YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Okay, I know this is an old one, but I can’t remember what, if any, conclusive answer was given!
Flying on Saturday & taking a pony with me, which will be packed in the crate with the rest of my gear.  The dive gear is on the reservation so the airline knows that I am taking it on the flight.
It will be packed at the bottom of the crate so I don’t want to have to take it out unless forced to but I would expect it would be quite likely that we would have to open the crate for inspection.

What is the best way to present the cylinder – what can I get away with?  I have seent he standard “empty with the valve open” stuff, but surely that is not a good way to carry your cylinders unless you really want them full of moisture?  Will I get away with a few bar (<5) in them and the valve shut which would be my preference?  After all, the fractions of a bar difference in the drop in atmospheric pressure are nowhere close to the vessel working pressure!
Any advice gratefully received, as always…

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've no personal experience, Lou, but I don't think you would get away with less than the pony empty and the valve open. In fact, some airlines evidently make you remove the valve altogether. If you're worried about condensation – I would be – the best solution, according to previous threads on Divernet, is to cover the opening with plastic film and Sellotape.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

In England I have never had to show the cylinder (YET) in Egypt and Malta I had to present the cylinder and open the valve to show it was empty. It was very nearley empty but not quite and they didnt complain. I emptied it then shut the valve but as it warms up you get some more presure back in the tank.

I had no problems but it was a pain opening up the box and showing them.

Like you there was nothing in the box but dive geer and the box was marked that all cylinders were empty. That unfortunatly cut no ice.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou,

I take mine wrapped in a towel in the middle of my suit case / dive bag, empty with the valve open and some black tape around the valve to prevent any ingress of moisture. I've only had to display the pony once (at Manchester) and it's never been a problem.

Have a good trip, are you both off anywhere nice?

Cheers,

Noel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Last time I took mine on a plane it had to be empty with the valve open, try taping a sachet of silica gel over the valve, that should stop any moist air getting in.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

But, of course, make sure that they'll agree to FILL your pony when you get there, as some places won't - UK markings aren't universally accepted.

If they won't, Kent Diving do a decanting whip for £75ish that'll solve your problem..

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Yep, already the asked the guy that, he said no problem.  He was bemused as to why we wanted ponies though - not too common in Canada as far as I could make out!  

Cheers

Lou

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

On a trip to the red sea I had to demonstrate that the cylinder was empty and the valve open on outbound and inbound journeys.

HTH,
Darren

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

True I havent seem many people in Canada using ponies, they don't seem to be as common here as they are in the uk.
Possibly because the diving condititions here are generally safer, vis is clear, many sites are sheltered and they have purpose placed wrecks with lots of holes in em and all the nasty wires taken out!
You see people with twins more often than with ponies here, but then they also use ali cylinders a lot - small ones at that (11L).

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

A pony is just intended as a bail-out for those of us who, for various reasons, prefer to dive with a single cylinder rather than a twinset, Dan. Many of us think diving without a redundant air supply is lunacy. Experience (and the incident statistics) shows that, contrary to what we are all taught on our OW course, you cannot rely on your buddy to get you out of trouble when things go wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

I totally agree, I have a pony myself, my diving just isnt technical enough to require a twinset at the moment, I can get quite long enough out of a single cylinder for all my needs.
And I have no intention of ever having to rely on my buddy for something, I dive with a buddy for social reasons not for safety reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts