YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Anyone who dives regularly from Trearddur Bay will know there are limited slipway arrangements on the west side of Anglesey, which makes Trearddur Bay a really popular launch site for visiting divers.
On Saturday last we rolled up to launch our club RIB at about 11.00am to visit the Segontium later in the afternoon. On arrival at the slipway we were greeted by a poor unfortunate chap who had been given the task of asking everyone who was launching a boat for £10. Now I am not against a launching fee where adequate facilities exist for users, but the Trearddur Bay slipway and beach is best described as too steep and a mudbath at low states of the tide, with only one set of toilets aproximately half a mile from the slipway. On top of the £10, I was also told by a local dive store owner, there is to be a watercraft registration scheme introduced which will cost in the region of £150 per year.

My advice to those who wish to launch at Trearddur Bay is to ensure you get there early, very early if it is a neap tide and take advantage of a free launch if you get your boat in before 10.00 am.

No facilities, inconsistent management and a beach that is disgusting is quite simply A RIP-OFF. I will be writing to Anglesey Council to complain. I suggest others do the same.

Geoff Oldfield

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hmm
i launch from trearddur all the time, this will be a pain, and 10 is much too expensive

you cal launch from bull bay and roscollin btw,

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree Geoff £10 seems a bit over the top and the possible £150 a year Registration fee even more so.
The simple answer is vote with your feet or your trailer.

Between £5-10 seems to be the going rate for launching these days, Not so bad paying the top wack if your have the facilities of a Marina .  Largs in Scotland springs to mind, there you have slipway, Dive Shop, Shower Block, split between a group cost not that bad.

Various places levy charges different ways ie some fixed charged per boat or theres a few places charge per boat and "then" per diver. Just another example of a local authority jumping on the bandwagon.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Wouldn't you think the local authorities would give some thought to the revenue that divers ALREADY[/B][/U] bring to their localities. In Treaddurr for example, the Dive Shop, the camp sites, the hotels and B&B's, the petrol station, the pubs, the two stores in the middle of the village on the main street. have they gone F*****g mad?? So they trap the remaining few boats that still launch from the slipway and collect perhaps £100 per day? How much does the local community LOSE per day?? (Bet they wouldn't charge the golfers for crossing paths/roads to reach the far side of the golf courses!!)

Sheer greed!

Has anyone asked the locals their opinions/pointed out the possible consequences to the community??

Must be plenty of other places screaming out for divers to come and spend their money locally!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Certainly not the behaviour of a local authority that wants to encourage divers. The action seems short sighted to me.

The reality here I feel is as divers we are a group the locals "just put up with" and in practice I would suspect don't bring in the same revenue as in the Yachty set.
Another case of If we don't like it we lump it.

Perhaps a few letters to the tourist board may be in order

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

We go Treaddur every year, if this is what the local council have in mind, please add my name to your complaint, or forward details of who to complain to! It's quite rightly stated that the bay is poor for toilets etc, paying £10 would be ok if it was all licenced, I am sure that the butty wagon isn't !
Keep me infromed

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I am back from a fantastic two weeks diving in the Maldives. Mantas, Mantas and even more Mantas!!!

They have tried this before and had to withdraw it after the local fishing club kicked up a stink.  I would think this will go the same way.

Fiona

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Sadly Fifi, it appears tyhe council have remembered that lesson and it is reported locally that they have sewn up the loopholes. A cheaper option seems to be to join the Holyhead sailing club for £125 and get a decent slip, changing rooms, showers, bar and toilets nearby - none of which you get from the council at Trearddur Bay. the other solutio is to make sure you get there and launch before 10.00am, which is the time the jobsworth gets there. It's always possible to pull your boat out at any time of day though, or so I'm told.

Maybe we'll meet up again soon. Next trip there for us is 18/19 October or possibly before.

Regards

Geoff

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Geoff Oldfield @ Sep. 09 2003,18:51)]the other solutio is to make sure you get there and launch before 10.00am

Maybe we'll meet up again soon. Next trip there for us is 18/19 October or possibly before.

Regards

Geoff
<font color='#0000FF'>Geoff,

I think this is probably why historically we have always had to be ready for 9am, whatever the tides are doing.  Now we have an excuse.

I will be diving on one of Martin's trips on the 18th, but will probably see you soon.

Fiona

1 - 9 of 9 Posts