out loads extra for this when I should already be covered. Or have i completely confused this??

I also don't understand why dive-master quotes you different prices on it's website to the prices BSAC quote on it's website using dive-master.

What might be covered on my house insurance, to be honest i have no idea, so what am i asking about in insurance terms?

Basically I'm just really confused as to what i need and how much it should cost me, so any help or advice would be great.

Mary  

ps I've just scared myself silly working out how much all my kit costs too and I don't have expensive stuff either  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Not living in the UK, I can't answer your questions, Mary, but my advice would be check with your house insurance company what that policy covers before shelling out for extra insurance. I supect house insurance cover here in Sweden is better than in the UK but mine covers just about everything for travel up to a maximum of 45 days, including chamber treatment and evacuation and with no limitations regarding depth or gas.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hi mary. not totally sure but does the reciprocal agreement cover recompression treatment? and even if it does, under reciprocal agreements you're generally expected to pay for it yourself then claim the money back (at least that was the situation when i was in australia). might be a bit pricey paying for the pot!

with the IDEC i don't think you have to pay for recompression up-front, it's all covered.

don't know about kit, but it should be relatively easy to check what's covered under house insurance?

diving apart, one thing to think about is card protection policies - i thought it was just for lost cards but when my cards, passport, driving licence, cash and basically everything was nicked in australia they dealt with it.

i used divemaster insurance when i was away - i never had to make a claim but they came across as being very helpful

k

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Mary

I use Buddyindepth.co.uk (sorry its not the link I have never mastered how to add one)or my travel insurance I took out an annual policy at the dive show but normally go for the single trip ones.

You can get a quote on line, I put in Europe as I assumed that is OK for Malta, added some dates for 8 days cover, don't know how old you are but I put in 1980 for date of birth and it came out at just over £26 that sounds good to me.  It covers all you need I think if in doubt you could give them a call.  You are also covered to what ever depth you are qualified to dive to, so for me its 50m.

FB

PS as for the Divemaster prices against BSAC website there is a discount for being a BSAC member.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mary

I've just signed up with Leisurecare (01793 750150) fo a family world wide policy @ £98. Bargain. It covers me to dive to my qualification limit or 40m, also £5m medical including repatriation and air ambulance. There are then obviously the standard baggage stuff etc. in the policy wording, but that's pages.

For the Malta trip you need the Individual European cover at £40 per annum. You would save money by going for world wide if you travel farther a field. Give them a call and ask them to send you a form, it won't cost you a penny.

If you are not going to travel again you could just get a single trip insurance but these tend to be expensive in comparison, probably around £20/25 for a week and seldom do they do depths like 40m, 15m is more common.

Your E111, available from post offices, will cover you for medical expences in Europe, but not delays, baggage, legal expences etc.

Hope this is a help, regardless of which insurance you go with, just make sure you ask specificaly about scuba depths and ask them to confirm it in writting.

See you at Stoney

James

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I used Dive-Master for thier Idec Card and their Kit insurance. Very helpfull and prompt. Didn't know they gave discounts for BSAC
 I did tell them I'm with BSAC and they never mentioned any discount BSAC members !!

Will mention this when I book my next travel insurance!

Dave C

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave

My kit is insured with Divemaster and there is a space on the renewal form for your BSAC membership number.

Fiona

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>you also get a discount with dive-master for being a stoney member. don't know whether that's just the same as the BSAC discount though

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

I think the reciprocal arrangment your referring to is that provided under the E101 form that you get stamped/dated etc at the Post Office.  The E101 only provides cover if you seek medical care under the local NHS equivalent.  If you go to a private doctor you have to pay.  Ive a form here as Im off soon too.  For Malta all the arngement covers is immediate necessary medical and surgical care in a gov hospital, health centre and district clinic .  You still have to pay for anything done privately.

Travel Insuarnce covers loads more such as lost luggage, delayed flights, cancellation and is not that expensive should be able to get annual cover for £30-£40 if not cheaper.  It also gives greater medical cover such as treatmnet, repatriation back to uk etc.  Loads of firms on the web offer travel insurance just make sure you declare all condition and medictaions on the proposal form.

Kit insurance is based on cost of kit new. Gives a hire allowance if lost on flight etc.  Try Westfield as well as Divemaster

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Jan. 27 2004,11:51)]hi mary. not totally sure but does the reciprocal agreement cover recompression treatment? and even if it does, under reciprocal agreements you're generally expected to pay for it yourself then claim the money back (at least that was the situation when i was in australia). might be a bit pricey paying for the pot!
Do you actually have to pay up front? We don't. The Scandinavian insurance companies have a joint office in Copenhagen (called SOS), manned 24 hours a day by doctors. The chamber operator just has to call them. The doctor on duty then checks your insurance company's register online to ensure that you are in fact insured by them, after which he gives the go-ahead. The whole procedure doesn't take long.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Jan. 27 2004,13:31)]I use Buddyindepth.co.uk (sorry its not the link, I have never mastered how to add one).
Fiona
Just type the whole URL http://www.buddyindepth.co.uk The computer will then make it active, so that a click takes you there.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Jan. 27 2004,13:20)]Fiona
Just type the whole URL http://www.buddyindepth.co.uk The computer will then make it active, so that a click takes you there.
or if you use the "http://" button it'll prompt you for the URL

e.g. http://www.google.co.uk

then the title e.g. search engine

and it'll appear in the post as search engine

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you actually have to pay up front? We don't. The Scandinavian insurance companies have a joint office in Copenhagen (called SOS), manned 24 hours a day by doctors. The chamber operator just has to call them. The doctor on duty then checks your insurance company's register online to ensure that you are in fact insured by them, after which he gives the go-ahead. The whole procedure doesn't take long.
not sure to be honest - but i'm sure you'll agree it's definitely something worth checking!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>OK, well I think I might have some but I'm not entirely sure. Went to the westfield page and entered in my details for a travel insurance proposal form. Says they will sort quote but also wants CC details anyway think i will ring them in a bit........

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Mary,

As regards hospitals in Malta, there is a reciprocal agreement, we don't charge Maltese expats and vice versa. I unfortunately has to spend 3 days in hospital there following an accident some 8yrs ago. There was no charge to myself either before, during or after. It was non diving incident related so can't comment ref recompression chamber, but the staff were very good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts