YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

ok, with the exception of Andy (dales) and Adam at the cape...who's who in t.mix instruction in the UK?

I'm not discounting either Andy or Adam,  

but at this point I want to look at all my options.  

As I see it, this is one of the most important steps in my instruction...leading to open possibilities of depth (within reason) and 'type' of diving.

I think it is very important to see who is out there and what's on offer.

any thoughts...please dive in.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi JP,
My mate Efyn did his Trimix course a couple of years ago with
Jack Ingle and said he was very thorough and a good teacher.
I think he,s from daan saath but does courses all over the place.
He's the tech expert in the bsac comic Diver ( or is it Dive, now?)
Anyway, he's another one for your options list.
All the best,
Terry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

Well if you do not mind traveling down south or maybe they can travel up the country, Phil Short, Simon Ross Deveau, Martin Robson. Have a look on the IANTD uk website, you can get a listing from there.

As for TDI course I am not really sure, but I do know there are loadsa trimix instructors avalible through TDI but there are only a select few IANTD ones in the UK, the course requirements to get to IANTD Trimix Instructor are not that easy, not that I am saying TDI is but, the number of instructors avalible I think has something to say for itself

but not having done either course with either training agency, I would be honest and say that it really does depend on the instructor and what you want out of the course

one little pointer I always mention on a comparison with IANTD and TDI, with IANTD you are qualified to dive any depth any gas any configuration with TDI (if I recall correctly) you are limited to 70-90
?
not sure

beck

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Guys

Personally i would recomend Jack Ingle as i am totally impressed with his presentation, common sence and top instructor ability.

He is the BSAC technical expert and is finalising the BSAC Trimix course, but he is also TDI and IANTD i beleve. He combines good aspects from just about everywhere to give top dollar stuff.

Cant find his e-mail address at the moment but they will have it at BSAC Technical (Alistair Reynolds):- [email protected]

May be worth tryin [email protected]

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

I wouldn't use Jingle I've seen him talk (ie pay him) people to do courses they didn't need before teaching them the course they wanted.

A search on the web will reveal some of the shite he's said during courses. Hell you can find criticism of him on the BSAC's own forum.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Not seen any of that critisism and my recomendation is based on a personal view of what i've seen, which is far better than many other instructors.

I've sat through several of his presentations and not paid anything for them. I have listened carfully to everything said and only have one small point i dont agree on. But then again when can you get divers to agree totally on something, espesually an hour long presentations worth.

IMHO he is very good value for money, and talks total sence.

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>HMMM Jack,

Well i did the Adv Nitrox course with him some years ago,

First day saturday.

Arrived at his house,( his front room ) is a well designed lec room, was greeted with a coffee made by his wife, then got on with the lessons,only 3 pupils.... lunchtime, well ploughmans lunch and more food than you could shake a stick at,loads of coffe and drinks,sat in the sun in his back garden,afternoon of lessons ,,,, what a hard day.

Sunday.

He arrived on our boat with loads of kit,had to dive in the harbour
as it was too choppy to go out, but the 3rd chap that was with us , should have gone home ,what a usless pri** he was...

Anyway lunch in the pub, ( Jack's round ).. personally i thought he was good,,, despite him knowing an ex boss of mine and him trying to perswede me to be a BSAC diver cox instructor ,,, but thats another story....

ANdy

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Doing mine (TDI) with a guy called Joe Davin, calls his company Joe Diver in Evesham, seems to play the game straight and to be honest, I trust him.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

As Andy (Dales) has already been mentioned I was just wondering if you were aware that Andy is a TDI Trimix Instructor trainer.... in other words he teachs the guys who teach you... Not too shabby eh? plus this is a guy who is diving just about every other day... deep too.

They say that if you need to pick an instructor then pick one that does the type of diving that you want to do and make sure he does it regularly, well if Andy isn't teaching trimix diving or teaching trimix instructors then he's usually diving trimix just for his own pleasure.

I'd say that you'll be in capable hands although I'm also aware that there are many good instructor around too and so you do need to make some enquiries.

I hope this helps
All of the best in your choice, I know I've already made mine
regards
Dave.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

For what it's worth I've heard numerous top-notch reports about an instructor called Izzy who operates out of the Underwater Explorers in Portland.  Apparently very passionate, experienced and knowledgeable about all things dive-related.

He teaches Trimix, although one of his pet projects is DIS-UK and he therefore teaches in the DIR (or I suppose DIS) style.

I will stress that I have never dived with him and this is purely based on what I have heard

take care and happy hunting...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

thanks Dave, as I said, I know Andy and am very aware he is a busy boy under water...but want to look round all the same.

Ralphy, I also have heard good things about Izzy...Anyone done a course with him?  I'm not against thre principles of DIR (see Tek Talk Dir topic...probably thre longest running??) but want to see all view points.  I am diving Portland and staying at break water this easter, so will be bending Izzy's ear.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

Hi JP
There's a decent chap called Mark Ninnim who posts with some degree of regularity on DIVERNET.  He is (or at least was up till very recently) heavily involved with the Portland Underwater Explorers operation and I think may actually be Izzey's assistant instructor.

Check out the site and you should find a recent(ish) post from him somewhere and you can send him an e-mail.  When I had hoped to get over there at the end of last summer he was really helpful with everything from course content/price and accommodation so you could do a lot worse than get hold of him.

good luck mate

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

I can thoroughly recommend Izzy's courses.  He is highly professional, an excellent instructor and his teaching style is very laid back and fun.  He is very much DIS rather than DIR and takes a pragmatic approach to kit configuration and the whole DIR philosophy.  I did my Advanced Nitrox Course with him last year and am continuing on to do my Trimix once the weather improves.  

There is a good article on DIS at

Lanny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts