YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>While at Tekdive i sat in on a fair few of the talks.  One guy was talking about trimix irritating the lungs.  Whats the deal?  Will i be able to do it with asthma??  Depth junkie in me talking here......

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>YES, TRIMIX will irritate the lungs and i would say would 90 % cause the onset of a good asthma attack, and consider this a DANGEROUS route for you to take, unless ya want to end your diving sport quicker than expected .

Just think why a voice squeaks when HELIUM is sucked , WHY do we talk like Donald Duck ?

Andy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I dunno, i think i would like to try it on land 1st to see if thdre was any reaction.  Remember that any lung condition has to be very well controlled to even be allowed in the water.
Oh bugger, trimix is really where i want to go, i want a ferking inspiration and to go plate hunting on the Andrea Dorea.  God dammit andy.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God dammit andy.
Prog , you asked a question and i answered , very simply.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While at Tekdive i sat in on a fair few of the talks.  One guy was talking about trimix irritating the lungs.  Whats the deal?
So, are you saying that you didn't listen properly or is there something you quite didn't understand ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Will i be able to do it with asthma??
I would recommend  NO and advise you before even taking one breath of Helium is to see a HSE Diving Doc or go to nearest DDRC.

Even Dr Mary or one of my kids would tell you that " BREATHING HELIUM will constrict your airways, thats what makes you talk like Donald Duck "   NOT a good idea when you have a lung disorder anyway.

I would have thought with all your dive and medical knowledge, that you would have worked this out for yourself.
I'm not nagging or taking a pop, but just watching out for your safety.
I have dived with asthmatices before , and i set a depth limit for them , and thats MAX DEPTH of 18 mts.

Andy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 04 2004,12:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God dammit andy.
Prog , you asked a question and i answered , very simply.
<font color='#000080'>I just didnt like the answer andy, thats all, i wasnt having a go.  I know you are probably right too.

The guy at tekdive didnt go into the subject of trimix and lung irritation much, that wasnt the subject of the workshop and i didnt want to digress from the point he was making.  I meant to catch up with him later, but i got called into helping with setting up for the next speaker.
Trimix is something i just thought i could progress on to, i havent really looked into it a lot as i still have a long way to go with my experience (and bank balance) before i even start thinking about it seriously.  Plus i want a fair few more seasons of nitrox diving too.
I know that it does constrict the vocal chords, but what he was talking about was excessive production of mucus (which again is a symptom of uncontrolled asthma) not bronchoconstriction.

I know the risks i take every time i get in the water, and i understand them enough to be careful.  I think 18m is fine if asthma is a problem, but for me that would put me off the sport.  I dont like being told i cant dive something, hence the Dive Leader qualification for the depth rating.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

Just a tought, last year after a week of diving trimix I had pain in airway. What I tought was, as for a trimix dive you end up doing lot of deco on high oxygen mix, I blames it on more on oxygen. Could it be the problem comming from oxygen and not from helium. Andy I am not trying to contradict you, just a tought as I never heard about this.....from my ignorance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 04 2004,12:53)]I have dived with asthmatices before , and i set a depth limit for them , and thats MAX DEPTH of 18 mts.
<font color='#0000FF'>On what grounds Andy?

As a diver and an asthmatic who has been certified to dive to the limits of my qualifications and who regularly does, I think I'd be a bit miffed if you tried to impose your limits on me.

What are your medical qualifications?

Stu.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ April 04 2004,15:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 04 2004,12:53)]I have dived with asthmatices before , and i set a depth limit for them , and thats MAX DEPTH of 18 mts.
On what grounds Andy?

As a diver and an asthmatic who has been certified to dive to the limits of my qualifications and who regularly does, I think I'd be a bit miffed if you tried to impose your limits on me.

What are your medical qualifications?

Stu.
<font color='#000080'>I had something similar with my club when a guy said he wouldnt let me dive deeper than 30m cos my twinset was too heavy for me.

I asked him when he qualified as a doctor....

But the fact remains that if the cox or marshal has doubts about your fitness to dive he/she can stop you diving on that particular dive, or limit your depth.

This guy just made an arse of himself cos about a week later i went on a trip where every dive of the weekend was to below 30m.  No-one else on the trip had any problem with me diving (first in last out every dive.....hehe) , but then this guy talks out of his behind so much im surpried he can breathe.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>why would weight of a twinsett affect your ability to dive?
if your kit wasn't up to lifting a twinset you shouldn't dive therefore if you can do a less then 30m dive you can go over 30m

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 04 2004,15:17)]But the fact remains that if the cox or marshal has doubts about your fitness to dive he/she can stop you diving on that particular dive, or limit your depth.
Absolutely, if push comes to shove and there had to be an inquest, a coroner might very well decide that someone with Andy's mass of experience "should have know better" and applied restrictions to known asthmatics, who would want to take that chance with their livelihood? Not me.

Plus the "my boat, my call" is something most diving skippers would apply. I was discussing this with Elfyn last week, he  will ban a diver from diving if he sees evidence that they might be a hazard to theirself, either because they're unfit to dive (in a variety of meanings) or inappropriately kitted out for the dive they want to do.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Stu
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are your medical qualifications?
I have NONE what so ever, apart from the usual HSE stuff for commercial diving.The OFFSHORE sea survival first aid ( required for charter skipper ). Military advanced first aid.BASIC emergency at sea denistry.

Diving to 18 mts with someone that MAY be my buddy, that has a medical problem , is MY << and i say MY >> personal chosen depth.
If there is a problem, I PERSONALLY find it easier for me to drag them straight to the surface and get them sorted.

Andy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>noooo it was my ability to lift the thing, not my wings lift.  We were diving out of a rib (no ladders, not much lifting etc etc), so thats what pissed a lot of the girls off.  One of them even said she struggles more than i do with a 12 and a pony.  At the end of last season i was shore diving with the twins, im crap at ladders tho.  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>BSAC advice

This is what i go off.  I fit into the category very nicely, i use a preventative steroid.  I think its a bit of an arse that asthma is not as hidden (ie we carry inhalers, my Ex-DO made me get a medic alert bracelet) as some disorders that people can be ashamed of or not want to disclose, such as high blood pressure or even previous bends.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Maybe I read it wrong Andy, but just to clarify:

Is the 18m limit for your buddy, or any asthmatic diving off the Tarus?

Stu.

PS. The tone of this is beginning to bug me. I've never had a problem related to asthma whilst diving. Asthmatics are'nt some kind of diving timebomb waiting to go off when you're the dive marshall.
In fact, I'd be a hell of a lot happier diving with most of the asthmatic divers I've come across than a lot of the so called "Fit" divers I see every week.
Dont get me wrong, I dont want to come across as aggressive but all asthmatics are different, personally, as long as my DV dosent have a cat in it I'll be ok!!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ April 04 2004,16:13)]as long as my DV dosent have a cat in it I'll be ok!!
Oh that made me laugh!

You wont find me sitting in the pub for a night before a dive either, due to the fact that cigarette smoke is the biggest trigger for me.  But since you dont get much smoke below the water im fine.

My medical referee got really pissed off when his judgement was questioned in him allowing me to dive (by my club saying i was too mad to dive in that case).  It was the fact that people with no proper medical experience were being allowed to make medical judgements about other peoples health.

But as i said before it is up to the marshal/cox.

Incidentaly, following Jack Ingle's talk at Tekdive i will no longer dive with an instructor in my club as i am POSITIVE he cannot shut down his manifold when in a drysuit.  He struggles to do it in the pool in a t-shirt and (yuck) speedos.

Also Andy, if this depth restriction does apply on groups diving on Taurus, i suggest you advertise this.  I for one would be a tad annoyed to travel the length of the country (which it would be for me) to find that i cant dive the planned wreck as you wont let me dive.  Im not saying you shouldnt, im just saying that you need to make your feelings known as this would seriously spoil my day.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 04 2004,15:33)]noooo it was my ability to lift the thing, not my wings lift.  We were diving out of a rib (no ladders, not much lifting etc etc), so thats what pissed a lot of the girls off.  One of them even said she struggles more than i do with a 12 and a pony.  At the end of last season i was shore diving with the twins, im crap at ladders tho.  

& I have the pictures to prove it. LMFAO when I think back to the Brendan.  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reeve @ April 04 2004,16:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 04 2004,15:33)]noooo it was my ability to lift the thing, not my wings lift.  We were diving out of a rib (no ladders, not much lifting etc etc), so thats what pissed a lot of the girls off.  One of them even said she struggles more than i do with a 12 and a pony.  At the end of last season i was shore diving with the twins, im crap at ladders tho.  

& I have the pictures to prove it. LMFAO when I think back to the Brendan.  
<font color='#000080'>at least i can hold my beer..................  

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>OUCH, Handbags it is at 20 paces.

And anyway it was the dodgy steak and kidney pie followed by single malt nothing to do with the beer.  

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

I have an opinion (don't I always - but they are based on years traing and lots of casualties) that :-
Trimix - fully agree with Andy, any (double underline) lung problems shouldn't try it/think of it/find anyone willing to teach them.
Asthmatics and diving - no problem as long as they have not got stress/cold/exercise induced asthma and have not required a blue type inhaler in the last 2 years.

You want to see what it does to you (non lung problem) when you have to go down in the airlock with lots of masks/tubes/oxy bottles trying to find a nebuliser that works at pressure cos a casualty has had an asthmatic attack during a bend treatment  

1 - 20 of 57 Posts