YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is the 18m limit for your buddy, or any asthmatic diving off the Tarus?
My 18 mt limit is MY personal limit with diving with a buddy that i know that has a medical problem,AND having dived with all sorts and still do, they dive with me for this reason , that i do add a limit for the safety of the pair of us.
It has nothing to do with TAURUS DIVING what so ever.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Asthmatics are'nt some kind of diving timebomb waiting to go off when you're the dive marshall.
In fact, I'd be a hell of a lot happier diving with most of the asthmatic divers I've come across than a lot of the so called "Fit" divers I see every week.
I for ONE have nothing against and diver that may have a medical problem as long as i know, therefore if the shit does hit the fan , then i am prepared . PLUS i agree with your statement , i come across a lot of so called FIT commerical divers that can just about walk up the bloody stairs  
and wonder how they get a medical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as long as my DV dosent have a cat in it I'll be ok!!
  now theres an idea......... a DV shaped like a pussy.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Prog,

From what i was aware of from reading something about it years ago was , that as the body does it 7 yearly cycle, young kids can grow out of it by the age of 7 , or get very mild at 14.
personally i think your doing the right thing , by not sitting in smoke filled pubs ,,,,,,, I hate that also and i'm a smoker.
Also , if you was sat in the wheel house of the Taurus, i would smoke outside and out your way or at least down wind of you.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>At 24 i dunno what will happen next, it certainly hasnt got any worse.  I had to have oral steroids a few years ago cos i got a stinking chest infection (never paint your tiny room when you cant open the window).  

Roll on 28 is all i have to say.  
Other trigger for me is cheap orange juice, which is very dodgy really.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Why do we sound like Donald Duck when breathing Helium?

from the web:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Helium is an inert gas that is lighter than air and can be inhaled briefly without risk of death. Sound is produced by vibration, the movement of air around our vocal chords. Because helium gas is lighter than the usual oxygen/nitrogen blend, it changes the resonant frequency of the human vocal tract, causing a faster vibration and a higher-pitched, cartoon-character sound.
There are loads of websites with the same info on. I looked because it just didn't make sense to say it restricts the airways. It is lighter than air, so logic says it should be easier to breathe. We talked a lot about helium in Tech1 and it was only described as a divers friend, and that is why GUE recommend using it from 30 metres, and a minimum of 30% is used in all the standard gasses.

It does not restrict your airways at all, as that would make it a pretty dangerous gas to use at 90 metres for 7 hours wouldn't you say?

In fact, regulators breathe better with trimix than with air, so I would say it probably improves the efficiency of breathing at depth.

Despite this, an asthmatic of course, would be wise to get a proper medical opinion on their own specific case, with regard to diving in general, but especially if they are going to run longer run times as the gas in a cylinder is very dry and breathing it for longer may not be advisable depending on the severity of your case and how it is triggered.

Andy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angus @ April 04 2004,20:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]now theres an idea......... a DV shaped like a pussy.
I'll go for a full face one!!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and out your way or at least down wind of you.
Dunno about going downwind of Porg
 especially if she has
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]got a stinking chest

<font color='#000080'>Oi watch it!  I will come down there and headbutt your knee caps till your socks fall down.....

sod

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

Porg
I think, as wetlettuce has said above, there is confusion produced by an earlier post about the effects of helium!
It does not restrict the air ways! The change in voice is due to its density across the vocal chords, being less dense than air thats all.
I'd love to see medical references to this phenomena (restricted airways). I do know that helium finds its way into bad fillings after a weeks worth of breathing, but thats another medical condition.
I've used 60% He in a mix for a little over an hour with no adverse effects (except a very clear memory of the dive). Other more roughy toughy deep divers have used it for far longer, without problems of this kind being reported.
If you are fit to dive compressed air with your condition I bet you a won't have a problem with trimix.
Looking in the International Textbook of Mixed Gas Diving by H.K.J. Lettnin he makes no comment about this irritation.
Don't be put off by old wives tales
Alan (cough - pass the oxygen please)

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>At first i thought this was going to be very interesting topic, but the more i read it the more it pisses me off. So This is gonna be my last reply to this thread, but after telling you a real life FUCK up to someone after playing with helium.

A end of course piss up , many years ago. A large group of commercial divers sat in a bar which also had a private birthday party going on as well, to which we were invited to join in and liven it up.

From the DJ , comes " Summer loving " from the film Grease........ So, party helium filled balloon was pin pricked , and a SAT commie took a lung full,,,,,,,, up on the table he got singing away like the old JT, having everyone in fits of laughter. all was fine........

Later in the evening , it was decided that we wpold get the DJ , to replay " summer loving " and have all the commies doing routine of the piss take with a bit of extra fun.

Very soon into the act a commie fell to the floor, problems with breathing. ( which we all thought was a joke at first ), to find out that he was going BLUE ......Ambulance arrived , O2 mask was on and away he went to the hospital.

Transpired that the Helium had closed his airway, which resulted in him hving to have a Traciopomy << sp >> to make him breath.

It resulted in this man not being able to have a career in diving at all,,,,,, ( think he is now a baker ).

NOW i feel sorry for that chap, as i was one of the ring leaders in making the last gig really funny, and it stilll lives with me today.

SO, having seen what it has done to someones life, ALL i was doing / saying to PROG  was from experience alone,from my heart and what my eyes have seen,,,,,,,,,, and not from some medical book, or how helium effects DIR divers at 90 mts.
At the end of the day, Prog is 23, christ i've been around divers longers than she has been alive, and becoming the big 40 in a couple of days time, i'm beginning to think now that all them years i have learnt something.
& still learning.

I'm not into trimix diving , as i don't intend to do dives that require it, so i don't take notice or read research on it. However i do enjoy reading Chasey's and Andy P's experience with it,

ANdy

The 65 mt man that enjoys Air & Nitrox  and deffo 100% O2

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Not a post to argue with anyone, or inflame anything.

The irritation being referred to is related to oxygen exposure.... not the helium. Long duration dives and high O2 mixes on deco arent the most lung friendly things. The helium in the mix is definitely a good idea....

As for the whole athsma bit, find a good diving doctor.... Doc Adey down in portsmouth is worth a call.... or Phil Bryson at DDRC.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I'll be honest with you Andy, I do struggle with your point of view re:Trimix.  The density - or lack thereof - of the gas does explain the Donald Duck thing, though I admit to not knowing its effect on asthmatics.  As per Alan57 I've dived a few pretty heavy mixes with basically no side effects - As far as I'm concerned (leaning on my own admittedly limited experience as opposed to some of the luminaries diving the stuff, not least including the DIR crew) I'm fine with it.

Without casting any aspersions regarding the 'Summer Loving' incident I'm more inclined to wonder what exactly was in the tin he was breathing from & what his physical state was as the time.  I've had a breathe of pure He and it nearly knocked me flat on my back; if what he was breathing wasn't reasonably Normoxic then this might explain what happened.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Most 'helium' ballons have at least 20% 02 in them. This is because everyone does the same trick of breathing the helium and doing donald duck impressions.

If they contained 100% helium then there would be a real risk of asphyxiation. This may be what happened in the story Andy described and is consistent with Rob's experience.

However, when it comes down to it I have to agree with Andy that caution is the most important thing here. Trimix diving as an way to get into deep diving and in fact ANY deep diving needs to be approached very carefully.

There are many conditions which would allow you to do 'normal' diving but which may make you pause for thought before going on to technical diving.

Porg, if you intend to go down this route then I would talk to a medical referee, preferably one with specific experience of trimix. Doc Adey is a good choice as he is also a TDI instructor and was expedition doctor for the joint services expedition to the Repulse and Prince of Wales.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello Prog,

If it was me I would go for a good diving doctor, I had same problem when I had a bad shoulder injury but now I am fine with tech diving. Choosing a good doc is very inportant as many will try to cover their ass with saying do not dive trimix.

A question...can people suffering from ashma use pure oxygen as I think I read it some where or was it something else? And if yes, if you deco at max Ppo2 1.4 would it be same as diving on air to depth? People who suffer from asmha there are many degrees of level they suffer it?

Regards

Pierre

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zaksherlock @ April 04 2004,23:00)]As for the whole athsma bit, find a good diving doctor.... Doc Adey down in portsmouth is worth a call.... or Phil Bryson at DDRC.
<font color='#0000FF'>Bingo Zak, Phil was the dude I saw, many years ago now tho.

Stu.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>One thing to add, there was a recent troll on Dnet, from Merkin I think.
Somthing about taking helium balloons underwater etc etc.
Some knowledgeable chap came along and said that there was allsorts in Balloon He, including lots of CO + CO2.

And yes pierre, those with VERY severe asthma or any chronic lung complaint (Emphaseyma (Spl?) ETC) should not be treated with/use O2.
But as it says in the manual, they probably wouldnt be diving either.

Stu.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ April 05 2004,11:21)]Some knowledgeable chap came along and said that there was allsorts in Balloon He, including lots of CO + CO2.
Balloon gas is to the helium users in industry what mechanically recovered meat is to the gormet resteraunt trade. Its basically the junk thats too impure for the diving, medical and other industries. I wouldn't breathe it if you paid me.  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ok i have emailed the DDRC to get an answer, but im not holding out for any good news.  GOD DAMMIT I HATE THE WORLD.  I want to go plate hunting on the Andrea Dorea, dive the Brittanic and U boats off cape wrath, i want to go cave diving to stupid depths and i want a YBOD.

*sob sob*

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Ten dollah?  

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.