YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 05 2004,13:32)]Ok i have emailed the DDRC to get an answer, but im not holding out for any good news.  GOD DAMMIT I HATE THE WORLD.  I want to go plate hunting on the Andrea Dorea, dive the Brittanic and U boats off cape wrath, i want to go cave diving to stupid depths and i want a YBOD.

*sob sob*
<font color='#8D38C9'>you can still have a YBOD

the rest of it is just idle fantasy anyway

I meam who really wants to dive fairly intact wrecks with decent vis  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>idle fantasy my arse, i had it all planned............ *waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh* deep breath *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*
sniff sniff *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Helen,

One of my regular Trimix buddies has asthma - controlled (technical bit now) the brown and the blue inhalers. I think the brown one is steroidal.

He's been cleared no probs and dives mix without dramas.

Juz

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Don't give up hope just yet.

See a doc, get the OK, go for it.

A wise man once said "if you don't have a dream how you gonna have a dream come true"

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ April 05 2004,11:21)]And yes pierre, those with VERY severe asthma or any chronic lung complaint (Emphaseyma (Spl?) ETC) should not be treated with/use O2.
But as it says in the manual, they probably wouldnt be diving either.

Stu.
Sorry Stu, but I have to heartily disagree with you there.

Whilst there is a VERY rare condition of hypoxic drive (cautioning, not contraindicating) the use of oxygen in some chronic obstructive airways disease patients (I have seen only two cases in the last 9 years, most of it spent working in A&E) hypoxia kills faster.

ALL asthmatics should have 100% oxygen, the decision to withold oxygen should only be made by someone with a set of arterial blood gases for the patient in their hand and the ability to interpret them.

Paraquat poisoning is a relative contraindication for oxygen, but if there is respiratory distress is should still be considered.

In a diving situation, you are unlikely to find anyone with hypoxic drive as they would go into respiratory arrest at depth due to the increased ppO2 at depth.

Dom

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juz @ April 05 2004,13:52)]Helen,

One of my regular Trimix buddies has asthma - controlled (technical bit now) the brown and the blue inhalers. I think the brown one is steroidal.

He's been cleared no probs and dives mix without dramas.

Juz
<font color='#000080'>Now THAT is what i want to hear!  

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Fair enough Dom, only quoting what I've read.

I think somtimes manuals generalise, whereas your experience is obviously current and specific.
We live and learn!

Stu.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>well just my input (bearing in mind that I am not qualified in diving medicine).

If the high voice is due to bronchospasm, why don't asthmatics go like donald duck when they have an attack? I thought it was something to do with the low molecular weight.  In fact some ITUs use heliox for acute asthmatics because it reduces the work of breathing.

HTH
Fee

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I got this today from DDRC

Dear Helen,

Despite the problems with diving as an asthmatic; diving on helium usually causes no problems as long as it does not cause wheezing. It is a smaller, lighter gas and thus 50% Helium with Oxygen is very useful in A&E for asthma attacks as the gas is easier to breathe. Thus in theory, asthmatics should have no problems with its use under water. The depths and the times of diving may be another factor all together..

It does cause a more rapid loss of temperature if you breathe it for a while, and as you noted it is expensive!

I hope that this helps

Fiona

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Great news!

Dream still intact

Now all you need to do is sort out a small fortune for all the kit, courses and gas.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I'd have a wee find out about the O2 exposure as well Helen. IIRC *one* of the reasons behing O2 breaks is to let the fluid build-up on your lungs subside to help the gas exchange. I don't know how this fluid would affect yourself with regards to off-gassing and general "asthmatickyness"(Can you guess I just made that word up?.

Just a thought!
Peter

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.