YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just got back from an amazing trip to Norway aboard Gaelic Rose.

The trip report is a long one.....

Norway from Bergen on Gaelic Rose

For me, like many others, a trip to spend a week wreck diving in the cool clear water of the Norwegian Fjords has been high on my list of ‘must go’ locations for a number of years. When some friends proposed a trip at the back end of last summer I leapt at the chance. We chartered Bob Jones and Gaelic Rose and as most of those on the trip already knew each other we sat back to look forward with eager anticipation to a sociable week with some great diving in the first week of June 2007.

Travelling to Bergen from Poole was always going to be a long trek. As three of us were travelling from Poole at we decided to travel together. The others were travelling from all over the country so with a total of 7 rebreathers (3 Ourobouros, 2 Evolution, 1 Inspiration and a classic kiss) 5 twin-sets and a mountain of stage bottles, dry suits and other paraphernalia we established that flying was not an option and opted to travel by ferry from Newcastle to Bergen. We packed two large cars and a Hi-top Van and booked 3 4 berth Cabins for the 26 hour ferry journey. At 3am on Friday 1st June (my Birthday), we set off from Poole, collecting others as we travelled the length of the country. 10AM saw the whole group in North Shields in plenty of time for the Ferry all of us having had a trouble free journey.

If you want to read the rest and see the pictures I have put it on my blog to save Jays bandwidth......

Diving- Home and Away

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Alan, a great report i am green with envy :(

I really need to do a Norway Trip.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write your report! Brought back a few memories. The Wilhelm is indeed a truely awesome wreck. Absolutely massive! Will never forget dropping down to 40m, and being able to look down to 70m to the seabed and the He divers down there, and up to the surface - superb!!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Alan, a great report i am green with envy :(

I really need to do a Norway Trip.
Paul,

Wern't you going to organise a trip for next year? I recall you saying something about it, and me pm'ing you asking to be considered for a place?

Dave C

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul,

Wern't you going to organise a trip for next year? I recall you saying something about it, and me pm'ing you asking to be considered for a place?

Dave C
I would seriously consider it!!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Paul,

Dave C
Yes i am thinking about it still and yes you did, funny enough i had another PM about organising a trip there last week.

At the moment i am somewhat snowed under with stuff though.

·
YBOD and loving it
110 Posts
That's the trip I'm after

Hi all, just got back from an amazing trip to Norway aboard Gaelic Rose.

The trip report is a long one.....

Norway from Bergen on Gaelic Rose

For me, like many others, a trip to spend a week wreck diving in the cool clear water of the Norwegian Fjords has been high on my list of ‘must go’ locations for a number of years. When some friends proposed a trip at the back end of last summer I leapt at the chance. We chartered Bob Jones and Gaelic Rose and as most of those on the trip already knew each other we sat back to look forward with eager anticipation to a sociable week with some great diving in the first week of June 2007.

Travelling to Bergen from Poole was always going to be a long trek. As three of us were travelling from Poole at we decided to travel together. The others were travelling from all over the country so with a total of 7 rebreathers (3 Ourobouros, 2 Evolution, 1 Inspiration and a classic kiss) 5 twin-sets and a mountain of stage bottles, dry suits and other paraphernalia we established that flying was not an option and opted to travel by ferry from Newcastle to Bergen. We packed two large cars and a Hi-top Van and booked 3 4 berth Cabins for the 26 hour ferry journey. At 3am on Friday 1st June (my Birthday), we set off from Poole, collecting others as we travelled the length of the country. 10AM saw the whole group in North Shields in plenty of time for the Ferry all of us having had a trouble free journey.

If you want to read the rest and see the pictures I have put it on my blog to save Jays bandwidth......

Diving- Home and Away
Excellent trip report.

I was asking on another thread for advice on where to go for my next holiday. I've just found it!

If anyone does organise a trip next year, I'll invite myself along!

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent trip report.

I was asking on another thread for advice on where to go for my next holiday. I've just found it!

If anyone does organise a trip next year, I'll invite myself along!

Cheers, Paul
Paul, i'm sure you would love it. I will go again, but i think i'll do somewhere warm next.

Alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.