YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'm sure this question's been asked before, but I shall again.

Having completed the BSAC advanced nitrox course, I thought I might do the ERD prior to entry trimix. However due to a lack of demand they rarely run the courses.

This has left me looking at the TDI / IANTD route etc. The other thing I found out was that I'd have to re-do the Nitrox as BSAC's course limits you to 50% mix & the others are 100%  and is required for the decompresion procedures course. So my questions are this.

What is the difference between the courses offered?

Which course / training organisation did you choose and why?

Is the ERD worth doing or should it be skipped and straight into entry trimix? (I would consider CCR at some stage in the future if my diving/ finances req'd/ allowed)

Has anybody found this problem with the BSAC Nitrox course & what did you do?

gareth

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Im interested too.  I have done the IANTD advanced nitrox and will be looking to do my trimix too.  By the time i get to that stage i should be an advanced diver too.

Porglet

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Porg,

I guess my situation is similar to yours, almost completed my Dive Leader, all except exam, and will be starting Advanced shortly after. Completed BSAC Advanced Nitrox and IFC. However it seems that to any further I have to redo my Nitrox. At least it has given me the experience to know I want to go further & dive some serious wrecks.

g

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

Give a well known dive centre a ring - I called Rich Stevenson about something similar and he was very helpful.  Lots of cynics will say not to cause they just want custom and if you think that call a few and see what they say and balance up the arguements.  Personally I dont think that the ERD will be alot of use - I would just head straight to baby trimix although you need to be dived up and a fair lick of twinset dives in with at least one stage.  As regards the baby mix to be honest there doesnt seem to be much difference between TDI and IANTD - I have looked into it a fair bit cause I want to do baby mix too and have decided on Rich Stevenson - wanted to go at the end of theh past season but was too skint and had to pull out so hope to get it in next year.  There was someone asking about deep blue in these forums so look that up too.  I think the trick is to find a good instructor at this level and doesnt seem to matter what agency but in the abilities of the teacher.  
Dinger

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

exam is easy as long as you revise - put the work in and its cool.  I got something like 92% - i think that is the most i have ever got in any exam ever!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

TDI Advanced Nitrox
TDI Deco Procedures
TDI Entry Level Trimix

= 70m with a clear head and the abuility to remember the dive.

It was the cheepest way to get there and with the right instructor just as good as any other way to get there. Werll worth the effort and the cash if your planning 40m+ diving.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Mark.
Did you do the Trimix with the guy we tried out the inspiration in wraysbury, Mark something ?

If so would you reccomend him and how many days/dives is the course. ?

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes I did it with Paul. If you want someone who is going to rip your mask off without warning whilst shutting down your isolator he is not for you. He dosent beleive in all that. But if you want an informative, experianced and patient instructor he is your man.

We did a combined Decompresion procedures and Trimix course One day theory One day two dives at Stony on the box doing simulated deco. Then two proper dives one on the Moldavia and one on the Duke. That was my choice you could do the deep dives at the NDC.

As Paul said the course fits the student so if you feel you want more or he feels you need more then thats what you get.

I did Advanced Nitrox at Wraysbury dont bother going there for training. It took about 8 monts to get my cert card. I might have a downer on them because i was the first student ever for my instructor and he admited to not having done much diving in the UK apart from puddles.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Padi Nitrox
TDI Adv Nitrox
TDI ER
TDI Entry trimix
TDI Adv. Trimix

If you can go to entry trimix instead of ER course I think you can benefit more. Why go 50m on air considering your enviorment cold and maybe even dark!

Prog, you are preparing for our deep wrecks?! Stubborn sub, Plate ship, HMS southwold .

Maybe a day I should organise a tech trip to here obviously I come with pickup and you with plane!

Regards

Pierre

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Mark,

Who is Paul? Is he based at Wrasbury?

thx g.

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reeve @ Dec. 07 2003,10:52)]Mark,

Who is Paul? Is he based at Wrasbury?

thx g.
Not quite but he is local. (High Wycombe)

Paul R Marks

Aquanaut Diving www.aquanaut.org.uk

07860 239332

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Mark

Thanks for the information. I'll give him a ring and see what he suggests. Hgih Wycombe is only an hour or so away & if the training's at the NDC even better.

thx. gareth

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Imported post

Good advise I think here from many people.

The ERD is too deep on air when you have trimix available readily as we do in the UK.  Looks like you have figured that one.

The BSAC Advanced EAN is not recognised as you have not done equivalent air depth calcs and work which is what you need for the TDI/IANTD courses.  This is because the BSAC course still uses the 88 tables as far as I can see (not having done the BSAC course myself).

If you do the IANTD course you will be introduced to PPO2s of greater than 1.4ATA and then welcome to the debate in BSAC about whether this takes you outside of BSAC's insurance (lots on the in-depth forum of the BSAC forum).

Enjoy...

Chris

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

My advice would be NOT to do the BSAC tech courses and go to TDI or IANTD. Even if it were not for the fact that you can pick an instructor who actually knows and does what you are being taught (very common in BSAC to have instructors on some little run courses that do not do or know this) but you will be taught with proper Buhlmann instead of tha C**p BSAC 88 tables.
You then send off a couple of quid and get an enabling statement from BSAC for your logbook and you are a recognised trimix diver, best of both worlds!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chrisch @ Dec. 08 2003,08:48)]If you do the IANTD course you will be introduced to PPO2s of greater than 1.4ATA and then welcome to the debate in BSAC about whether this takes you outside of BSAC's insurance (lots on the in-depth forum of the BSAC forum).

Enjoy...

Chris
<font color='#000F22'>Chris,

Is this PPO2 i.e 1.6 only applicable to the IANTD or is an approach of the TDI course as well.

Rupert, already BSAC adv nitrox cer'd, but only now do I see the disadvantage of the course. However it has shown me that I wish to continue my training and from that point of view it has given my a year of nitrox and decompression diving, to familiarise myself and decide that i'd like to waste a couple of grand more.

What are equilivant air depths? or is it as per statement where you work out bottom time using relative mixes and depths.

gareth

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Gareth,

Keep me informed.  I am interested in doing TDI advanced Nitrox and deco procedures as is one of my mates.  If the price is right with the guy Chasey has recommended and the dates fit I might be interested.  

And much more fun doing a course with 2 or 3 than just one.

NDC works for me as well.

Hey who knows I might even be interested in the entry level Trimix...  So much to do so little money  

Daz

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Hi Reeve,
I notice you are in cardiff. I have just enquired today about a ERD course with BSAC and they will be running a course in May 2004 in the south-west (probably Vobster), you do not HAVE to do the ERD before the Entry level Trimix, it is up to your instructor to assess your ability and experience. I did my TDI adv.nitrox and Deco procedures with Bristol Channel diving services at the NDC.  contact Sophie Rennie (south west SDC coach) @ BSAC

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnDuncan @ Dec. 08 2003,19:37)]...I have just enquired today about a ERD course with BSAC and they will be running a course in May 2004 in the south-west (probably Vobster), ...contact Sophie Rennie (south west SDC coach) @ BSAC
The organising Instructor is Phil Harrison (not the Chairman!)

Contact [email protected]

Adrian

PS. I must now put this info on the BSAC-SW website, once I have tidied it up.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I am trying to contact Phil at the moment, the dates I have been given by Sophie seems to be wrong ?5th May 2004? is it planned for midweek?

What BSAC-SW website?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts