YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>YES, TRIMIX will irritate the lungs and i would say would 90 % cause the onset of a good asthma attack, and consider this a DANGEROUS route for you to take, unless ya want to end your diving sport quicker than expected .

Just think why a voice squeaks when HELIUM is sucked , WHY do we talk like Donald Duck ?

Andy

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God dammit andy.
Prog , you asked a question and i answered , very simply.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While at Tekdive i sat in on a fair few of the talks.  One guy was talking about trimix irritating the lungs.  Whats the deal?
So, are you saying that you didn't listen properly or is there something you quite didn't understand ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Will i be able to do it with asthma??
I would recommend  NO and advise you before even taking one breath of Helium is to see a HSE Diving Doc or go to nearest DDRC.

Even Dr Mary or one of my kids would tell you that " BREATHING HELIUM will constrict your airways, thats what makes you talk like Donald Duck "   NOT a good idea when you have a lung disorder anyway.

I would have thought with all your dive and medical knowledge, that you would have worked this out for yourself.
I'm not nagging or taking a pop, but just watching out for your safety.
I have dived with asthmatices before , and i set a depth limit for them , and thats MAX DEPTH of 18 mts.

Andy

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Stu
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are your medical qualifications?
I have NONE what so ever, apart from the usual HSE stuff for commercial diving.The OFFSHORE sea survival first aid ( required for charter skipper ). Military advanced first aid.BASIC emergency at sea denistry.

Diving to 18 mts with someone that MAY be my buddy, that has a medical problem , is MY << and i say MY >> personal chosen depth.
If there is a problem, I PERSONALLY find it easier for me to drag them straight to the surface and get them sorted.

Andy

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is the 18m limit for your buddy, or any asthmatic diving off the Tarus?
My 18 mt limit is MY personal limit with diving with a buddy that i know that has a medical problem,AND having dived with all sorts and still do, they dive with me for this reason , that i do add a limit for the safety of the pair of us.
It has nothing to do with TAURUS DIVING what so ever.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Asthmatics are'nt some kind of diving timebomb waiting to go off when you're the dive marshall.
In fact, I'd be a hell of a lot happier diving with most of the asthmatic divers I've come across than a lot of the so called "Fit" divers I see every week.
I for ONE have nothing against and diver that may have a medical problem as long as i know, therefore if the shit does hit the fan , then i am prepared . PLUS i agree with your statement , i come across a lot of so called FIT commerical divers that can just about walk up the bloody stairs  
and wonder how they get a medical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as long as my DV dosent have a cat in it I'll be ok!!
  now theres an idea......... a DV shaped like a pussy.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Prog,

From what i was aware of from reading something about it years ago was , that as the body does it 7 yearly cycle, young kids can grow out of it by the age of 7 , or get very mild at 14.
personally i think your doing the right thing , by not sitting in smoke filled pubs ,,,,,,, I hate that also and i'm a smoker.
Also , if you was sat in the wheel house of the Taurus, i would smoke outside and out your way or at least down wind of you.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>At first i thought this was going to be very interesting topic, but the more i read it the more it pisses me off. So This is gonna be my last reply to this thread, but after telling you a real life FUCK up to someone after playing with helium.

A end of course piss up , many years ago. A large group of commercial divers sat in a bar which also had a private birthday party going on as well, to which we were invited to join in and liven it up.

From the DJ , comes " Summer loving " from the film Grease........ So, party helium filled balloon was pin pricked , and a SAT commie took a lung full,,,,,,,, up on the table he got singing away like the old JT, having everyone in fits of laughter. all was fine........

Later in the evening , it was decided that we wpold get the DJ , to replay " summer loving " and have all the commies doing routine of the piss take with a bit of extra fun.

Very soon into the act a commie fell to the floor, problems with breathing. ( which we all thought was a joke at first ), to find out that he was going BLUE ......Ambulance arrived , O2 mask was on and away he went to the hospital.

Transpired that the Helium had closed his airway, which resulted in him hving to have a Traciopomy << sp >> to make him breath.

It resulted in this man not being able to have a career in diving at all,,,,,, ( think he is now a baker ).

NOW i feel sorry for that chap, as i was one of the ring leaders in making the last gig really funny, and it stilll lives with me today.

SO, having seen what it has done to someones life, ALL i was doing / saying to PROG  was from experience alone,from my heart and what my eyes have seen,,,,,,,,,, and not from some medical book, or how helium effects DIR divers at 90 mts.
At the end of the day, Prog is 23, christ i've been around divers longers than she has been alive, and becoming the big 40 in a couple of days time, i'm beginning to think now that all them years i have learnt something.
& still learning.

I'm not into trimix diving , as i don't intend to do dives that require it, so i don't take notice or read research on it. However i do enjoy reading Chasey's and Andy P's experience with it,

ANdy

The 65 mt man that enjoys Air & Nitrox  and deffo 100% O2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.