YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of dives at Trefor pier this weekend, first UK sea dives for me and my buddy Arfie. Very pleasant, nice vis around 5-8 m and lots to look at compared with puddles! We are certainly up for some more in the future.

Couple of questions re these fellas we found, happy bonking away, but are these, the big ones, edible crabs? Next question, how do you catch / kill them?

Attachments

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We saw one descending rapidly and assumed it had been lobbed back by a fisherman, or maybe fallen off the pier leg higher up.

I think we were lucky with the weather as there was little wind and the vis was really rather good, certainly better by far than Stoney on Friday.

We went up to Trearddur, but were told the vis was poor and decided to go back to Trefor for a second dive and found the small reef off the end of the pier. A night out in Porthmadog was had as well, and we are still alive!

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few more pics from the trip, we went Saturday and Sunday and dived around high tide, max depth 6.5m.

First dive we kept under the pier went up one side and down the next, 37 mins dive time.

Kitting up on the benches was nice and easy,

Once under we saw Prawns,

Then I guess a Wrasse,

and lots of these,

Final surface swim back along the breakwater and off for Ice Cream :)

A really pleasant and gentle intro to UK sea diving, decent vis, 5 - 8 metres and 13 degs. Would have been nice to try a different site on the second day, but we felt comfy at the pier. We did briefly venture off the end to the small reef, and tried to find the off off to the side, but I gave up after about 30 seconds !

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I missed this initially. Glad you had a great weekends diving. Like the pictures. What was your set-up?
Fufi F30, better pictures with custom white balance on second dive, crab eating dogfish = un edited. Lots of light so didn't need the higher ISO settings, these were at 400 ISO, and that allowed a pretty quick shutter speed,

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Another good shore dive in the area...

Next time you're up why dont you venture a but further down the Llyn Peninsula, about 20-25 min drive from Trefor to Porthysgaden which is located near Tudweiliog. A nice easy shore dive, max depth could be anything you want it to be up to 12-15m if you venture out of the bay. Usually plenty to see but it's been a bit 'slow' this year, (although I haven't dived it in the last 5 weeks). PM me if you want more info

HTH

Irfon

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Next time you're up why dont you venture a but further down the Llyn Peninsula, about 20-25 min drive from Trefor to Porthysgaden which is located near Tudweiliog. A nice easy shore dive, max depth could be anything you want it to be up to 12-15m if you venture out of the bay. Usually plenty to see but it's been a bit 'slow' this year, (although I haven't dived it in the last 5 weeks). PM me if you want more info

HTH

Irfon
Iv,e got a place at Rhiw first week in July,,have walked Porthsygaden and fancied diving it, would appreciate info on any other nearby shore dives..

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I really should try and contribite to this thread I suppose :embarassed:

Unfortunately I only had about 6 shots available on my camera and I'd never used it before (or read the instructions lol )

These are the best 2 shots I got, but I've been too lazy to ID the little fella. I think Endoman was off crab bothering at the time :)

it actually moved upto the rock and I swear it was posing :)

It was a nice relaxed dive and although there were a few divers there, it wasn't crowded or messy.

Sad to see all the dead dogfish though and I didn't see a live one enywhere.

The reef off the end was very similar to the bits of reef under the pier but we didn't hang around long.

Second day there were loads of prawns all lined up on the sand but I'd got no camera with me and once again Endoman was off chasing crabs lol

Arfie

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Well it looks as if we are venturing back to Trefor again this weekend, I've heard rumour from a fisherman that there is a small reef off to the side of the peir? We had a look for it once before but found nothing but sand, does anyone have any foolproof (it'll need to be!) method of finding this reef?

We know about the one is off the end, but it would be nice to see the other one and see if we can get more than 40 mins underwater after a 4 hour drive.

Arfie

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice report and loved the photos

Here's some hopefully useful info for those planning a dive at trefor

1 If it's been raining the viz will be pants
2 If there has been a swell the viz will be pants
3 The guy at Vivian says it is better at low tide, I've only ever dived high tide so can't comment

Link to weather buoy for swell report NDBC - Station 62301

Link to tide info EasyTide - on-line tidal predictions from the UKHO

·
Registered
41 Posts
A couple of us were at Trefor a couple of weeks ago and were informed by some other divers on site that there is a reef off the right (East) side around the third set of pilings and straight out.

Currents were strong at the time and so we never had a chance to explore further.

Maybe of some help.

Peter.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Nice report and loved the photos

Here's some hopefully useful info for those planning a dive at trefor

1 If it's been raining the viz will be pants
2 If there has been a swell the viz will be pants
3 The guy at Vivian says it is better at low tide, I've only ever dived high tide so can't comment

Link to weather buoy for swell report NDBC - Station 62301

Link to tide info EasyTide - on-line tidal predictions from the UKHO
How right you are. I have dived it twice first time The Goat messed up the tides and we went in at low tide the viz was good. The following weekend I went again following some rain dropping mid week and we dive it on high tide and I couldnt even see my buddies fins despite me be able to touch them.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
A couple of us were at Trefor a couple of weeks ago and were informed by some other divers on site that there is a reef off the right (East) side around the third set of pilings and straight out.

Currents were strong at the time and so we never had a chance to explore further.

Maybe of some help.

Peter.
3rd pillar eh, might be worth tying a reel off and heading out then at the end of the dive. We can send Endoman off if I can stop him bothering the spider crabs :D

Arfie

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Like the fish picture. Wish I'd had viz like that when I've dived Trefor before. One day perhaps.

Would have liked to have dived today but am off for 5 days to Blackpool tomorrow so busy instead.

Enjoy Trefor and watch your kit!

Cheers

Lyv

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.