YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the end of this you may think it should have been posted in the incidents forum ! :redface:

So Friday morning bright & early ,3.30 am :frown: leave home & drive to the Ndac for a trimix course .Met Ash (Dr T ) there & we talked crap untill everybody else arrived about 10 am . Plan was to do a shake down dive so that the instructor Steve (manx856) could assess us .
Well due to blown out dives I had never got round to actually trying to dive with 2 stages so it was going to be interesting .I thought "well I added a 7L ally & left of the 150m KT reel so we're about right ,it works in the sea so here goes ! " It didn't work ,what had been lovely clear viz from pontoon to the bottom was now zero .I didn't land on the bottom more, ploughed into it leaving a crater .First thought was " Sh*t my ears hurt ,better try equalising " .I just could not stay of the bottom ,as soon as I stopped finning I sank like a boulder . As you can imagine on exiting everybody ripped the P something rotten led mainly by Ash ! ( revenge comes later ;) ) .Steve decided that I needed to lose some weight but that was a problem as I didn't have any lead on ,So loose the Argon bottle & run the suit from the 50% stage ,loose the CD umbilical torch & rely on a Q40 & last but not least loose the lid of my KT frame .
By this time I was so totally dejected that I decided if it didn't get better on the 2nd dive I was canning the course & going home ! I even told SWMBO to include me in the dinner plan but thankfully the seconmd dive was a lot better .
Day 2 started with a 50m 20min dive using tables & timers & other than Steve moaning that I took to long to descend everything went to plan .

Second dive was going to be more skills & drills with full OC bailout ascent , Other than me forgetting to switch to low set point & having to faff around the menu it went ok untill we got to our gas switch depth ,I switched & there was a horrible weazing sound as if some one had drawn their dying breath .Quick check & I'm still breathing & nothings bubbling .Steve has immediatley spun round to look assuming that its me after all my problems ,but it's not me it's Ash (told you revenge :teeth: ) he switched & suddenly there was air escaping at a rate from the hose to 2nd stage union ,unfortunately 5 seconds later there was no union as they seperated completly :embarassed: Steve sopon helped sort it out & then it was time to deploy smb's & ascend only I got a reverse block at 6m & dropped to clear it without realising the line had jumped the real & proceeded to jam solid ,as can be imagined much mickey taking back on the pontoon :cry:
So back to the hotel & an exam paper ! This was were I discovered how much I had forgotten but got there in the end .
So final day 70m for 15 min, Errr sorry not enough bailout so replan .Eventually 60m for 8 minutes with back up for 65m for 13min
Steve tells us that if ANYBODY exceeds 60m we must run the back up plan ,so guess who broke it ? yup yours truelly ,but in fairness only by 0.2.
It was already a forgone thing as Steve deliberately went to about 65m to make us run the back up plan .Everything to plan & a leisurely swim back to the pontoon .
In conclusion I did enjoy the easy going ( Beasting ) of the course with a group of great people who were prepared to put up with a muppet who had forgotten a lot .
Thanks to Steve for the patience ,to Lara for surface support & doing up my crutch strap :redface: & to Edd for helping me with the dive planning & putting up with my snoring ! Sorry it was so long :teeth:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.