YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All

Got myself a shiny new dry suit, which is cool, but the neck seal is astoundingly tight. I'm no expert, but Im sure you're not supposed to feel like blacking out within 60 seconds with the wife standing there laighing her head at the fetching indigo colour of your head.

I'm told that I can simply trim the neck seal down to avoid such unwated side effects whilst maintaining integrity of the suit.

Now I know this is a newbie question, and just begging for sarcasm, but exactly how tight should this seal be on my neck, and what is the proper way to trim it without buggering it up.

Cheers for any help.

Gareth

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Before you trim, be patient. Try stuffing a football in the seal and letting it stretch a little. Most seals will slacken off a little over time. The number of seal I have seen that are useless because of some over zelous trimming is scary.

A little gentle warming, and I mean gentle with a hair drier can help. And then if all else fails trim a 5mm bit off at a time.

Andrew

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Be careful not to leave any jagged nicks in it though or you could tear it.  
Also lubricate your neck with moisturizers to let it move into the most comfortable place and avoid those embarassing rashes.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Or stick a cylinder through the neck seal over night.

It should be reasonably tight but not to the point where you go a funny colour.

A couple of words of warning,  some lubricants will rot the neck seal, KY jelly will not perish the latex seal.

If trimming it then you need to trim off a fraction at a time.   The small amount you trim will make quite a difference all the way around.

If you bought it from a dive shop, go back and see if they will trim it for you if neccessary.  

Finally if you do trim it yourself, then as said before make sure it is nice and even, no nicks that can tear.  Find the sharpest implement possible for trimming and then look around for something even sharper  
  My LDS use a pair of extremely sharp sewing scissors.

HTH
Daz

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Gareth,

I'm not sure if you have a latex or neoprene neck seal. If it is latex there should (probably?) be concentric circles visible on the inside of the seal to give you a guide for trimming.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My basic rule of thumb for trimming seals:

Don't.

Hope this was of help

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AndyP @ Sep. 03 2003,23:57)]The number of seal I have seen that are useless because of some over zelous trimming is scary.
Oy ! I resemble that remark

/me still looking for a suitable sized elastic band...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Sep. 04 2003,14:09)]My basic rule of thumb for trimming seals:

Don't.

Hope this was of help
especially don't let a pissed mate (even if he's a 1st class diver and regional instructor), attack it with nail scissors!  

1 - 8 of 8 Posts