YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ancient Mariner
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of booking a trip aboard 'Jane R' in September travelling from Tromso to Narvik.
Can anybody offer any advice on the best/most economical means of getting self and kit to and from Tromso/Narvik? Also what sort of baggage allowance is normally given as north of the arctic circle I'll probably need more than my normal Red Sea kit!

Many Thanks.

·
One half of team dip sh!t
1,638 Posts
If you go to the members list and look up Alan Gough and send him a pm he may be able to help, he has just been to norway or is back soon.

HTH

Dave

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Peter,

Narvik does have an airport, but it is not on the standard flights.

I flew into Evenes (aka Harstad-Narvik but an hour to each town) from Oslo (and also Bergen, but that's another story :D) with Norwegian Air. From there you can get a coach to Narvik. The coach drop off was about a 20 minute walk to the docks area. Obviously you will be doing the reverse trip. Norwegian Air also do an Oslo - Tromso shuttle.

At the time I went, I flew BA from Heathrow to Oslo. Norwegian did a flight from Stanstead, but the extra travel and timing did not work for me. I see they now also fly form Gatwick and Edinborough, so you could get a full through service. I would have been on my own if BA had screwed up.

I think I had a 20kg limit, but I did manage ali backplate, neo drysuit, heavy torch and twin regs for indies (borrowed cylinders). All in I was under 30kg inc hand luggage. I had no problem with that little lot.

HTH,

Adrian

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I'd drop Gordon an eMail. He will be able to tell you what others are doing or he might even be able to offer an alternative - perhaps he is actually starting in Bergen so you could get the Ferry for example.

Juz

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Bergen to Narvik is an awfully long way. I suspect (knowing Gordon) he'll be in Narvik, waiting for the divers. He does have cylinders on board and will rent them out to you. He also has weigh I think. The Jane R under went a refit recently after it grounded over the winter in Scotland. I hope its better than when we were in it over Summer 2005.

Ferry to Bergen is 24 hours from Newcastle so to Narvik I would recomend flying, even if you were to transfer. Do as Adrian has suggested and contact BA or Gordon himself. He checks his email quite regularly.

Fly to Norway- Norwegian Air Shuttle - low fare airline fligh from Oslo to Harstad/Narvik for 61 euro each way. They don't flu to Gatwick until October but do fly from Stanstead.

Example:

Outward Fri 6th July, ~90 euro Stanstead - Oslo, 61 Euro oslo - Narvik
Return Monday 16th July Same (similar)

But you might get cheeper flights to Oslo RTN with another carrier.

BA 177 return to Oslo on 6th return 16th July (example dates) on BA0762 Rtn BA0769

All the best.

Dave C

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Peter
I'm booked on the Jane R for a Narvik trip in September. We are flying to Narvik from Edinburgh via Amsterdam (KLM) and Oslo (Norweigan Air) - full cost for return flights = £260ish, though these were booked in January so there may be increases by now. There is only one flight per day each way between Narvik and Oslo, so your best bet would be to check availablity/costs/dates for these flights and then work backwards/forwards from there.

Luggage allowance on the Oslo-Narvik leg is 20kg + 9kg hand luggage. I did investigate costs for shipping equipment out to/back from Narvik, but was looking at a min. cost of £300 each way.

hope this helps

Sam

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Don't forget you are probably flying to Evenes airport, not Narvik. Narvik airport is a little municipal job.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Aye, and often confusing shown as Harstad-Narvik.

I could describe Narvik airport, but my view was distorted by the oxygen mask :D
Oh yes i remember that Trip report now. Yes I'll have to revisit that again. That was your Dark period, where your avatar was that cartoon guy in the black bondage mask.

:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Just thought I'd point out that Norwegian have a special (very reasonable) price for sports equipment, including diving equipment. That's over and above the normal 20 kg and exceptionaly generous 10 kg hand luggage, of course.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
i have dived narvik , GW, its 3 flights and about 90min taxi ride to the boat

burgen to narvik is 900 miles + is a long drive ,so its a no no ,

i had 3 bags all full of kit about 60kg never got stoped or charged for the x load , cant say if thats the norm ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts